All good things come to an end

Just got an email from Shopsurance, officially notifying me that I'm "excluded from shipping insurance coverage issued by Shipsurance or a Shipsurance Insurance Services partner".

eBay said they have no power over them, so you're on your own.

Shippo most likely will give me the same type of answer.

So, does anyone know, if someone else provides similar type of service?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Wehave used Hugh Wood Insurance of Toronto, London and New York, who specialize in collectibles both at the collector and the dealer levels.

Because they specialize they understand collecting, and are not fazed by rapid changes in the value of your stock.

And they understand about consignments.
They also cover shows and travel to shows.

And of course shipping.

Bad news is that they work with annual contracts not one-offs. If you have a shop or do a lot of shows or if your own collection is substantial, you may find them easier to deal with than your current commercial insurer and their fees are very good.

They do not do one-off package insurance.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I've checked them. Their model is not for me.
I'm thinking about U-PIC. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

U-PIC got a fair bit of mention on the .com site’s International Trading discussion board back in the day as being an alternative to Shipsurance. Seemed to be an either/or choice at the time.

Having said that, I started looking through the terms and conditions page, and I suspect that you’re going to run into the same problems you developed with Shipsurance, if not at the time of signing up, then not too far down the road.

https://u-pic.com/coverage-rules
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Well, may by the time they will kick me out, eBay will finally roll out their own shipping solution, unless they will use Shipsurance or U-Pick as third party insurance providers. 🙂
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

why can't you use canada post insurance.???

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My most recent experience with Canada Post insurance gave me pause to think the people in Customer Service are paid contingent upon them denying insurance claims.  I had a shipment to the US that was damaged in transit.  The buyer sent me photos of the damage and I refunded his money thinking stupidly the Canada Post insurance I had purchased would cover the loss.   I dutifully filled out the Canada Post online claim with all the applicable information.  I subsequently received a form message indicating Canada Post was unable to contact the buyer to confirm the damage so therefore the claim was denied.    I contacted the person who sent the form letter and got voice mail (of course) and left a detailed message indicating I had just contacted the buyer who stated he would be happy to confirm the damage if Canada Post contacted  him.  I also detailed the fact I had photos available of the damage if required.   After a period of time I received another form letter again indicating Canada Post was unable to contact the buyer and again closed the file.  I again was able to contact the buyer who indicated he had in fact responded to the Canada Post request.  So I dutifully contacted Canada Post once again and spoke to someone who looked up the file.  I was advised they had tried twice to contact the buyer to confirm the damage, without success.   The person who I spoke to indicated they only try twice and if they are unsuccessful the file is closed PERMANENTLY.   I told the person I had successfully contacted the person twice so why was it Canada Post was not able to do the same.  Believe it or not the person I spoke to said he would reopen the file but it would do no good.  True to his word about 7 weeks later I received another form letter which was in the fact the same form letter I had received in the first instance.  While speaking to the Customer Service person I found out their process is to send an email from an address which is not monitored.  The email specifies the person is to respond Customer Service.  If the person misreads the email or simply replies to the email the message goes into the twilight zone.  Most buyers will try to help out in these instances but you can only ask them so many times to help before they tire of it.  Canada Post I am sure is counting on this by making the process very cumbersome and finally having the participants throw up their hands in frustration.  Typical David and Goliath situation.  Canada Post has the ability to outlast you with endless form letters and emails to non monitored addresses.  The person I spoke to appeared to have heard it all before as it felt like whatever I said to him was like water off a ducks back.  Regardless, I am out 200 dollars because I had to refund the buyer for a damaged item.  I paid Canada Post an exorbitant amount of money to ship the item and on top of that I paid for insurance in the event of loss or damage.  Canada Post failed miserably on both counts.  I paid for a service for which they did not deliver and I also paid for protection in the event they were unable to deliver the service.  What a great business.   Have people pay for your service that you fail to provide and have people pay for the insurance as well and deny the claims.  Way to go Canada Post.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Re: Canada Post insurance vs Shipsurance

For expedited parcels:

CP: 2.25% of declared value, steps are incremental by $100

Shipsurance: 1% of declared value, prorated.

For non-expedited parcels:

CP: no insurance

Shipsurance: 1% of declared value, prorated.

Shipsurance is clearly the winner, except the scenario for expedited service with declared value for $100 or less, but then you just use CP.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply