what to do with a negative feedback I feel I don't deserve ?

Maybe some of you will recall my post on a sale gone wrong with a particularly difficult buyer.  I'm relieved he finally kept the item after threatening me that he would return it if it didn't arrive on time.  It arrived 3 days late so I refunded all his shipping fees like I promised if it didn't make it by the 24th of December.  The tone of my messages to him stayed calm and polite throughout our "short" discussions. I packed this item with utmost care as it is a fragile camera lens. 

All this to say that the buyer left me a stinking negative like I expected (his messages hinted that he was very upset for not using Purolator with his account number like he told me to do and because of the fact that the item arrived late).  What really gets my gander up is that I can't even reply to his feedback.  I don't want to contact him personally as it is futile (he will only listen to his own mind). I'd like to warn other sellers that this person is impossible to please or reason with to prevent them from going through the same antics or worse.  Can I report the buyer to ebay for leaving me a negative ? Can I fight to have it removed from my record without contacting the buyer ? Should I just capitulate and be done with it ? Thanks.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I’m sorry to hear of your difficulties. Are your listings for digital images (digital information) compliant with the eBay policy? https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/selling-digital-items.html

You may not be eligible for feedback removal if your listings are in violation of it.
Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@redqube wrote:

Since this thread is about negative feedback received that is not warranted, I will post my situation here instead of starting a new thread.

tyler@ebay  please take a look at this. I would greatly appreciate it.

I've been selling digital photos for some time now on ebay (and other things as well). I wanted to experiment with this before going stock. Recently I received a negative feedback from a person who bought the picture several weeks ago.

I checked my email and the photo was sent the day the buyer paid for it. The buyer sends me a message a few weeks later stating that he never received the image. I checked my email and I can confirm that the picture was sent successfully. I contacted him telling him so. I asked the buyer to check his email address inbox carefully and tell me if he could find it. I would have sent him another copy if he did not.

He never answered my question and because he felt my listing was misleading possibly because he expected me to ship something to his home address (although he never clearly specified this), he gave me an unwarranted negative feedback. All my photo listings are concise and clear as to what the buyer is getting. I mention that there is no physical shipping in my listings, only a digital copy sent to their email address. I mentioned this to the buyer with no response. I would have liked to work out something with this unhappy buyer either by sending him another photo for free or by simply refunding him but he did not even give me the chance. I aim to please but this is just an abusive feedback by an unhappy buyer unwilling to communicate. I'm asking to have this feedback removed. The "fake information" he claims can't be substantiated. At worst it's a blatant lie. You can also check my listings and the messages we exchanged. It will prove what I am stating here. Thank you.

Hi @redqube - negative feedback is frustrating, particularly when your customer seems to have misunderstood something. 

Your feedback percentage does not impact your eBay account standing and is not something we would consider when evaluating your account performance or any account requests (like larger limits). 

When it comes to this particular feedback, I don't see anything on its face that qualifies this for removal. To @momcqueen's point, a digitally delivered good would need to be listed in the proper category in order to avoid any violations. Could you work the cost of printing this out and mailing it into your pricing? If you could, then you may be able to stay in the Fine Art category and the exposure that comes with it. 

You're always welcome to contact Customer Support for a review of the transaction itself to see if anything about it qualifies for removal. They're available by phone or social media (Twitter or Facebook). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 43
latest reply

I am also curious about a negative feedback I just received this week, my first, I believe, since doing business on eBay. The Buyer left a negative feedback claiming he did not receive the item posted in the auction. I never received any indication anything was wrong until I saw his negative fb. My first response was to contact him and ask in detail what was wrong with the item. His reply was confusing to say the least.

Buyer claimed he received a cheap photocopy that had been copied 3 times and we fraudulently represented the item. I assured him all our items are original period pieces from the year indicated and we never deal in copies. Buyer also mentioned he wanted a brochure. It was at this point, I suspect,  he thought he was purchasing a brochure and did not realize he was purchasing a magazine advertisement, since English is not his first language. Magazine ads range from $5 to $15 and brochures usually start around $20. I refunded his entire purchase price plus shipping since I offer 100% satisfaction guarantee. 

tyler@ebay - when you say it is frustrating to garner a negative feedback because a buyer didn't understand the auction, I would argue it is more than frustrating. I have worked for 18 years to maintain 100% positive and in this situation a buyer who does not take the time to understand what they have ordered can falsely ruin a reputation when the real motivation is to demand a refund. 

My discontented buyer has accused us of false representation and selling counterfeits to demand a refund - which is ridiculous since I have over 1800 positive feedbacks attesting to the opposite. In this business domain, no one wants to purchase a copy, the original yellowed paper is what the buyer is looking for and any hint of counterfeits would surely disable a business. As I explained to my unhappy Buyer, I gladly refund buyers for any reason whatsoever, there was no need to leave fb.  Ironically, I had to contact him to settle the dispute.

Since there is no risk to the buyer on any of our auctions, I am essentially paying for them to inspect my items free of charge. That they can slander our reputations due to their inability to properly understand what they are purchasing seems more than frustrating: it is proof of a biased based market place favouring the buyer.  

Am I  justified to argue for a removal of this fb or am just not seeing the buyer's perspective? Since all I have ever received are positive fb's for 18 years, I am unsure of my options. At the very least, I plan to reply to the negative fb stating Buyer was reimbursed 100% no questions asked. But obviously, I feel the fb was unwarranted. All opinions are welcome.

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

When it comes to this particular feedback, I don't see anything on its face that qualifies this for removal. To @momcqueen's point, a digitally delivered good would need to be listed in the proper category in order to avoid any violations. Could you work the cost of printing this out and mailing it into your pricing? If you could, then you may be able to stay in the Fine Art category and the exposure that comes with it. 

Tyler, I know this is a bit of a tangent from the topic of this thread, but this brings up (yet again) something that has concerned me for years and has seriously affected my ability to grow my business on eBay. 

I would love to be able to sell digital goods on eBay, but I've been a compliant, policy-abiding seller and long ago removed my digital listings (when eBay brought in their policy changes in this regard many years ago).  I can't tell you how upsetting it is to see sellers openly listing digitally-delivered goods, sometimes for years, and not in the "Classifieds" format in the "Everything Else" category.  There are many of them still doing this, I come across them frequently in my categories.  

My point is that if eBay is going to have this policy, it should be monitoring sellers far more diligently.  For those of us who have complied with eBay's policies, the lack of proper monitoring creates essentially a serious competitive disadvantage.  I have an entire catalogue of items I'd love to be able to sell this way, but I follow policy and give up that opportunity, while others continue to make money with digital goods.  

It seems that reporting these violations does little good either.  On the rare occasion where I've actually reported a seller, I return to see the digital item is still being listed weeks or months later (along with other such stock). 

If I understand it correctly, the "Classifieds" format seems to be set up to handle Real Estate sales, with a $35.00 insertion fee, for up to a maximum 10-day listing, payable monthly, is that correct?  If so, no wonder no one seems to use it for digital items.  I don't see anything on this page (which is the information page for Classified eBay ads) that specifically directs how to list digital goods: https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/realestatefees.html

I really would like to see eBay either start to properly enforce its own policies in this regard, or else allow digitally-delivered items to be sold in a reasonable fashion, i.e. by controlling delivery through uploads of the digital items to the site's servers by sellers.  In short, not leave it to each seller to email the digital goods to buyers, which can be the source of much trouble.   EBay is actually missing out on a plethora of sales that -- trust me -- have gone elsewhere.   

Sorry to go on about this, but this subject has been a real sore spot in my more than 10 years of selling on eBay.  

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

Hi @rose-dee - the classified ad format runs for 30 days, has no Final Value Fee charged and costs US$9.95 to list for sale. 

To be clear, the items would need to be listed in the Everything Else>Information Products>Other Information Products (or applicable subcategory) on eBay.com

When it comes to listings you find that are in violation of these guidelines I can only suggest that you report them for review. While I cannot advise you to list similarly, as that could result in a policy violation for your account if reviewed, I can definitely see how upsetting it would be to see them listed. 

I imagine many of your Digital products are patterns of your own design. Have you considered listing them and then printing them out as you receive orders? While this could mean more labour and materials required to fulfill such an order, I imagine there are plenty of folks willing to pay for your expertise.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 43
latest reply

This thread has changed topics from negative feedback to the sale of digital products.

A new thread would be more useful.

Perhaps this one should be locked?

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@retrocorp.inc wrote:

I am also curious about a negative feedback I just received this week, my first, I believe, since doing business on eBay. The Buyer left a negative feedback claiming he did not receive the item posted in the auction. I never received any indication anything was wrong until I saw his negative fb. My first response was to contact him and ask in detail what was wrong with the item. His reply was confusing to say the least.

Buyer claimed he received a cheap photocopy that had been copied 3 times and we fraudulently represented the item. I assured him all our items are original period pieces from the year indicated and we never deal in copies. Buyer also mentioned he wanted a brochure. It was at this point, I suspect,  he thought he was purchasing a brochure and did not realize he was purchasing a magazine advertisement, since English is not his first language. Magazine ads range from $5 to $15 and brochures usually start around $20. I refunded his entire purchase price plus shipping since I offer 100% satisfaction guarantee. 

tyler@ebay - when you say it is frustrating to garner a negative feedback because a buyer didn't understand the auction, I would argue it is more than frustrating. I have worked for 18 years to maintain 100% positive and in this situation a buyer who does not take the time to understand what they have ordered can falsely ruin a reputation when the real motivation is to demand a refund. 

My discontented buyer has accused us of false representation and selling counterfeits to demand a refund - which is ridiculous since I have over 1800 positive feedbacks attesting to the opposite. In this business domain, no one wants to purchase a copy, the original yellowed paper is what the buyer is looking for and any hint of counterfeits would surely disable a business. As I explained to my unhappy Buyer, I gladly refund buyers for any reason whatsoever, there was no need to leave fb.  Ironically, I had to contact him to settle the dispute.

Since there is no risk to the buyer on any of our auctions, I am essentially paying for them to inspect my items free of charge. That they can slander our reputations due to their inability to properly understand what they are purchasing seems more than frustrating: it is proof of a biased based market place favouring the buyer.  

Am I  justified to argue for a removal of this fb or am just not seeing the buyer's perspective? Since all I have ever received are positive fb's for 18 years, I am unsure of my options. At the very least, I plan to reply to the negative fb stating Buyer was reimbursed 100% no questions asked. But obviously, I feel the fb was unwarranted. All opinions are welcome.

Hi @retrocorp.inc - you're always welcome to have Customer Support review the transaction for any violations of Feedback policies that could qualify it for removal. On its face, it doesn't appear to be one that would, however I haven't reviewed the transaction in depth. 

I don't disagree that your feedback rating is both impressive, and something other members generally use to gauge both your credibility and your reliability as a seller. From an eBay perspective, we do not consider it in either of those cases for a few reasons (the largest being that feedback is a small representation of your actual work, and an even smaller sample of your customers). 

I do think that maintaining 100% positive feedback as a seller is incredible! I also think that it's statistically unsustainable and getting a negative is inevitable. Sometimes you aren't able to satisfy a customer, no matter the lengths that you go to. In those situations, a professional reply to the feedback goes a long way to letting future customers know more about the situation in general, as well as what to expect from you in an unideal situation. Personally, I won't buy from a seller without a neutral or negative - specifically because I want to see what to expect in communication with them should something go awry with my order.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 43
latest reply

I’m sorry but I dont understand why a topic which is less than a month old should be closed. Topics often change and go back and forth within a thread.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

The problem with negative feedback is it is cumulative. It takes 1 year to go away. It may or may not have been warranted. If it wasn't warranted there shouldn't be hoops one has to jump through to get IT removed. If it was warranted there should be some sort of concrete proof it was warranted and deserved. It has been known to happen where a buyer leaving feedback left negative or neutral in error without realizing. Or even situations with positive words and negative feedback. These situations should get flagged for automatic removal. But as far as I know, they don't. Yes, the seller can ask to have it removed but it is still a time consuming frustrating call to make. Or you can respond to it, it still is cumulative and can cause any random buyer to make an inaccurate assessment of a seller. Just my 2 cents on the issue. And we don't want to get going on the fact that sellers can no longer give a buyer negative feedback even when it is entirely deserved. That is a whole other can of worms!!

-Lotz

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

You can leave a calm, professional reply to the feedback so that if a future buyer is looking at your feedback, they will understand what happened.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply

I don't reply to negative feedbacks but I do read them from potential sellers I want to buy from and you can quickly tell nut jobs from legit issues quickly.
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

As abhorrent as I find negative feedback as a seller, the cause and effect of it is absolutely illuminating. It’s fairly easy to acertain when it’s deserved versus not. It’s also all-too-easy to spot another member gone off the rails by the feedback left or to which replied. Some replies unquestionably do more damage than the feedback itself.

That being said, as a seller who bends over backwards to keep customers happy, the ease (and utter lack of consequence) with which negative feedback can be left is chilling.
Message 32 of 43
latest reply

Thank you for the incredibly quick response Tyler! I am impressed with your answer however, once again, I feel eBay coming down on the side of the Buyer, despite a seller's history and in a certain way, I see why eBay has to do that.

My beef is that one dissatisfied Buyer's one false accusation is enough to destroy 1877 satisfied Buyers and 18 years hard work. Since I am close to attaining Power Seller status once again, I worry that another false negative will bring my rating below 98% and disqualify my account.

You are certainly correct that maintaining 100% is statistically impossible. I guess I'm just really bummed out that my first negative was concocted by an untruth to obtain a refund, which I offer anyway, no questions asked. But thank you for your time and your opinion. I sincerely appreciate your input. 

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

Sadly or unfortunately we have become a society of folks that live and breathe vicariously through our leaving likes and dislikes, thumbs up or downs and those very mean yelp reviews. Partially compliments of the infamous MZ. No not the rapper. The other MZ. Compare it to the people that leave thumbs down for a video of a little girl giving $5.00 dollars to a down and out homeless person. You know you've seen them. Sorry, that's just wrong!! Like who tinkled in their cornflakes?

Another video from the fine folks at CBC's Marketplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbyfhGHX0Vg

-Lotz

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

@retrocorp.inc wrote:

Thank you for the incredibly quick response Tyler! I am impressed with your answer however, once again, I feel eBay coming down on the side of the Buyer, despite a seller's history and in a certain way, I see why eBay has to do that.

My beef is that one dissatisfied Buyer's one false accusation is enough to destroy 1877 satisfied Buyers and 18 years hard work. Since I am close to attaining Power Seller status once again, I worry that another false negative will bring my rating below 98% and disqualify my account.

Imo, the only time one negative is going to affect a buyer's perception is if you reply to it in a negative way. 

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @rose-dee - the classified ad format runs for 30 days, has no Final Value Fee charged and costs US$9.95 to list for sale. 

To be clear, the items would need to be listed in the Everything Else>Information Products>Other Information Products (or applicable subcategory) on eBay.com. 

When it comes to listings you find that are in violation of these guidelines I can only suggest that you report them for review. While I cannot advise you to list similarly, as that could result in a policy violation for your account if reviewed, I can definitely see how upsetting it would be to see them listed. 

I imagine many of your Digital products are patterns of your own design. Have you considered listing them and then printing them out as you receive orders? While this could mean more labour and materials required to fulfill such an order, I imagine there are plenty of folks willing to pay for your expertise.

Thanks so much Tyler, I appreciate your reply.  Yes, these are my own designs, but unfortunately the nearest print shop that can print them for me is a 1-1/2 hour drive away, so I can really only get them printed in batches every once in a while.  Buying a wide format printer (about $2,000) wouldn't be feasible for the occasional sale.  I've actually had to begin phasing out pre-printed patterns because of ridiculously high shipping costs.  It's really too bad eBay won't allow digital delivery.  

I'll say no more, as I don't want to stay "off track" in this discussion.  My apologies to all! 

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

What concerns me as a seller is that the buyer with only 2 (one of those is mine) as a feedback rating can give any seller a negative feedback on a whim. A negative feedback that is not deserved since the words he uses to explain it are lies. He misunderstood my listing, got mad at himself for spending 99 cents and then decides to retaliate to make him feel better ? Am I the only one to think this is strange ? As I stated, if the buyer would have continued his communication with me, I would have gladly refunded him the dollar he spent. I'm always willing to work out something with someone who is willing to.

I'll probably end up removing the lot. Experiences like this are just not worth the aggravation. And no, prints are not an option at this time. Sending a large print overseas with mandatory tracking would not make it attractive for a buyer cost wise.
Message 37 of 43
latest reply

Thank you for your response Tyler and everyone involved !

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

I think eliminating ‘free shipping’ from your listing titles would also eliminate these misunderstandings. Since a digital image cannot be shipped, saying ‘free delivery by email’ may be clearer.

Also, the less people pay for something, the less they value it and its seller.

I’d be willing to bet that half of all negative feedback is left for items under $3. Rock-bottom prices appeal disproportionately to bottom-feeders who simply won’t care they’re trashing your reputation.
Message 39 of 43
latest reply

True, free delivery by email would be more fitting in the title line. I make it very clear in my listing that it is a digital picture sent through the recipient's email though. I wonder if the buyer even read the listing itself.

Message 40 of 43
latest reply