refund shipping cost because he change his mind?

hi,

so i sold an item and buyer with 0 feedback return item because he change his mind, shipping was free but in listing i state i charge 20% fees on return, to covert my shipping fees and maybe stop compulsive return.

i got item back but the only option i see in ebay is full refund, in paypal its state payment on hold for dispute.

how i can charge 20% return fees?

its canada to canada if it change anything

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What does the reason on the return show??

I ask because in trying to recoup your 20% you run the risk of the buyer pursuing as an item not as described, (if they haven't already), for which they'll get a full refund anyway.

Depending on what it was that sold, if you're only looking at recouping a few dollars for the 20%, personally I would just eat it (ie just fully refund), and block the buyer (my motto is burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me).

That way you end up with ok feedback and avoid the time to try to "save" a few dollars....and blocking them makes it less likely they'll buy something from you again....

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

yes i undersatnd what you mean, reason for return was change his mind, and i sell iphones so its high risk for scam and even renting, after 29 days they want to return because they dont want it anymore, so now i charge 20% to try to stop them.

but i also know that its not fool proof...

for this reason i remove the free shipping on my listing. but from what i see on the ebay return i will need to refund shipping too so.. theres no option to partial refund.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes iphones are a very tough thing to sell.... I'm lucky I sell postage stamps, although even stamps has it's problem areas..... let us know what happens in the end...
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I'm sorry, I think your re-stocking charge may be unenforceable.

Free Shipping has it's good points- it's a great sales technique if your items have a known shipping cost - but the downside is that you cannot split out the shipping cost from the selling price if the transaction goes poorly.

You might be able to refund 80% of the original cost by refunding directly through Paypal and then showing the PP transaction number in the Dispute.

But just making the suggestion makes me nervous.

Other opinions are solicited.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Since you do have a restocking fee in your return policy I'm sure that you were supposed to be given the option to use it when the return was for buyer's remorse. If you had charged for shipping then buyer's remorse returns do give you a choice of 2 amounts to refund...one with original shipping cost and one without. As you know, if there is free shipping, the only option is to refund in full or to do a partial refund through Paypal and lose your fvf on the return. But as pointed out by another poster, I'm not sure how that would work when a return has been opened.

I'm not that comfortable with using a restocking fee but for many of my items I did go from free shipping to charging shipping just so that I didn't have to eat the original shipping amount when there was a return.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

do a partial refund through Paypal and lose your fvf

Another thought, and again I am spitballing here, how about a partial refund minus both shipping cost and FVF?  I mean, it's already partial.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply