New Shippo rates?

So I get this email from Ebay that states:

"Canada Post Shipping Rate Changes

As of July 1st, 2018, the shipping rates you access through Shippo for Canada Post shipping services will change to reflect Canada Post’s standard rates.

You don’t need to take any action as a result of this change, and the new rates will be calculated automatically when you use Shippo to print a label on or after July 1st."

Clear like mud. Doesn't say what the discounts, if any, will be or are they just charging standard Canada Post rates now?

Anybody know what is going on?

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

New Shippo rates?

It sounds to me as if we are losing any sort of eBay seller shipping discount!

@happy_pigeon   

tyler@ebay

Am I reading this right?  Are we going to paying standard small business rates?  If so, why? The discount we have received for eBay sales has gotten smaller in the last year but if  that is gone entirely, that really is a problem. 

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Yes, I got the message as well. So this increases my shipping by about $1/ pkg to the USA using the basic air service and about $3 more if I used tracked packet. Shipping within Canada is ridiculous anyways and I use stamps when I can.  International shipping I have not checked. 

I would like to think there would be a discount. We will see.

p.s. increases in shipping rates are making it harder and harder for me to compete with my business account. Especially with US sellers and Chinese sellers. 

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

If the rates are changing, a heads up and some sort of explanation would have been nice before the email came out.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Yes - a nice clarification would be good. Otherwise why would we bother with Shippo since we would get the same discount via PayPal labels - actually maybe more as this does not specify if we still get our Canada Post Solutions For Small Business Tiered discount.

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

I contacted Shippo and received this response;

"The exclusive discounts available to eBay merchants for Canada Post shipments expire on June 30th. As we are limited by the rates eBay provides us, we must now pass on these standard rates as of July 1st."

Which means Ebay is the one who provided and is now removing discounts that they were providing.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Ebay giveth....Ebay taketh away!!!

Appears they only signed a 1 year arrangement. Normal circumstances, you would attempt to renegotiate and based on volume from eBay sellers using Shippo you would believe something could be worked out.

In my situation it would still be more advantageous to continue using Shippo after July 1, 2018 with my Level 2 discount with payments coming from my Paypal account for convenience. If I wanted to use Snap ship I am forced to pay by credit card. Paypal would only get me a base discount.

-CM

PS. Has anyone discovered a way of applying a Level 2,3, 4 Snap-ship discount to Paypal?

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

I inquired of Shippo and received the same reply.  I think you're right when you state eBay is the one who provided and is now removing the discount.

I got the impression also that Shippo seems to be wondering what's going on;  and is maybe the reason they did not advise their Customers of the news.

Like, they didn't want to believe it either leaving us with no obvious reason to us Shippo.   We'll see.    Why is information often clear as mud; because it's not Positive for eBay Sellers.

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

@judithsjewellery wrote:

So I get this email from Ebay that states:

"Canada Post Shipping Rate Changes

As of July 1st, 2018, the shipping rates you access through Shippo for Canada Post shipping services will change to reflect Canada Post’s standard rates.

You don’t need to take any action as a result of this change, and the new rates will be calculated automatically when you use Shippo to print a label on or after July 1st."

Clear like mud. Doesn't say what the discounts, if any, will be or are they just charging standard Canada Post rates now?

Anybody know what is going on?

Hello all,

Sorry for the vagueness of the content... it was not intended to mislead, but to treat the matter as delicately as possible because there were a number of parties involved in this decision, and we as eBay do not wish to speak for all of them.

The rates we are returning to July 1st are Canada Post's standard rates.

Please know that this is not due to a lack of discussion on eBay's part--for obvious reasons, we very much wanted to keep this for our sellers. However, it was not possible.

Apparently, Shippo is getting a lot of frustration directed at them regarding this change--please note that Shippo had absolutely no participation in this matter. This is NOT Shippo's fault--in this case, they are an uninvolved third party.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Canada Post discounted rates are contracted to Ebay, so either Ebay pulled them or Canada Post did as Shippo just passes through whatever commercial rate is associated with the master account. That is a significant claw back for Canadian sellers already hit with fee increases via TRS clawbacks to fund customer promos/acquisition. 

Tough being a messenger these days! 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

@hlmacdon wrote:

Canada Post discounted rates are contracted to Ebay, so either Ebay pulled them or Canada Post did as Shippo just passes through whatever commercial rate is associated with the master account. That is a significant claw back for Canadian sellers already hit with fee increases via TRS clawbacks to fund customer promos/acquisition. 

Tough being a messenger these days! 

Indeed, this certainly impacts our sellers and it is unfortunate timing. We would definitely have liked to have continued to offer these rates to our customers, but it was not possible. That's about the most I can say along those lines without getting myself into trouble dizzy_face

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Which to my mind makes the only advantages to Shippo as:

• shipping fees are (eventually ) charged to Paypal, which keeps all the bookkeeping in one placw.
  • the ability to buy USPS return shipping labels, which is not a frequent occurrence.

It will be interesting to see if we can buy shipping labels through Ayden and what kind of deals they will offer.

The one that interests me most is the Return Shipping Label. As a cynical old broad, I suspect that offering to send a Return Shipping Label for a full refund is a useful protection against sketchey buyers fishing for a post-purchase discount.  As non-US sellers, we are particularly vulnerable to this, and the culprits are almost always American. </rant>

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Well this is certainly not good news for Canadian sellers as our shipping is already high. However I do note that eBay will now make more money as they charge FVF on our shipping costs so if they increase our fees also increase. How about taking another look at that eBay!!

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Only those sellers who already were using Shippo will notice these changes and will be impacted by whatever degree of discount they were receiving. I never signed on with Shippo,   I continued to use PayPal shipping so my shipping rates will not be affected, nor will there be any change to the  FVFs on the few sales that I do get on eBay.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Quote It will be interesting to see if we can buy shipping labels through Ayden and what kind of deals they will offer. Unquote

I'm prepared to predict today that Ayden will offer USPS discounts on ebay.com at launch ... ebay.ca users will probably be left wanting once again.

I have to say, no way I saw this one coming... completely flabbergasted at this development. This user will never use Shippo again, may as well go back to using PayPal.

I wonder how many actually have received this email, nothing has appeared in my eBay messages or email inbox.
Message 15 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

And I just adjusted down my shipping rates after figuring out I was entering in a higher value for weight. Now I will be adjusting to a higher rate come July 1. Great!  Guess who is going to be paying these costs? ... not me!

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

@katlover1952 wrote:

Well this is certainly not good news for Canadian sellers as our shipping is already high. However I do note that eBay will now make more money as they charge FVF on our shipping costs so if they increase our fees also increase....

eBay charges a FVF  based on the shipping that YOU charge -- the FVF is NOT based on what shipping actually cost you.

Calculated shipping uses the Canada Post over-the-counter rate, so there will be no change.

-..-

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
... I have to say, no way I saw this one coming... completely flabbergasted at this development. ...

July 1/2017 was when the last eBay.ca agreement was in effect, so no surprise that after one year the renewal negotiations fell apart.

Still not clear if the "standard" rate Shippo will use is the over-the-counter rate or the usual Solutions for Small Business rate. For other carriers Shippo can use your discounted supplier account rates. Clear as mud.

Also not sure if this will have an impact on the Canada Post rates that PayPal supplies.

Right now (June 13):

PayPal has Solutions for Small Business rates on selected Canada Post services.

Shippo has Solutions for Small Business rates on all Canada Post packet/parcel services with additional eBay discounts on Expedited Parcel (Canada/USA) and Tracked Packet USA.

-..-

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

I am not a Shippo user, but I still got that email from eBay

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

New Shippo rates?

Here is a follow up email I just received from Shippo:

Unfortunately, I do not have any additional information as to whether or not those rates will be renegotiated - I'm sorry about that. The rate negotiations are done between eBay and Canada Post directly, we (Shippo) just passes on the rates that eBay provides to us.

-CM

Message 20 of 57
latest reply