Why haven't *YOU* signed up for the Canada Post PowerSeller discount yet?

There seems to be tons of discussion going on in a number of threads regarding shipping discounts.

My question to everyone is that if you're not already getting a good discount, why have you *NOT* signed up for the PS discount with CP yet?

In this post:
http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jsp?forum=44&thread=100017316&message=100406005#100406005
I showed a sample of my PS discount rate versus the V1 rate...my discount equates to 30% off Venture One for that calculation, and 33.5% off counter rate.

Canada Post also introduced Commercial Pricing levels for Small Packet. They hiked the rates for COUNTER SALES, but left the rates the same for those of us with contracts...effectively, commercial customers get Small Packet discounts now too.

And finally, this takes ZERO work, ZERO negotiation. You go to the PowerSeller homepage, click the link, fill out the form. CP secure e-mails you your information in a few days, and you're off to the races.

Looking back, I don't know why I didn't register earlier, so I'm asking why so many people are on the fence about this?

Maybe we can dedicate this thread to dealing with the PS discount and any related questions.

(If you want me to post more sample shipping quotes, please post package info and postal code and I'll pull up a few more...)
Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Why haven't *YOU* signed up for the Canada Post PowerSeller discount yet?

Absolutely, use the desktop version. It's offline and *INCREDIBLY* fast to use once you get the hang of it. You put in all the information on one screen, choose shipping method and options, hit F4 to Calculate then hit F9 to print. 60 seconds tops per package.
Message 41 of 107
latest reply

**niko***
Community Member
I did, too bad for me.

First they only accept Credit cards as payment, don't have one available right now. Second discounts only apply to certain packages, most of mine are small packet US - no discount.

Phoned, explained I didnt have cc but ship 50+ packages a week. Fine - apply for regular commercial account BUT you have to meet a quota and small packets do not apply towards your quota. ALSO, once you sign up as a powerseller, you can't change to a regular commercial account.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 42 of 107
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Because I'm on a Mac I have no other option than to use the On-line version.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 43 of 107
latest reply

dragons_horde
Community Member
For those of your using the online tools. What type of average discounts are you getting for upgrading to the Silver Powerseller level?

I have run a few different examples and I have not been able to get anything better then 3% off of shipping rates to the US and to Ontario. (I am in the Maritimes)
Is this the type of savings you all seem to be getting? I am sure I read people were getting 20-30% off of expedited and express shipping.

3% seems hardly worth the time of printing (cost of ink), inputting data, etc.

CP has indicated this might be a glitch with the change over to new rates..so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Message 44 of 107
latest reply

Post #18:

"In CP speak, the discount for Bronze and Silver PSses is Level 2 for Canada, and Level 1 for USA (same as V1 I believe)."

Bronze and Silver have the same discount. Gold get more.

"I have run a few different examples and I have not been able to get anything better then 3% off of shipping rates to the US and to Ontario."

Sounds like you're getting only the automation discount which is 3%. Did you actually sign up for a *CONTRACT* with them? It's not the same thing as signing up to use OBC.
Message 45 of 107
latest reply

dragons_horde
Community Member
I have spoken to a couple of people at CP (I see now what the rest of you have been saying about different areas of CP not having a clue what the others are doing!)

Let me get some clarification from you so I can be forarmed.

1) First there seems to be NO discount to the US for any parcels of any size beyond the venture one discount.

2) I was told I have a level 1 for the US and a level 2 for the rest of the country.

3) The rep went on to tell me that 3% was "about right" in terms of a discount for EP and XP to the rest of the country for a level 2 discount.

4) She also mentioned sending to different zones would incure different rates of discount. (which would explain your large discount in your zone)

Javax can you try something for me? Presumably sending a package from you to me should be the same as me sending a package from me to you. (or pretty darn close) My postal code is B2W 2R5 can you calculate what shipping for a package 30cm x 30cm x 20cm weight 1.4 kg would be? Then post your postal code so I can do the reverse. (and we can also check the regular business rate)

Any comments about the above, folks?

Message 46 of 107
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I have a negotiated Level 2 to the US for Express Post and Level 1 for Expedited so your contact at CP is just as misinformed as all the rest at CP.

Malcolm

Message 47 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I have an account that I set up when they first came out with discounts. I have a profile, but there is no contract number. HOw do I get the contract? DO I have to phone them or do it on-line? Anytime I have phoned them in the past, as soon as they heard "ebay" they refused to do anything else for me.

Rob
Message 48 of 107
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Rob
I started with the Ottawa phone number for sales and was referred to a senior Acct Rep in Toronto. At that time I wasnt selling on eBay or anywhere however they became aware of my plans to sell on eBay and it was a PLUS as the rep and fellow reps had a few clients selling on eBay and they were generating considerable volume of business for CP.

I dont know why it would be a negative to sell on eBay for CP.

Malcolm

Message 49 of 107
latest reply

"3) The rep went on to tell me that 3% was "about right" in terms of a discount for EP and XP to the rest of the country for a level 2 discount."

That clearly tells me the rep has no idea what they're talking about.

The discount varies a little from zone to zone. If you want to see how, send me an e-mail and I'll send you an Excel file (or PDF of an Excel file) that has 14 sample rates from my postal code across the province from different carriers including regular flavour CP and PS discount CP.

"My postal code is B2W 2R5 can you calculate what shipping for a package 30cm x 30cm x 20cm weight 1.4 kg would be? Then post your postal code so I can do the reverse. (and we can also check the regular business rate)"

Actual weight for calculation is 3kg because of cubing. Anyways from M3A 1P6 to you I pull up $8.71 including GST for EP with no additional features added.

The regular rate for V1 from the CP calculator is $10.86 again including GST for EP with no additional features added.

Message 50 of 107
latest reply

BTW, that $10.86 doesn't include the 3% automation discount you'd get if you did your Venture One shipping with Online EST.
Message 51 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
HI Malcolm,

I did reach someone that gave me an account number. So far so good. I installed the on-line version and got as far as "drop off place". I use a local Quickie Mart. Can I drop these parcels off to them, because in the EST I only get the major postal outlets as options? I went on the web site but couldn't find the answer. Their website says the hours of operation are 8am to 9pm MOn to Fri, but when I called they said they were closed. Go figure.

So I decided to come where you can get the straight answers from - this forum. X-)

Rob
Message 52 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I meant the desktop version.
Message 53 of 107
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Uh, you *installed* the on-line version? I'm a bit confused!

If you really ARE referring to the on-line version, there is an option to view other outlets...just look around and you should be able to see it. The default is the major postal outlets but the others are there as well.

Message 54 of 107
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Oops, sorry. Our posts must have crossed.

Message 55 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
no problem. I reached a screen to search for more outlets, Every province and city is there, but when I select Ottawa, only about 10 or so of the major outlets are there.
Message 56 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Has anybody been able to order the new small packets labels? I can only find the little green ones.

Thanks
ROb
Message 57 of 107
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Rob
My rates are based on an Ottawa location (a distinct postal code) however you will get the same rate no matter where in Ottawa you ship from.

I go all over the city, from the east to the west to the south to ship (not purposely, just during my daily travels). Use the closest CP outlet on the online version and dont worry about it.

Here is why CP reps telling you that you are getting 3% are full of BS. There is no percentage discount for shipping. A Level 3 is not a 10% or 20% or 30% discount across the board.

I may get 75% for shipping to some areas and only 7% for other areas. Regardless of what is said about CP, it is a business and some places are very expensive to ship to and as such, discounts are not as great to those areas.

Malcolm
Message 58 of 107
latest reply

Crap I thought I hit the post button...I guess I didn't.

It doens't matter where you ship from...drop off the packages at any CP, have them stamp the manifest and leave.

As for small packet labels, that's integrated onto the shipping label with the address if you use EST so you odn't need to do the stickers.
Message 59 of 107
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Thanks all.

So I can select the Corporate outlet in the EST program, but drop them off at the little outlet down the street?

Rob
Message 60 of 107
latest reply