case opened item not received

So...my very first opened case for item not received. I have had inquires over the years about late packages and even refunded some but no one has ever opened a case against me for this before because the options to simply message seller in the past was so much more visible that "open a case".

I'm happy it's my first but still need some guidance. Item shipped Feb. 24th, Light pack U.S, according to estimate should have arrived no later than March 8th. Buyer opens case for item not received today. I reply and apologize and give all details of the shipment minus a tracking number as  light pack is untrackable. I told her I would refund her tonight if she wanted and asked that she notify me if item arrives which she may or may not do. With the new defect system, how am I impacted? Should I issue a refund directly through paypal using her email address rather through ebay and then ask her to close the case? If I refund can she still leave feedback and answer the "question" about whether the item arrived on time? If she can still leave feedback and answer the question, can I get that defect removed because I refunded her? I of course want the customer to be happy. I do believe that the package has not arrived but I also no that it probably will. It is about $30 in total I will be out so I'm ok with that but want to make sure in the process I don't pick up a defect. I'm selling very little these days so  defects can impact me and my TRS. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I made two refunds recently, one with INR opened, and one without INR opened (the later buyer messaged me). The former I refunded via the case details so funds were taken out of my Paypal but I also got my FVF back. The later I refunded via Paypal but I didn't get my FVF back. No defects for either of them because under the new system resolved cases (resolved by making a full refund) should NOT lead to a defect. The INR case automatically closes when you refund via the case.

I can't answer the late shipment defect part of your question because neither of these buyers gave me feedback so neither of them answered THE question so I didn't get defect from it. It has been over 3 weeks since I refunded these two buyers but neither of them contacted me again... so I have no idea if the books were really lost. Both of them were shipped to UK in mid/late-January and both buyers were willing to wait up till 30 days post-shipment then refunds were made. 

I think I have refunded about 5 times for items that didn't arrive over past 9 months or so (never had any refunds prior to that) but no buyers ever contacted me about the books showing up later on. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Off-topic, but the estimated delivery time provided by eBay is just really silly. I sold two books to France this Tuesday (service chosen in the listing was Light Packet international) and the estimated delivery time under order details was Sunday, Mar 20, 2016 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016... I sincerely hope the new buyer won't be sitting by her door on Sunday expecting her books to arrive then... In the listing it says Estimated Delivery within 9-14 business days (and I already have my handling time set as 5 days)... since when is Sunday a business day??? Smiley Mad

As for OP's case, I'd have asked the buyer to wait for a few more days (I usually pick the date before case can get escalated) and if it doesn't arrive by then, then I'll offer refund. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi, I have provided a link to some really good info on this subject.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/I-haven-t-received-my-item-or-Item-not-received-case-the-...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If the buyer is in the U.S. I probably would have asked them to wait for a few more days but when you do refund you should do it through the case and no, you should not get a defect.

If she can still leave feedback and answer the question, can I get that defect removed because I refunded her?

I'm not sure...I would guess that you wouldn't be able to get it removed.   It's possible that she won't get the question because of the refund but I really have no idea if that's true.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks everyone. One more question. I had the option to send message, update tracking or refund when responding to her claim. I opted to message the seller and ask her a couple of questions and to confirm her shipping address, and asked if she would wait a couple of more days as the shipping time is and "estimate". I followed up with a second message yesterday. She has not responded to either. What happens if she doesn't respond? Will the case be closed in my favor as I took actions with one of the options they provided? Can she still leave feedback?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Asking If the buyer doesn't respond or ask ebay to step in, the case will close on its own in about 30 days.  I had a similar situation in February and when I asked the buyer to wait until a specific date, they never replied. I was a bit worried as I thought they might be able to ask ebay to step in but I just waited to hear back. Eventually the case closed so I assume that they received their item.

I believe that ebay considers entering a tracking number or refunding the buyer as 'taking action'. Asking the buyer to wait longer probably does not count as any sort of 'official' action or resolution. However, that's how I've always handled it...... I always ask them to wait until a specific date and then to contact me if they still haven't received it. So far that has always worked and more often than not, they receive their item and are happy about it. Doing it that way has worked out for me so far and haven't had any problems when/if the buyer left feedback.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think that sending a message also counts as taking action, as it moves the status to waiting for the buyer to respond? (or something like that).

The problem is that the buyer can respond by escalating, so I do the same thing as PJC, I ask the if they are ok to wait until a certain date, and to let me know then if it has/n't. So far that approach has worked well for me also.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply