the problem with being Canadian on Ebay.com (Shipping)

You can't do cacluated shipping offering obviously, because the shipping options on dot.com require a U.S. address.  Prior to the most recent change, I would list an American shipping price, a Canadian shipping price and the rest of the world was shown on the listing to contact seller for shipping costs.  Plus, you could exclude specific countries or regions.

Now, there is no mention in the listing for foreign buyers to "contact seller for shipping costs."  What IS offered is a choice:  Ship  to just Canada or the whole world.  The PROBLEM is, you must specify ONLY one price if you permit the entire world to order.  This means either undercharging foreign buyers (not feasible economically) and keying the price for Canada shipping, or estimating the average cost world wide, using that, and grossly overcharging Canadians, Western Europeans, etc.  Shipping to say Australia is many TIMES the cost of England so none of this works. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: the problem with being Canadian on Ebay.com (Shipping)

On .com you can have one price for Canada and one for the rest of the world. You could also have one price for Europe and another price for Australia and Asia or however you want to break it up.  You are limited by the ship to countries that they have on the list but it can be done.  

Here are a couple of listings where I've specified different things in the international section.  When I looked at them just now I realized that I should change the standard int'l shipping to Canada to expedited int'l shipping as the delivery time would make more sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354926877020 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354631538190

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@shallow_karl wrote:

You can't do cacluated shipping offering obviously, because the shipping options on dot.com require a U.S. address.  Prior to the most recent change, I would list an American shipping price, a Canadian shipping price and the rest of the world was shown on the listing to contact seller for shipping costs.  Plus, you could exclude specific countries or regions.

Now, there is no mention in the listing for foreign buyers to "contact seller for shipping costs."  What IS offered is a choice:  Ship  to just Canada or the whole world.  The PROBLEM is, you must specify ONLY one price if you permit the entire world to order.  This means either undercharging foreign buyers (not feasible economically) and keying the price for Canada shipping, or estimating the average cost world wide, using that, and grossly overcharging Canadians, Western Europeans, etc.  Shipping to say Australia is many TIMES the cost of England so none of this works. 

@shallow_karl 

It's comparable to the issue when you are on ca and choose USA tracked...then you have to make sure (confirm) the US rate is attached. That should have happened counterintuitively. But due to poor programing that never happened. Similar to choosing an international shipping option and choosing international countries. Wouldn't make sense to "cross contaminate" using US shipping services to international countries.  The rate would substantially different. The joys of poorly thought out default options. 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Under International Shipping->

Choose Flat Rate->

Choose Additional Services->

Choose Destination-> eg Europe

Want a different rate for Europe and Australia?

Choose Additional Services-> (again)

Choose Destination->Australia

You can have several Destinations with different rates.

Any destination you do not actually Block (Excluded Destinations lower down) will be able to see your listing.

To check this, open a new tab and choose a  country  eg ebaydotde (Germany). Now sign in as a guest. If you need an address google the city hall in Munich and use that one.
Now you can look for your item.

If you don't have a specific shipping price for Germany /All of Europe you should see the Contact Seller notice in red. (also in German, so you could use the Irish or the Australian sites instead).

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I exclusively sell on .com only and have for many many years. The shipping options are very confusing for a Canadian seller on there. I started stating my flat rates on my item description so its clear to the buyer. I also only ship to Canada, USA, Australia and Europe. I have found over the years that most of the other countries are much more risky to send to. I got burned on lost packages to Asian countries and Mexico so I have excluded sending there. Perhaps I am losing sales, but its not worth the headache imo.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Calculating rates for other countries manually and adding them is too time-consuming.  Plus, while you can ballpark a rate for U.S./Canada based on estimated size/weight of a box (how will you know what that will be unless you pack the item beforehand?)  and lacking specifics and with the vastly different costs to different countries, you'd be spending 30 minutes on each listing.  And error of 1lb on a big box may not matter to U.S. and Canada shipments, but it can mean a LOT of difference when shippinig 10,000 miles.  No thanks.   I just want it the old way with the admonition to overseas buyers to contact me to get the shipping cost before buying. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Selling exclusively on US Ebay since 25 years. Always used the flat rate shipping at 10 USD. It covers almost everything: UK - 13 CAD, Australia - 15 CAD, Eastern Europe - 14 CAD, Canada - 12 CAD (with ChitChats/Intelcom).  I never bothered about paying 1 dollar more or less for the shipping label. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@transtraders wrote:

I exclusively sell on .com only and have for many many years. The shipping options are very confusing for a Canadian seller on there. I started stating my flat rates on my item description so its clear to the buyer. I also only ship to Canada, USA, Australia and Europe. I have found over the years that most of the other countries are much more risky to send to. I got burned on lost packages to Asian countries and Mexico so I have excluded sending there. Perhaps I am losing sales, but its not worth the headache imo.

@transtraders 

For anyone interested here is a sample screenshot of prices and services available to US sellers using eBay labels. (Basic 1 lb package from anywhere USA to anywhere Canada).  Important to take into consideration US buyers have multiple ways of purchasing postage beyond eBay labels like Stamps dot com, Sendle, ClickNShip etc. The discounts available with eBay labels and USPS are in the 4,5,6 % range. 36% Air/16 % Ground with Fedex. For some reason UPS does not include/show the discounts. US sellers do have the option to show whereas for Canada that is still a work in progress with no timeline. 

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1696799506960.png

-Lotz

Message 8 of 8
latest reply