Courier fees

jalex23
Community Member

So this is what happened:

- Day 1: The seller sent the item via UPS

- Day 4: UPS called me and said that they couldn't deliver the package as they need a signature and there was no one home. I clarified to UPS that they needed to deliver it after 5pm so there could be someone home.

- Day 5: UPS called me and offered to keep the package at a UPS store so I could pick up.

- Day 7: UPS store called saying that the package was ready and a 5 dollar fee was needed. I told them that was not agreed and refused to pay it.

- Day 8: I called back UPS explained the situation and then asked them to deliver it to my house.

- Day 14: No notice from UPS whatsoever.

- Day 15: Contacted the seller to request their assistance. They said that they couldn't do more as the shipment was marked as DELIVERED. I told them what happened and they said that I should follow up with UPS.

Now the question is: if I don't get the product who is responsible for it? Can I file a claim for "not recieved product"? I truly wish that UPS can deliver, but I need to know what are my rights in this matter.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Courier fees

Quick questions to better understand the problem:

Was the parcel shipped from the USA or from Canada?  What specific service was used?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Eventually UPS would return the parcel to the sender-- and charge her for the return.

This is actually one of the advantages of the GPS (pause while readers gasp in shock) all your shipping and import charges have been paid BEFORE the seller even starts the parcel on its way.

The $5 fee is unusual. With UPS its usually $25 or more.

Do you have a friend or a relative who can go to the UPS office ? Are they open on weekends like the UPS Store here in Ottawa?

Most shippers don't want unclaimed items hanging around. They need the space and don't need the liability. I would not be surprised if the parcel was sent for return after the exchange of Day 7.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

"The $5 fee is unusual."

Unfortunately, we do not have the whole story.  Possibly, the parcel is domestic, not from the USA.  Possibly, since the buyer cannot receive during normal delivery hours, a decision was made to deliver to a franchised UPS store where pick up can be arranged during evening hours.  I suspect there is a fee (possibly $5) for the service.

We may be in better position to help and answer the original poster once some basic questions are answered.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

From Ontario to Alberta, so it was domestic.

Standard Shipping (UPS Standard Canada) was used.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Check with the local UPS store. 

I suspect the $5 is an extra service charge for pick-up since you cannot receive at home during regular delivery hours.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Yes, that is what UPS said... and I am not willing to pay it (neither I asked for the service, nor it was a result of a mistake of mine).

And therefore the question asked.

I already made the seller aware of this situation and they said they are not responsible as it is marked as DELIVERED (UPS delivered to a  UPS Store).

As far as I know the seller is responsible for making sure I get my product. I need some advice on this.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

'the seller is responsible for making sure I get my product."

That is basically correct.

However, the problem arises because you cannot accept home delivery during normal delivery hours.  That is not the fault of UPS nor the seller.  There is nobody at fault here. 

I do not know why you have expectations of UPS being able or willing to deliver at night when suitable to you.  That is not the service UPS normally provides, anymore than Canada Post would provide it.

Giving you the option to pick up the parcel at a franchised UPS store seems to me like a fair solution, even if there is a small fee for the convenience. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Another option might be for you to sign a form giving UPS permission to leave the package at your door if you aren't home.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

This is not about UPS, it is not about a small or big fee, it is not about my expectations, this is about what are my rights as per ebay buyer.

The question remains, can I file a "product not recieved" claim?

The seller says that they gave it to the courier and the courier says it was delivered. Me, the buyer, haven't recieved the product. If as you said, this is no ones fault then who is responsible?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Yeah or that the building concierge could sign for it. The problem is that there is no access to the building whatsoever. Fedex and DHL usually call us to see if we are at home and ask for us to come down and pick the parcel. UPS won't do this.

The other option is an alternate address, which I don't have. Neither friends nor work address available (same issue with schedule and work won't have any items mailed to them).

This is not my first experience with UPS, I know them plenty. I know what they can or can't do, and what to expect from them.

That's the whole point of the thread, to know what are the sellers responsibilities. I know that UPS won't take responsibility whatsoever.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

When you dealt with UPS in the past, what happened? If this was for the playstation controller the listing shows that delivery would be with UPS. If you agreed to that but knew that you wouldn't be home to receive the delivery, how did you plan on getting the item?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

"can I file a "product not received" claim?"

Yes you can

What will eBay/PayPal decide?  I do not know but I suspect they will find in favour of the seller in this specific instance.

The seller did everything right and it would be wrong to penalize him.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

UPS has several solutions to this.

- Once they tried to charge me on an Amazon package, Amazon absorbed the fee.

- Another time Staples made them call me before the delivery.

- Another time the driver was kind enough to leave a "your package will be available at" note.

- Other couple of times UPS agreed to deliver past 5pm.

- Usually they deliver it to a UPS store so I can pick it up, no charge at all.

Yes the listing showed UPS and I was expecting something similar to past scenarios. In fact that is the reason I accepted, I was expecting them to call and tell me that it would be available at the UPS store.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I get it.

In fact I think the same of me, I did everything right, even tried to help UPS to deliver the parcel. But paying extra fees seem way unfair to me.

But maybe you are right, somehow the buyer is unprotected.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

You can.

It will fail.

The package was delivered and is available for pickup.

The only barrier is your refusal to pay a fee for the pickup.

The seller is not responsible.

EBay is not responsible.

UPS has tried to accomodate you, for a fee.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

They shouldn't be charging for someone to pick something up, they should of left a slip notice so he can bring it to them and pick it up himself.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

"They shouldn't be charging for someone to pick something up,"

Generally, UPS does not charge anyone to pick up a parcel at their depot.

However, if the recipient cannot come to the depot before they close and request delivery to a franchised UPS Store (NOT owned by UPS) for the convenience of a weekend or evening pick up, then the franchised store owner is entitled to a convenience fee.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Well, I do know that UPS, or indeed any other courier would not deliver at a specific time, e.g. your time of 5:00 p.m.  One site I order from always sends via UPS.  I live in an apartment building and if I'm not home they leave a slip asking me to pick up at the UPS store.  No biggy for me, it's within walking distance BUT I've never had to pay a $5.00 fee - nothing at all.  But at this point (I think they give you 7 days - number is on slip) they've probably shipped it back to sender.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@jalex23 wrote:

This is not about UPS, it is not about a small or big fee, it is not about my expectations, this is about what are my rights as per ebay buyer.

The seller says that they gave it to the courier and the courier says it was delivered. Me, the buyer, haven't recieved the product. If as you said, this is no ones fault then who is responsible?

Do you expect Canada Post to deliver your mail  at 7:00 PM ?

You have expectations far beyond normal  and far beyond what common sense would dictate.

You may file an item not received but you will loose because you refused delivery

Message 20 of 20
latest reply