BC sets out responsibility for delivery of online purchases

When I'm not wasting time here, I waste time on FaceBook.

This is my latest discovery.

https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/2020/12/online-orders-who-is-responsible-when-you-dont-get-your-...

•  

Online orders in BC

When you buy something online, you are usually entering into something called a distance sales contract. This “contract” may look like an order confirmation or digital receipt. In BC, with these transactions you are within your rights to cancel your order and request a refund if:

• The business does not give you a copy of the contract within 15 days, you have up to 30 days from date of purchase to cancel the contract
  • The goods are not delivered to you within 30 days of the delivery date noted in the contract
  • OR if you weren’t given a delivery date in your contract and the order doesn’t arrive within 30 days of the purchase

How to cancel your order and request a refund

If the business cannot prove that the order was delivered, then you can “cancel” the contract for one of the two reasons above. Follow these steps to cancel your order and request a refund:

1. To officially cancel the contract and request a refund from the supplier, you can use one of the official cancellation forms available on our website. Once you have filled out the right form, you can send it to the business (by mail, email, or fax). The seller has 15 days to refund you the total amount.  
  2. If the business does not give you your refund, the recourse is now through your credit card provider. You can request that the charges on the card are reversed or cancelled – we also have a form available to help you through that process.
  3. If you are also denied by your credit card provider, we want to know about it. Both the credit card provider and the business would be in breach of the laws we oversee. We would encourage you to submit a complaint to us so we can review it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@reallynicestamps 

Interesting discovery. The question is does BC Consumer Protection trump eBay or vice versa? Or do they overlap to the 10th degree and cancel each other out. Apologies for using the trump word.

If a BC consumer is misled (according to the fine print in that policy) in the forest does eBay even hear?

-Lotz

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I’m not seeing any significant differences between BC Consumer Protections and eBay’s buyer protection schemes. What am I missing?
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Personally, I would start with the eBay system, which generally works out fairly.

Not that the loser is likely to think it is fair...

I'd only go to  government intervention if if all else fails.

Having been a public servant, and with Indian Affairs at that, the mills of the gods look like the Tilt-a-Whirl ride for speedy resolutions.

If I have  point, it's that the legal position is in fact pretty much identical to the eBay position.

Again, we see losing members decrying this, but there we are.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Personally, I would start with the eBay system, which generally works out fairly.

Not that the loser is likely to think it is fair...

I'd only go to  government intervention if if all else fails.

Having been a public servant, and with Indian Affairs at that, the mills of the gods look like the Tilt-a-Whirl ride for speedy resolutions.

If I have  point, it's that the legal position is in fact pretty much identical to the eBay position.

Again, we see losing members decrying this, but there we are.

You end up with policies tripping over each other. Similar to eBay, PayPal and Credit Cards.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 5
latest reply