Tell Us About Your "it" Item Purchased on eBay

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
We wanted to give you a quick heads-up about our new eBay “it” marketing campaign which launched recently. The campaign is designed to celebrate the extremely wide range of great things you can buy on eBay, just in time for the holiday shopping season. To view the campaign, visit www.whatis-it.com.

We want to hear all about your best “it” moment on eBay. What was the most memorable item you bought on eBay? Why? You can post your favourite “it” purchase here and we will gather up all the "it" stories and there will be an eBay prize awarded for the best "it" story.

Regards,
Carly
eBay Community Development
Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

jamie_richards0
Community Member
For a long time I was wanting to buy the original Star Trek series DVD's. The ones in the red, blue and yellow cases. In canada, at walmart, they retail for 65.18 + tax each. I got them from a guy in Calgary, brand new, sealed and shipped to my door for $100 and change. I saved over 100 dollars and I was as happy as a pig in
S#$%.

That was my "IT" deal.

Jamie
Message 81 of 132
latest reply

lewis-zhang
Community Member
My best "it" time was one month ago, I upload a leather cuff on ebay, 3 bidder put bids on it when it was mid-night in my country, they put on bids without ask me a question, and finally the item was shipped to the winner smoothly.He give me a positive feedback.
Maybe it is nothing special to you, but that moment is quite commemorable to me and I was so grateful to all the bidder. Because at that time they put bids on me, my feedback was only 1,their trust inspired me a lot.
Message 82 of 132
latest reply

My happiest moment on Ebay was I had debated buying a barbie from www.barbiecollector.com, I really loved the doll, but it was $145 US, plus Canada Customs zing me as well, I waited 2 days and finally said I want her, logged in to the website and she was SOLD OUT! She was a limited edition doll with less than 5000 made, I thought I lost out.

I decided to chek ebay, and I met a wonderfull seller named Emileeo, they had the doll in their ebay store, they were perfect, as I am a new buyer/seller to ebay.

The doll was perfect as if it had come from Matel directly, the box was perfect, and the shipping cost was accurate. They ensured that the doll was packed safely and secure.

So I know there are alot of great people here on ebay, and will continue to purcahse on this site!
Message 83 of 132
latest reply

head1936
Community Member
They would be "where is it" items - things that have gotten lost over the years through moves, the passage of time and mishandling - a favorite book I had when I was a boy, a set of antique spotlights I had that my brother forgot in the trunk of a car he sold, an antique toy that was stolen during a move, a rare Holmes Gaard glass bowl that I didn't get in the property settlement...things Ihad even forgotten about, but after seeing them on eBay bid and won - nostalgia can be a good thing.
Message 84 of 132
latest reply

evie65
Community Member
I have a problem . I wonder if anyone can help me with. I went to pay an item with paypal and somehow it came up with [other] for payment now I cant get rid of it so I can go ahead with the payment.
Message 85 of 132
latest reply

anneta26
Community Member
My most favorite "it" item was the mini sikh boxing gloves for my boyfriend... it was the reason I even signed up for e-bay because I have gone to every store in the city looking for ANY boxing gloves that he could hang on his rear view mirror and had absolutely no luck.
And then I found this amazing seller from UK on here, the item came in mint shape and neatly packed (not only was it the size that I needed but also had a sikh symbol on them that my b'f likes so much) and the look on my his face was priceless! (He has been wanting them for a while and for some odd reason...Winnipeg just doesn't have any).
Since then I'm simply addicted to e-bay...
Message 86 of 132
latest reply

evie65
Community Member
I recently bid on several IT items .I started doing some scrapbooking and am a senior, so the IT items came in real handy now I am looking forward to alot of scrapbooking thanks to ebay.
Message 87 of 132
latest reply

cristian654
Community Member
For all you experts out there, can you tell me if this Versace is fake or not?...........item# 190143017532
Message 88 of 132
latest reply

vpboyd
Community Member
I'm new to e-bay I won an item and initially had a really hard time contacting the seller after getting contact information from e-bay and contacting the seller I was able to pay for the item, the seller told me that the item would be sent the next day and that I would be given a tracking number to date I have not been able to contact the seller and the voice mailbox is full. What is my next step, who do I notify? 270165206846 is the item number. The seller now has stuff on that ends in a day and one of the items if exactly the item I bid, won and paid for.
Message 89 of 132
latest reply

manitobarose
Community Member
I have now stopped shopping on ebay. My last 5 purchases turned out ot be frauds. It started with earrings where the posts fell off the day it arrived, next something from the dollar store that was misrepresented in the photo and the last one and final straw, I paid through Paypal but never received the goods, it turned out they never existed. However, because I went through Paypal, I was fully refunded. Now I no longer will shop on ebay. It has changed big time. How sad, it was so much fun!!
Message 90 of 132
latest reply

Hi: My favorite "it" moment was last year. I was relatively new to ebay and still wasn't sure of where to look for items. I am still not sure what section I picked up my "it" item up from, but I do know that it wasn't in the usual section of jewelry/rings/blue diamonds. There was only 35 seconds left to bid on the ring, which is a 3stone blue diamond, 1.16 carats. I paid the $1.00 opening bid and won the item! I was sooooo green on ebay, that I emailed the seller as the shipping was $65.00 and felt it was an excessive amount for a $1.00 item. They emailed me back to say shipping had to be insured as it was for diamonds! Needless to say, when I received the ring I was delighted, took it and had it appraised. What a shocker to me when it came back appraised at $3,600.00 !!!!!! Woooohoooooo!!!!! There are bargains to be had on ebay! I am now an avid buyer, had some other great moments and now have my sister just as hooked as I am. Hope you enjoyed my "it" moment. I tell everyone I see about it as I am so very pleased with such a score!!!!!
Message 91 of 132
latest reply

1abovethemall
Community Member
I have two IT stories:

When my sister was born, before my time, my Dad owned a 1967 Austin Healey. My Mom made him sell it because, "It wasn't a family car." Well, this last Father's Day, I was able to buy my Dad his '67 Austin Healey. Although it was a die cast, toy replica, I could not locate one in the town that I lived. He loves it and displays it proudly on his mantle.

When I left home and moved out on my own, I bought a crystal butter dish at a home party where crystal house wares were being sold. My husband broke the top of my crystal butter dish some years later. I did not know anyone hosting the home parties to buy a new one. I was able to find the perfect replacement of the same on eBay! Not only that, my husband has broken that crystal butter dish since then and we are now on number three!
(I hope third time's a charm!)

Take care,

Marnie
1abovethemall
Message 92 of 132
latest reply

ve4mm
Community Member
eBAY's new list option:

"highest price plus shipping" is crap.

It is useless and wrong every time. Get rid of it!

"Highest price" is not available on eBay.com

And the "list other sellers items" does not work anymore.

eBay better get it's act together.

eBay was better 5 years ago.

Why are they making stupid changes??????

Their stock is not doing great either.

Michael Mark, P.Eng.

www.m2engineering.com
Message 93 of 132
latest reply

mikethemic416
Community Member
I collect Seiko 5-series (mechanical self-winding) wristwatches, and often hunt through eBay looking for them. Found a beautiful mint-condition Sports model divers' watch being auctioned by a private bidder in the USA, bid on it, and won the auction at about a hundred bucks. When it arrived in Canada, Canada Revenue Agency wanted a surprising amount of duties for it (about sixty dollars). I was shocked to learn that the watch is worth over $400.00, so I didn't mind paying a little extra in taxes. I was still getting a great deal on what has turned out to be my favourite watch.
Message 94 of 132
latest reply

dan83048
Community Member
I put a wrong bid. I want to order a Coolsat 4000 receiver, but it is only the receiver guide. I want to cancell it. Where do I call?
Message 95 of 132
latest reply

My favorite is a 1969 Army flak Jacket purchased recently. The best addition yet to my collection & the seller was great & shipped at warp speed,o.k.slightly slower but I still love my jacket.
Message 96 of 132
latest reply

was just looking around and found a program from 1949 memorial cup playdowns which included the pembroke lumber kings---since i live in pembroke I thought "wow" purchased it and now have it framed and in my rec room.
Message 97 of 132
latest reply

beauceboys
Community Member
One of my favourite 'it' stories was a few years ago I saw something in a plastics jewelry lot I knew just had to be the real thing....a nice large lot of assorted 'vintage' plastic items-about 20 in the lot, the one item in question was a large wide celluloid flower bracelet. As it turned out I few other bidders saw what I saw(not that that is uncommon but, at the time, being a 'newby', I was truly excited at the possibility of winning this rare bracelet!)...I ended up winning, paying 140.00 for the lot! Cool!....so what do I do?...turn around and sold the said bracelet for 180.00, to a lady who was writing a book on celluloid and just had to have the bracelet.
Another 'it' story I'd like to share(simply because my seller/friend no longer sells on ebay) She walked into value village one day and, being a collector of glass, saw this bag of marbles, something caught her eye...she decided to buy the bag, took it home and broke up the bag to make 'lots' from these marbles. The one marble she took a hunch on, listing it separately from the rest, and can you believe for a 1/2" piece of glass some buyer in Germany was tickled pink to spend 1300.00 on it(not a typo error...1300.00)...talk about having marbles, lol. It turned out to be a rare multi-swirled German marble from the mid-19th century, and yes, apparently the buyer WAS tickled pink.
'it': the player whose turn it is to chase or hunt for the other players.
Message 98 of 132
latest reply

naonah
Community Member
My best "it" item was when I purchased a mermaid barbie for my daughter. She had two out of the three dolls and they stopped making them before she finished her collection. I was lucky enough to find it, in it's original packaging, on eBay for dirt cheap. Boy, did she believe in Santa that year!
Message 99 of 132
latest reply

astros1st
Community Member
?:| you know what i don't understand is that when i order an item for exple my shipping costs are $17.00 and the funny thing is when my package arrives it has a postage stamp with the price of only $2.75 why is that ??? because i really don't know if anybody knows can you post a reply thank-you great ebayers
Message 100 of 132
latest reply