newbie question about online banks and ebay

gvsbdisco
Community Member

I recently sold something on ebay for the first time in years.  I faced the issue of having to give my banking information to ebay.  I created an account with tangerine and then tried to add that account to ebay profile.  When doing so I was informed by ebay that they do not support that financial institution.  Seems to me that is wrong.  So two possibilities:

1. I just created the Tangerine account minutes before I tried to add it to ebay.  Is there a delay?

2. I created the wrong kind of Tangerine account?  I created a standard checking account.  

I used 00152 as the transit number and 614 as the financial institution number. 

Finally, if I can't get Tangerine to work have people successfully got 'simplii financial' working with ebay? If so, what kind of acccount do i need to create?

thanks.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: newbie question about online banks and ebay

I had Simplii on two of my selling accounts and it worked fine for a few months, then suddenly eBay informed me that it was not supported.

Except.

On one account it was still supported  and only on the other one was it suddenly refused after working fine for months.

I ended up after Chats with eBay staff, allowing eBay to use a household account.

Don't try to solve this through phone calls. The phone reps work for a subcontractor in Utah and are poorly trained. They have problems with concepts like "Canada is not a US state".
At least the Philippino ones probably have a cousin who immigrated to Winnipeg which gives them a more worldly perspective, but they are even more constrained by the script--written by Americans who... see above.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

These accounts are covered by well trained eBay employees.

You might not get the answer you want but you should be able to get registered.

And all your names must match.
If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, you cannot have a bank account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, a Managed Payment account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith, and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

And there have been problems reported with the micro-deposits, so go with other ID, like a driving license or passport.

You can use your SIN if you want, but you are not required to.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

That’s weird that this is the second ‘Tangerine’ account doesn’t work in as many days. I opened a tangerine account for eBay when managed payments started and it has worked flawlessly from the beginning. Including payments this month. I’m more inclined to believe there was a setup error vs it’s not supported.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

1. I just created the Tangerine account minutes before I tried to add it to ebay.  Is there a delay?

You already have some great advice here about help with customer service (and a seller who is also with Tangerine) but in regards to your question about having only set the account up a few minutes before I would say definitely yes, there would be at least some kind of delay. I know even doing in-branch set up for new accounts you usually have to wait at least  a few hours (sometimes 24) before some things will work and/or show up. I'd say try again tomorrow if it was just set up this afternoon! Good luck!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

1. Tangerine checking accounts are definitely supported by the ebay payments system. My payouts have been transferred to and received by such an account with no issues whatsoever for well over a year now.

2. QUOTE: " I just created the Tangerine account minutes before I tried to add it to ebay."
I'm confused by this comment, this doesn't read like you're in the correct place to upload your personal and bank account info to ebay payments.
What happens when you click on the Payments tab in Seller Hub?
If you've never before initiated the submission and approval process for ebay payments perhaps a prompt to do so is available there.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I wish eBay would Hold attempts to upload a new listing if there is not a Managed Payments account attached.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I just made my first sale on Ebay and have had a tangerine account for several years .It's a checking account and I have a visa debit card issued for transactions with that account .By the way Tangerine is owned by The Bank of Nova Scotia and Tangerine customers use Bank of Nova Scotia banking machines.Anyhow I was told to update my account information and was immediately told that eBay doesn't support Tangerine Banking for payments and to open a different bank account or I won't get paid.So this is great news for any new seller who has Tangerine for banking .Sellers should be told this before hand at least to save a lot of headaches .I think probably my first and last sale on Ebay when they can't get the payments to me .I mean really anyone else can send payments to my Tangerine Checking account.Why can't Ebay .
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@ampfreakindan wrote:

I mean really anyone else can send payments to my Tangerine Checking account.Why can't Ebay .

I responded more fully on the other thread to which you're posted, but can you give a few examples of the "anyone elses" who can deposit funds to your Tangerine account?  I'm assuming you're referring to things like direct deposits from employers.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

i am in the situation right now - longterm Tangerine account, but ebay saying it won't accept it! how did you manage to get paid in the long run? did you still manage to get paid to the tangerine account?

@ampfreakindan wrote:
I just made my first sale on Ebay and have had a tangerine account for several years .It's a checking account and I have a visa debit card issued for transactions with that account .By the way Tangerine is owned by The Bank of Nova Scotia and Tangerine customers use Bank of Nova Scotia banking machines.Anyhow I was told to update my account information and was immediately told that eBay doesn't support Tangerine Banking for payments and to open a different bank account or I won't get paid.So this is great news for any new seller who has Tangerine for banking .Sellers should be told this before hand at least to save a lot of headaches .I think probably my first and last sale on Ebay when they can't get the payments to me .I mean really anyone else can send payments to my Tangerine Checking account.Why can't Ebay .

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I am facing the same dilemma, time to get paid and EBay is saying Tangerine is not good enough. They suspended my selling activities now until I get a new bank. For the 11th consecutive year, Tangerine Bank has ranked #1 among Midsize Banks in the J.D. Power 2022 Canada Retail Banking Satisfaction Study. With over 2 million Clients and more than $40 billion in total assets, it’s one of Canada’s leading digital banks. E bay needs to pull up their socks and make some changes. Very poor service for being an e commerce big boy.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

This problem would be solved if eBay did not "index" and upload new listings when the seller does not have a registered Managed Payments account.

Even though this is a ZOMBIE THREAD from August 2022, nothing has been done to correct the situation.

• The reason for making Managed Payments harder to register seems to be a mixture of requiring that all the account names match exactly
  • A US company and their Netherlands processor being unclear on Canadian banks
  • phone reps who are unclear on the concept of "Canada is a sovereign nation" . The  actual employees on the social media account Chats are a little better, but are working with the first two problems.

The easiest and most annoying fix is to open a new checking account  probably in a brick and mortar bank.

And all your names must match.
If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith ,

a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I don't want to make things more confusing but at least in my case:

My eBay account name DOES match exactly my ID (I had to change my ebay account name not long ago to exactly match the ID).

My eBay account name does NOT exactly match the name on my Bank account now (Bank account does NOT match exactly my ID).

(I don't know for sure what the Managed Payment account name is, I'd assumed it was the ebay account)

As far as I know in the earlier days this could not work, something must have changed as I am still receiving and sending $$ to the bank account ok. (Continuing to keep my fingers crossed), or there's some reason why a working one can be changed to not match and still work so it might prevent a new account from being set up this way.

I am using a brick and mortar bank.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@timberwolftrees82 wrote:

I am facing the same dilemma, time to get paid and EBay is saying Tangerine is not good enough. They suspended my selling activities now until I get a new bank. For the 11th consecutive year, Tangerine Bank has ranked #1 among Midsize Banks in the J.D. Power 2022 Canada Retail Banking Satisfaction Study. With over 2 million Clients and more than $40 billion in total assets, it’s one of Canada’s leading digital banks. E bay needs to pull up their socks and make some changes. Very poor service for being an e commerce big boy.

I think I've posted something similar to this elsewhere, so apologies if this is a repeat for those with excellent memories, but I'm more inclined to think that the issue is that Tangerine is trying to minimize its risk when it comes to deposits associated with business transactions.  About a year and a half, this story went public, and I suspect they've been in damage control mode since:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tangerine-transfers-lost-money-1.6050316

Unfortunately, because much of this story is confidential, we don't have all the information we need to see what went wrong here and why and if it is indeed something that could happen with an eBay seller.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

aagr840
Community Member

Ebay is a joke.  I have been on with them multiple times as I have sold something on ebay and they won't give me my money.  I deal with the Bank of Montreal.  The bank has told me that Ebay payments uses an ACH for epayments & the Canadian banks do not interface with it.  Ebay says there's only 1 way which they will pay sellers & that it's the banks fault if they don't accept the funds.  If Ebay cannot pay me, they say the money will be returned to the buyer.  Can you believe that!?  Then the buyer not only has my product but his money back too!  I smell a class action coming.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@aagr840 

Hundreds of thousands of eBay sellers are successfully receiving payments into their Canadian bank accounts.

There have been issues with some new sign ups, specifically Tangerine for the past year or so. Should be no problem with other banks if the accounts meet the criteria; 

Name (exact match with eBay name)

Account type (Personal Chequing)

Currency type (US/CA Dollars)*

Correct routing and account number

* This choice can never be changed, if you plan to list on .ca then DO NOT choose US Dollar

Personally I use a Simplii account, no issues whatsoever, payouts in the account the same day, no fees of course.

Brokerage accounts connected to the major banks will not work.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Are you by chance registered on dotCOM and not dotCA? Some long term members who use the site only occasionally or who rarely sell have run into this problem.

Basically you must register on dotCA, have a Canadian bank, and have a chequing account.

If you try going through the dotCOM reps they will have difficulty understanding concepts like "Canada is not a part of the USA".

The phone support in the Philippines are better, since at least they are likely to have a cousin working as a nurse in Winnipeg.

But there are several differences between the US and Canadian banking systems.

The ACH is only one of them.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

limo4u
Community Member
I just opened up a Tangerine account expressly to use with eBay. Now I have the same problem as you. It says I can't switch to my new account. I'm personally getting more and more fed up with eBay. They are getting more and more expensive to sell on, and more and more difficult to get paid. I'm looking for other selling options for my products. Amazon, Etsy are couple of good options.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Dozens of Canadian bank.....seems like Tangerine is the only one that has this problem.

FYI - People who signed up using Tangerine had no problem until about a year ago, since then anyone trying to sign up with Tangerine will fail.

Take 5 minutes and open an account with Simplii and your problem is solved.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I set up my Tangerine account with Managed Payment a few months after it was introduced, and it's still working just fine as of last month.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Dozens of Canadian bank.....seems like Tangerine is the only one that has this problem.

FYI - People who signed up using Tangerine had no problem until about a year ago, since then anyone trying to sign up with Tangerine will fail.

Take 5 minutes and open an account with Simplii and your problem is solved.

@recped 

Ironically there is a new tv commercial recently out describing no jumping through hoops with Tangerine. Awesome timing!!! 🤣 A follow up to their previous commercials tied in with Raptors/hoops connection. Too bad eBay doesn't have an actual solution besides opening up an account with another bank!!! (Considering Tangerine is included as a banking option.)

Lotz

Message 20 of 20
latest reply