New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

Re: New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

You crack me up marnotom!  I took a look at your myriads of postings.  You spend SO MUCH time promoting understanding and patience of this kooky global shipping program.  You make me laugh.  Don't stop.. please!

Message 421 of 485
latest reply

@alphabet.soup.1971 wrote:

You crack me up marnotom!  I took a look at your myriads of postings.  You spend SO MUCH time promoting understanding and patience of this kooky global shipping program.  You make me laugh.  Don't stop.. please!

How come you're not helping?  😉

And why do you suppose people purchase from GSP listings in the first place when all the charges are stated right on the listing page, as well as links to its terms and conditions?  🙂

By the way, there's nothing "kooky" about having taxes advanced to customs.  It's how things are done with most carriers.  The postal system as well as the ground services of carriers such as UPS and FedEx which collect taxes on delivery are the "kooky" ones.

Message 422 of 485
latest reply

I just HATE this new system!!

It makes items that are only $19.99 themselves upwards of $30 dollars between actual shipping and these import charges!! Which results in me not buying the item!

Please know that this move is severely reducing your business!

Message 423 of 485
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

And why do you suppose people purchase from GSP listings in the first place when all the charges are stated right on the listing page, as well as links to its terms and conditions?  🙂

marnotom!:  This has been explained over and over to you.   Why do you ask yet again?

Message 424 of 485
latest reply

Actually, it hasn't been explained in the slightest.  You just think it has.

Message 425 of 485
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I didn't mention shipping fees in my previous post because you didn't mention them, either.  All you seemed to be referring to were the Import Charges which are GST/PST/HST/QST and duties (if applicable) plus the GSP processing charges.

The example you provided shows a shipping charge of US$21.34.  You can tell me better than I can if that's reasonable or not.

The example you provided also shows Import Charges of US$66.06 to Alberta, at least for me.  If you change the destination postal code, the import charges should reflect the taxes charged in the destination province, although for some reason for me in B.C. I get what appears to be just GST charged when we actually have PST as well.

The import charges are based on the Buy it Now price, so 5% of US$1100 is US$55, which makes the GSP's "money-grab" US$11.06.

Personal imports sent by mail are always subject to tax charges (and duty if the item is made outside of a free-trade zone country) if the declared value of the item is more than C$20.  A C$9.95 charge is added on top of the taxes, etc. due.  The big however is that if they're sent by mail, they go through Canada Border Services, and they don't assess and tax every single item that they receive, just like the cops don't always ticket me for speeding in a school zone.  With the GSP, you're never going to see a taxable item go tax-free.  Am I making sense here, or am I talking Chinese?

Did you NOT read my post???? I figured out a TOTAL difference (all in) of just over $106. Now maybe to you $106 is nothing, but I would rather pocket that $106 than pay it to eBay for the same product.

I told you what was showing me for the "import charge" ($155.82) and you say you saw somthing different? Now please explain to me why that is? Almost sounds like eBay is randomly picking numbers for different users. In fact I just looked at the auction again and now it is assesing an import charge of $160.26 (see attached screen shot) - also of note on the relisted auction it is showing an impport charge of $142.44 (what is up with that?).

Now what part of this you say isn't a "money grab"???

Yes I agree, mail is ALWAYS subject to taxes/etc - but, again, if you bothered to read and understand my post you would have noticed that it has been on a VERY rare occasion that I have had to pay any taxes on my items (and there is also usually a processing fee of $5 added by Canada Post) - still FAR cheaper than eBay's price gouging.

Message 426 of 485
latest reply

why is ebay forcing canadians to pay customs and duty fees up front?! this is a complete ripoff! i have absolutely no reason to buy anything from ebay anymore! i used to pay custom fees, maybe once or twice, most of my purchases i didnt pay any custom fees. But now you are forcing custom fees! everything i buy on ebay i have to add 40 or more dollars onto the item ontop of shipping. i will spend almost, if not more than 100$ on shipping alone! what a joke! I can buy everything i want new at the stores for less money now! there is absolutely no reason for me to use ebay anymore. You guys have ruined ebay.

Message 427 of 485
latest reply

@tpcf wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

I didn't mention shipping fees in my previous post because you didn't mention them, either.  All you seemed to be referring to were the Import Charges which are GST/PST/HST/QST and duties (if applicable) plus the GSP processing charges.

The example you provided shows a shipping charge of US$21.34.  You can tell me better than I can if that's reasonable or not.

The example you provided also shows Import Charges of US$66.06 to Alberta, at least for me.  If you change the destination postal code, the import charges should reflect the taxes charged in the destination province, although for some reason for me in B.C. I get what appears to be just GST charged when we actually have PST as well.

The import charges are based on the Buy it Now price, so 5% of US$1100 is US$55, which makes the GSP's "money-grab" US$11.06.

Personal imports sent by mail are always subject to tax charges (and duty if the item is made outside of a free-trade zone country) if the declared value of the item is more than C$20.  A C$9.95 charge is added on top of the taxes, etc. due.  The big however is that if they're sent by mail, they go through Canada Border Services, and they don't assess and tax every single item that they receive, just like the cops don't always ticket me for speeding in a school zone.  With the GSP, you're never going to see a taxable item go tax-free.  Am I making sense here, or am I talking Chinese?

Did you NOT read my post???? I figured out a TOTAL difference (all in) of just over $106. Now maybe to you $106 is nothing, but I would rather pocket that $106 than pay it to eBay for the same product.

I told you what was showing me for the "import charge" ($155.82) and you say you saw somthing different? Now please explain to me why that is? Almost sounds like eBay is randomly picking numbers for different users. In fact I just looked at the auction again and now it is assesing an import charge of $160.26 (see attached screen shot) - also of note on the relisted auction it is showing an impport charge of $142.44 (what is up with that?).

Now what part of this you say isn't a "money grab"???

Yes I agree, mail is ALWAYS subject to taxes/etc - but, again, if you bothered to read and understand my post you would have noticed that it has been on a VERY rare occasion that I have had to pay any taxes on my items (and there is also usually a processing fee of $5 added by Canada Post) - still FAR cheaper than eBay's price gouging.

Are you sure you've got an Alberta postal code for the listing to refer to?  I just looked at that listing and plugged in a Calgary postal code starting with T1X and I got $60 and change for import charges (screen shot attached).  The import charges you quote seem to be for Nova Scotia.

I still don't follow how you feel that eBay is price gouging you when it's the government that's pocketing the taxes due.

By the way, Canada Post's processing fee went up to C$9.95 a little while back.

Message 428 of 485
latest reply

Well, I just came across this new eBay scam and, reading all the other posts here, I'd say it looks like I ended up in the right place.

I've been a member since 2003 and I could swear they continue to deliberately make the worst decisions possible in an effort to sabotage themselves.

I used to buy regularly from the US as well as Europe. As with most online shoppers, the benefit of eBay is that you generally don't pay duty charges because the item is cheaper and/or the seller often agrees to offer it as a gift. Additionally, us Canadians have a fairly lax postal system in which you only really get dinged with customs charges on expensive items.

eBay, in all their infinite wisdom, now imposes that tax on behalf of the seller - most of them UNAWARE sellers, so we must now pay duty charges whether we like it or now.

What does this mean eBay? Well, it means you won't be making a profit of about $50 or more every couple of months from me anymore as I will no longer be using your site to purchase from US sellers. Ask yourself this: was it worth it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one so I can only assume eBay will see a sharp decrease in profits over this new tax in the coming months. Looking at a $100 used coat, one would have to be nuts to order that and pay an additional $40-$50 in duty. Seriously... What on earth were you thinking eBay? Oh wait... You weren't.

Before all the eBay fanboys jump in and declare that duty charges are the law: the bottom line is people, including myself, will shop with whatever means give them the best savings. eBay used to be that way once, a long time ago. But now it's become more expensive to buy through eBay than to just buy online.

Way to go eBay. Yet another fine move...

I seriously hope you reconsider this ridiculous new 'feature'. Until then, no more US shopping for me. In the end, no one gets burned more than you, eBay.
Message 429 of 485
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Are you sure you've got an Alberta postal code for the listing to refer to?  I just looked at that listing and plugged in a Calgary postal code starting with T1X and I got $60 and change for import charges (screen shot attached).  The import charges you quote seem to be for Nova Scotia.

I still don't follow how you feel that eBay is price gouging you when it's the government that's pocketing the taxes due.

By the way, Canada Post's processing fee went up to C$9.95 a little while back.

Are you serious? I live in Edmonton AB - why would I care what my shipping charges are for other parts of Canada? Obviously there is some discrempency here on their charges - why is that?

And as others have stated, why should we now have to pay import fees on everything now vs. only paying them very seldomly before?

Hey, but if you are perfectly fine with paying all these extra charges that the eBay gestapo is now forcing on us, please send me your contact info so you can pay my share of them as well. 😉

Edit - just checked, import fees at $142.44 (see attached screen shot - includes date and time). Obviously some sort of scam going on here with the different pricing...

Message 430 of 485
latest reply

BTW marmot! - I assume you have proof that all this money that they are collecting goes to the Canadian government?

Also why are you getting a different rate? Import fees (or whatever you want to call them) are based off a percentage of the sale price. Why would this percentage change from person to person (especially if they are in the same geographical region)?

Sounds like you are working for eBay...

Message 431 of 485
latest reply

"you have proof that all this money that they are collecting goes to the Canadian government?"

We are all consumers here in Canada and buy "stuff" everyday from many merchants charging us GST or PST or HST.  None of us have any "proof" that the money is eventually paid by the merchant to the government. We all work on trust that the GST/HST registered sellers will remit and trust the government to make sure the correct amounts are duly collected.

"Why would this percentage change from person to person"

There is no straight percentage as such. That is a misconception.

Let's take a $50 taxable item going to Ontario (HST 13%), the charge by PB may be around $11.00 made of $6.50 in HST and $4.50 in service charge (cheaper than Canada Post).

Now, let's take a $25 taxable item going to Ontario (HST 13%), the charge by PB may be around $7.75 made of $3.75 in HST and $4.50 in service charge.

Finally, let's take a $100 taxable item going to Ontario (HST 13%), the charge by PB may be around $17.50 made of $13.00 in HST and $4.50 in service charge.

Now, if one were to calculate percentages it would work out as follows:

$11.00/$50.00 = 23%

$7.75 /$25.00 = 31%

$17.50/$100= 17.5%

Conclusion - comparing percentages is not a viable option as only part of the total charge (the tax) is based on a percentage.

In addition to the above, we all know tax rates vary from province to province.  Even the taxable status of some items vary from province to province.

Message 432 of 485
latest reply

PS - For the record, I am not an employee of eBay nor receive any compensation from them.

Just an experienced seller - fifteen years on eBay with over 105,000 transactions - who thinks the GSP is not suitable for most transactions by most Canadian buyers.  The program is ill conceived and eBay never took the time to properly educate American sellers about when and how to use it. 

The program is also very opaque and lacks clarity as far as charges and taxes are concerned.  This lack of clarity has been mentionned many times before but has been ignored so far by eBay.

Message 433 of 485
latest reply

@tpcf wrote:

Edit - just checked, import fees at $142.44 (see attached screen shot - includes date and time). Obviously some sort of scam going on here with the different pricing...

Not obvious at all to me. I do get $142.44 for import charges, but only when I change the shipping destination's postal code to an Ontario one.  I still get sixty bucks and change for Alberta.  See the screenshots.

Make sure you have your postal code set correctly.  It is important for calculating the import charges, not just the shipping charges as Alberta's the only province where GST would be charged on this purchase.  Other provinces would see either some combination of PST and GST or else HST (in the case of Ontario).

Ontario.jpg

Alberta.jpg

Message 434 of 485
latest reply

marnotom! wrote:

tpcf wrote:

Not obvious at all to me. I do get $142.44 for import charges, but only when I change the shipping destination's postal code to an Ontario one.  I still get sixty bucks and change for Alberta.  See the screenshots.

Make sure you have your postal code set correctly.  It is important for calculating the import charges, not just the shipping charges as Alberta's the only province where GST would be charged on this purchase.  Other provinces would see either some combination of PST and GST or else HST (in the case of Ontario).

Hey, my postal code is right - just checked and it hasn't changed since I been using eBay.

In any event, even at the cheaper rate chances are really great that I would pay more for the item using this new policy that eBay is now forcing on us. Perhaps it would be a better idea if the buyer was given the choice of paying eBay for the import fees or paying them directly to Canada Post (or other) when you receive the package?

I know for one I would pick the second option EVERY single time as I have hardly ever had to paid GST or any other fees on item I have bought off eBay (or other online retailers) - yes there has been the odd time, but it is very rare. For the record, I buy a lot of items over the internet from the US (and the odd time from Australia and Europe) over the last 10 years and I could probably count the time I had to pay GST/import fees using the fingers on both hands - I am talking something like less than 2% of the time.

Again I ask, WHY would I would simply want to volunteer to pay these fees EVERY single time when I don’t normally have to? You have yet to give me a good reason.

Message 435 of 485
latest reply

"WHY would I would simply want to volunteer to pay these fees EVERY single time when I don’t normally have to? You have yet to give me a good reason."

There is no answer to that question.

For buyers importing goods in order to avoid paying the consumption taxes (GST/PST/HST) otherwise payable when the same goods are purchased in Canada, getting their goods by mail is the only option. It works a large percentage of the time.

On the other hand, I really hope tax saving is not the reason Canadians buy from the USA.

Message 436 of 485
latest reply

@tpcf wrote:

Hey, my postal code is right - just checked and it hasn't changed since I been using eBay.

Interesting.  Even more so as I don't have a screenshot so I can see this for myself.

Speaking of screenshots, I looked at one of your earlier ones and noted that you were actually viewing the item on the .com site rather than the .ca site.  I wonder if this is a possible cause for the discrepancy?

@tpcf wrote:

Again I ask, WHY would I would simply want to volunteer to pay these fees EVERY single time when I don’t normally have to? You have yet to give me a good reason.

I don't normally get caught for speeding in school zones, either, but I'm not going to grouse about getting ticketed the day I do get caught.  It's the law, and I should be be facing the consequences for not following it.

It's also the law that imported items are subject to tax.  It is what it is.

I don't shop on eBay to save on taxes.  I shop on eBay to find items that I simply cannot find in my neck of the woods.  If I want a particular item badly enough, I'll pay what I need to pay for it.

Message 437 of 485
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

On the other hand, I really hope tax saving is not the reason Canadians buy from the USA.

Actually, for many of us, this on top of the actual price being less than buying Canadian was the reason many of us used ebay. 

I have even mostly stopped buying my collectables. except from Japan... buying from there hasnt changed...yet.

typical prices from USA to Canada (which, when i can see the country from my house, sorry but that shouldnt be international, but anyway)

item:$20-30 (not bad for what i collect in todays market)

shipping: anywhere from $8-$20+ dollars, not uncommon to see $30 often, for *small* items!

importing charges: what ive seen so far, at least $20 if not higher.

so thats basically tripling your baseline price. Which equals to the buyer sincerely debating. Before, for the item to be $20-30 with shipping only being $8, maybe $10 on the higher end, we would hop at it no questions. Now, thats all we do is question. Sellers dont sell, because buyers dont buy.

Things started to go downhill when only the shipping prices were starting to raise. Shipping prices are a joke now already since I can find plenty of good quality packing materials at the local dollar store.  But see, sellers are lazy... they go to UPS and buy their packing stuff and ship from there, cuz its easier than running a couple of errands. or they just plain want to profit, one of the 2.

and now with these new import fees:

Yep, nice work ebay. 

Message 438 of 485
latest reply

I am messaging sellers to let them know about the scam, but for the short term I will not purchase anything that has the import fees.  Tough luck ebay, you won't be making any money from me this year.

Message 439 of 485
latest reply

Yep you are right... But as far as I understand the reading the GSP convention, and it is very confusing...  ''Import Charge'' are simply an extra shipping charge... That's it !

Message 440 of 485
latest reply