Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

Just received an email from eBay-Canada:

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

What this message tells you is to keep listing, keep selling so eBay keeps on collecting fees..  What this message does not tell you is that if an unhappy buyer leaves negative feedback because of delay caused by the postal strike eBay will NOT remove it.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

The eBay postal strike announcement is back up. There are three and they all say the same general thing EXCEPT that the most recent announced post is missing the paragraph about removing defects. Which doesn't bode well for anyone with issues about trusting eBay to keep its word. Surely, they must see that.
Message 81 of 114
latest reply

WOW, yet they encourage to not close down! 

Message 82 of 114
latest reply

Buyers are not patient!

If it goes past the Ebay time frame, and it does arrive with defects, if they file through Paypal, buyers will have to pay for return shipping.

Been there and had to do that and was not happy

Message 83 of 114
latest reply

Did you have 50,000?

Message 84 of 114
latest reply

http://www.cjob.com/2016/06/28/postal-workers-overwhelming-support-strike/

Postal Workers Overwhelmingly Support Strike

WINNIPEG – There is massive support for a strike from postal workers in Manitoba as the deadline to reach a new deal looms.

According to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, 98 per cent of their workers in Winnipeg have voted in favour a strike.

100 per cent of rural workers in Manitoba have also voted in favour.

The contract dispute between the Union and Canada Post stretches back to 2015 and the deadline to reach a new deal is Saturday.

Canada Post has begun warning its biggest volume customers to prepare for service disruptions.
Message 85 of 114
latest reply

I had planned on listing a whole bunch of items last week but with the looming possible postal strike decided not to. There are also a number of items from Canadian sellers I was looking at purchasing but once again due to the looming postal strike I put any purchases on hold for the time being. Sadly some of the items I wanted to purchase I could use right now.

I do not understand the eBay stance of keeping things as normal and telling stores and sellers to keep selling. Most buyers who know about the strike will not buy and the most of ones that do will not be happy about having to wait for their items.

Message 86 of 114
latest reply

Assuming the sellers use Canada Post. Others are switching to couriers. Ask your seller. Many are staying open regardless. 

Message 87 of 114
latest reply

Raphael has opened the Weekly Chat thread for today, and clarified feedback and defects related to shipping time WILL BE REMOVED during any Canada Post work stoppage. Also, he indicated another announcement was coming about it today. 

Message 88 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Raphael has opened the Weekly Chat thread for today, and clarified feedback and defects related to shipping time WILL BE REMOVED during any Canada Post work stoppage. Also, he indicated another announcement was coming about it today. 

Sellers may want to consider what answers Raphael gives to the questions I posted on that board today concerning INR/INAD claims and seller status before making any decisions to remain open. 

Message 89 of 114
latest reply

All Canadian sellers should take a few minutes to review the Board Hour today:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-29-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/342193#U342193

Message 90 of 114
latest reply

I asked that the previous 2 sessions and got zero as usual.

The announcement comimng out today is not out yet as the last one I have is from the 24th.

Ebay.ca is going to become the laughing stock of the business world due to all the idiotic changes, problems, errors, fixes that don't work, announcements that are a joke, no answers to specific questions, etc.

I am glad Pierre is getting on the same band wagon as others that are becoming more vocal.

Message 91 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
The eBay postal strike announcement is back up. There are three and they all say the same general thing EXCEPT that the most recent announced post is missing the paragraph about removing defects. Which doesn't bode well for anyone with issues about trusting eBay to keep its word. Surely, they must see that.

That third announcement to which I was referring in this post has now vanished. How odd. 

A new announcement is expected later today, as per Raphael at Board Hour. 

Message 92 of 114
latest reply

The new announcement has been posted:

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/29/7806/

Message 93 of 114
latest reply

The June 29th announcement is an absolute joke.

Not even a mention of INR and SNAD, or Returns.

I guess Ebay Canada continues their non answers and ignore questions from seller, no response and we really could care less attitude.

Well done Canada Ebay and keep up the useless work.

I expected no less from Ebay Canada.

Message 94 of 114
latest reply

Last week had been really great regarding sales, so I am glad I did not close my store. However, I put it on vacation today. My listings are still visible (my choice), but the notice that there might be delays in shipping is there. Hopefully, this won't last long. I need the money to pay my bills!

Message 95 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

That third announcement to which I was referring in this post has now vanished. How odd. 

A new announcement is expected later today, as per Raphael at Board Hour. 

I'm getting the feeling the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  🙂  

Message 96 of 114
latest reply

You know, I've worked in offices with major responsibilities and minor staffing, where everyone runs amok 24/7 and this reminds me of that.
Message 97 of 114
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

The June 29th announcement is an absolute joke.

Not even a mention of INR and SNAD, or Returns.

I would suggest you read the actual announcement because INR is addressed:

• Estimated delivery dates will be adjusted on listings created on eBay.ca to help manage buyer expectations
  • Timelines for items not received claims will be adjusted

-..-

And I am curious as why you think SNAD has something to do with a postal shutdown.

-..-

Message 98 of 114
latest reply

And please read mine as well as previous posts.

I am talking about actual claims being opened and if Ebay wants to be wishy washy with no straight answer, what happens if they go to Paypal or do a charge back.

Maybe if they said "We will not allow any claims to be opened during the strike  and a further 2 weeks after the strike" I would have a little more trust in Ebay.

You can defend Ebay all you like, But for this mess, they need to put things in black and white to avoid any outs for buyers or sellers.

Ebay is a non trustworthy company for issues that come up as has been posted on all boards over and over again.

What makes any one think this will be any different.

Message 99 of 114
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

I would suggest you read the actual announcement because INR is addressed:

• Estimated delivery dates will be adjusted on listings created on eBay.ca to help manage buyer expectations
  • Timelines for items not received claims will be adjusted

And I am curious as why you think SNAD has something to do with a postal shutdown.

Unfortunately, adjusting delivery dates and claim timelines mean nothing if eBay still allows claims to be opened at some point (or where buyers rely on the alternative Paypal claim).  The problem is that no one knows how long a postal strike may last.  

Granted, some buyers will just give up or forget, others may be understanding, but as 'dutchman'  says, it only takes a handful of unresolved claims to destroy everything a good seller has built up. 

SNADs are an issue because of returns, which by definition will be virtually impossible during the strike.  Meaning if a return of an item can't be done, the seller has the choice of either losing the item and the refund he/she makes voluntarily, paying the cost of FedEx or other courier return of the item, or letting eBay step in, make the refund, and hit the seller with an unresolved case.  

So the point with SNADs is that this too is an area where sellers could very easily end up with unresolved claims as a result of the strike by following eBay's irresponsible advice to remain open for business. 

Message 100 of 114
latest reply