Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lorraine_carol wrote:
With due respect Rodney, your 'good night' sign-off was rather patronizing and condescending and of course the blatantly obvious, canned "thanks for your business. Please keep selling."

I'm sorry you feel that way Lorraine_carol. I meant to convey neither of those things.

I like to thank people for their business. I've always done it when I meet sellers. Why shouldn't I thank sellers? I mean, your fees pay my salary. Maybe I'm delivering pizzas right now if not for you guys.

Anyway, in the context of a thread full of unhappy sellers, I thought it was an appropriate thing to say and I meant it from the heart.

Message 401 of 1,448
latest reply

@libaliss wrote:

If I decide to use both ebay.ca and ebay.com, with using two different currencies, isn't that going to be a nightmare to sort out in my paypal account?

I sell on both eBay.ca and eBay,com and it's not problem using PayPal.

Do make sure you have Canadian and US dollars setup for PayPal so you don't have unwanted conversions.

PayPal balance > Manage currencies

-.-

Message 402 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Regarding the migration tool.

I understand the tool is for converting eBay.ca Canada listing in U$ to C$ or to move eBay.ca Canada Listings in US$ to eBay.com in US$.

What about sellers like me who have listings on ebay.com USA in US$ and want to move them back to eBay.ca in Can$? If selling on eBay.ca in Can$ is so much better, why is there not a tool to move my listing back to ebay.ca?

I have only a few listings running so I can convert back manually but what about sellers who have many listings on eBay.com USA in US$? Should they not have a tool to go and try the eBay.ca site in Can$? At least to move some est listings over to see if sales improve?

That's a really great question. This is functionality we've been talking about adding. It's nice to hear at least one of our sellers would be interested in it.

Our first priority was to build something to help with migration around this retirement of USD, but the idea of using as a .com to .ca converter did occur to us as well. It is something we will explore.

Message 403 of 1,448
latest reply

Pjcdn2005 ...this is what I also am planning to do. Similar to what I am already doing but both were in u.s. dollars and customers had to pay separately if bought from both sites. Never had an issue. Now I will use  can currencies if I need the shipping calculator and continue to use  u.s if shipping price is fixed. I would like to ask you how that affects your selling reports...do you get 2 sets one on .ca in Canadian currency and one for .com in u.s currency. I asked the question earlier but no response ...saw this and thought you could let me know. Thank you!

Message 404 of 1,448
latest reply

When is the tool going to be available to send all of my .ca listings over to .com?
Message 405 of 1,448
latest reply

I hope Ebay don't do this, because many seller canadian will be stop, we don't have a large profit on EBAY, we have the fees in many side, really I am discouraged with this.

Message 406 of 1,448
latest reply

The real losers here are the sellers who have been listing in CAN$ all along.  With the others going to see an increase in sell through surely that will mean we will see a decrease as we lose share to them!!  Very angy over this

Message 407 of 1,448
latest reply

@beautyj2013 wrote:
Hi this news is not good! I personally have no interest in listing my items in $CAD. Besides, all of my customers have been from the U.S. It looks like i will be moving my business to Amazon then. Sorry ebay.

I see you have some really nice clothing for sale.

If switching to the river you need to jump through a lot of hoops,

You need to list on  .com as that is the only one with US$

You need to have a US bank account if you want payment in US$ (paypal not accepted)

You need to be approved to sell in the clothing category.

You need images that match that site's standards.

If all you want is US$, then it is far easier for you to simply switch to selling on eBay.com

-.-

Message 408 of 1,448
latest reply

So it's okay that we might be the ones delivering pizzas instead?

Message 409 of 1,448
latest reply

@tobysh-itzu wrote:

The real losers here are the sellers who have been listing in CAN$ all along.  With the others going to see an increase in sell through surely that will mean we will see a decrease as we lose share to them!!  Very angy over this

Haven't you been reading this thread?

With all these sellers leaving eBay.ca there is going to be lots of extra share to go around...

Message 410 of 1,448
latest reply

I may not speak for everyone, but I'm sure I speak for some in saying this. Although we dislike the new policy, we do appreciate you and Raphael taking the time to assist us in the process and answering our questions.

I was looking forward to the new promotion of 100k free Fixed Price listings, but just as quickly felt disappointed to find out the promotion was only for items listed in CAD dollar. This means the sellers that choose to migrate to ebay.com will not be able to benefit from the promotion. So if we want to take advantage of the promotion, we must list in CAD on eBay.ca.

Based on the feedback received so far, is there any possibility that the new policy will be brought back into the eBay head office drawing board? The focus group may be selected at random, but I think releasing the new policy to the public and the overall reception of the new change so far, it it being negative, is a better understanding of what we, the sellers, really want.

I understand the new policy is supposed to be beneficial to Canadian sellers in the future, but is it too much to ask to give us the option of choosing to sell in Canadian dollar or US dollar? Perhaps you can offer additional benefits and perks for selling in CAD, but taking out the option of selling in USD seems a bit cruel. Largely in part due to the fact that we have our own system setup already to the way we think works best for our store. Not to mention I will have to fix the item description for each listing to match the new currency, since there is no option to edit and replace item descriptions in bulk.

All of this is really frustrating as a seller. I took on eBay because it was the best selling tool out at the time. All the changes made over the year has made it harder to sell. I have never felt the need to speak up, but I really think this has gone too far. I hope our opinions in this discussion board really does make a difference and the eBay team will hear us out on the issue.

Message 411 of 1,448
latest reply

This change is completely unnecessary and it will backfire.
Only 2-3% of my sales are to Canadians, I mostly sale to the US and Europe. I won't be surprised if other sites start popping up and start to take some of ebaye's bussines away.
Seller fees and PayPal fees are already high enough making it difficult to provide better pricing on items, and this is just another hurdle for sellers...something needs to change but this isn't it!!!!
Message 412 of 1,448
latest reply

Do you mean the info on the sales report plus page?

I don't use them as I keep my own records but the info that I see on there is all in US$

As far as billing, everything is on one invoice because you can only be billed in one currency.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

Message 413 of 1,448
latest reply

@tansi_girl wrote:
When is the tool going to be available to send all of my .ca listings over to .com?

According to the announcement page: eBay Listing Migration Tool launches May 2

Message 414 of 1,448
latest reply

Called a CSR today to go through "how to list an ad". Needless to say there was a huge laundry list of glitches "we" encountered on the .com site but the most baffling was the application of tax to a Canadian buyer. This is, by law, mandatory - is it not?

As it currently is - we Canadian seller that want to list in USD and are forced to list on .com -  cannot apply provincial tax. Oh and we cannot do calculated shipping (has to be a flat rate) - great. Inches and pounds - oh my!

I am sure all this will get ironed out but personally I'd like to see it scrapped.

Oh yes and another (this applies to Stores only) - if you signed up and pay for Selling Manager Pro - just see what happens to this paid for service when you jump into .com ......it isn't there.

On a bright side - the photo loader and new themes are pretty nifty.

CSR suggested that all the problems encountered get phoned in and service tickets will be created - she also said the more people that do - the better.

There is my rant.Happy Easter to ya all!

Message 415 of 1,448
latest reply

Thank you ...was pretty much what I wanted to know. Since on .ca it will be canadian currency and on .com u.s currency I was wondering if they would give 2 different selling reports one in canadian for your sales on .ca and another for .com for your sales in u.s. But you said it is one sales report in one currency. Is what I was hoping for . Hoping this is correc? Thank you : )

Message 416 of 1,448
latest reply

Raphael and his colleagues should have answered our questions BEFORE they rammed this down our throats.

Message 417 of 1,448
latest reply

@pacificwinds6875 wrote:

... we Canadian seller that want to list in USD and are forced to list on .com -  cannot apply provincial tax. ..

See this thread for some discussion:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Collecting-HST-listing-on-com/m-p/330467#U330467

Message 418 of 1,448
latest reply

They do look + don't care = you are screwed yet again

Should we smile and nod our collective heads at a decision to poke it, prod it and fumble it till you stand back and say "Now look - it's broke!" ?

There ain't enough crazy glue to fix all these "improvements". I thought I was done ranting... (guess not).

There is that saying and I firmly believe in it - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

Personally - I am looking at a different selling platform and over the long weekend will be beta testing business platforms to possibly run past my boss.

If EBay doesn't work, I don't work which means a whole lotta ugly. This used to be my dream job and over the last 3 years it has progressively become a struggle. But if you really want to struggle - try to do an ad. Just try. We all can't comment here till we have actually experienced it. Write done every glitch you encounter. You might feel like tossing it to someone that can actually influence the structure of Ebay.ca and EBay.com

Message 419 of 1,448
latest reply

I was going to list 500+ items in the next 2 months but now I am in pause mode because of this fiasco......I really don't want to waist so much time when I have to do such a drastic change that just might collapse. This retirement usd like law is obviously confusing and is a very unpopular. We as an eBay.ca community have no say or part in all that is brought upon us here. Almost seems draconian. Not Happy!!

Spoiler
Man Frustrated
Message 420 of 1,448
latest reply