China to Canada not arriving? Ebay has a problem and must step in

oragex
Community Member

Hello fellow Canadian members

It is well known that a very large percentage of items bought from China are never received by the Canadian buyers.  This is only a problem in Canada, not in the US.  It is a widespread problem for the Canadian buyers.

There have been already discussions on this.  For example  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/China-to-Canada-not-arriving/td-p/206561

I want to resume the situation, and to ask the Ebay management to work out for a durable solution for this issue.

The problem started years ago, when the Canadian Customs were being very slow in inspecting the packages from China, creating this way a large delay in the delivery to the Canadian customers.  This delay caused many Canadian buyers to ask for refund, which hurt and created a distrust from the China sellers.  Ultimately, the Chinese sellers started to mark a very long shipping time for their items bought by Canadian members, a delay which goes past the 60 days limit the Ebay allows for leaving a feedback.  As of 2019, a majority of China sellers actually never ship out their items to Canada, because the Canadian buyers wait over 60 day to receive their items and cannot any longer leave a negative feedback for a missing item: this way the Chinese sellers feedback is not affected by the items they never shipped out.  More over, the Purchase history page does not allow asking for refund after 60 days from the purchase, so many Canadian members don't ask for a refund when their item is missing.

It is important to note that these missing items never arrive to the destination, not even 6 months or 1 year later.

Ebay must put pressure on the Chinese sellers, to prevent them from escaping when they don't ship out the items to Canada.  Ebay must extend the feedback time limit to be longer than the shipping time limit.  Same for the refund time limit on the Purchase history page.

I am also asking Ebay to communicate with the Canadian Customs.  The Canadian Customs are too slow to process the items from China.  In comparison, the US Customs are much more efficient.  The Canadian Customs must improve their process.  Ebay management as well as any Ebay member can communicate with the Canadian Customs  with this form https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/feedback-retroaction-eng.html

As a Canadian buyer, I will stop purchasing for now from China, because there is no reason to purchase when most of the items never arrive.  It is sad, but necessary.

I think only Ebay can help with this issue at this time. 

I am attaching a video explaining how the Chinese sellers take advantage of the shipping delay to never send out their items to Canada and never get a negative feedback for this  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqHKIOAdVH4

Also a video showing how to get refund for a missing item after the 60 days delay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzuL7wSo4Y

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: China to Canada not arriving? Ebay has a problem and must step in

Open all your disputes as early as possible.

Most Chinese sellers are honest and try to ship your purchases as soon as possible, but look at the calendar.

February was the expected Lunar New Year delay which happens every year. No biggie- slower delivery is normal.

March- coronavirus shuts down one of China's biggest manufacturing towns (just a little town of eleven million people). Nothing was moving.

April- China starts up again, but there are many people still sick or dead and we can only imagine that there is work that is not getting done as a result. And we can assume given their government's track record, that the numbers are greater than those released.

May - the postal system is working at Christmas level but with fewer workers due to illness and social distancing.

That a couple of your sellers are NARU means they were Bad Actors and shut down by eBay.

Start the disputes with eBay if you can, with Paypal if you have passed the eBay deadline.

And of course, do NOT accept an offer of a replacement. It will not arrive either.

If you receive a late shipment that has been refunded, you can repay your seller using Paypal's Send Money service.

We women are raised to be nice and give the benefit of the doubt. But if it's an eBay purchase, the doubt is covered by the window for delivery.  You don't have to, and shouldn't, give any more than that.

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, you are correct the Chinese sellers are honest and the majority of China shipments do arrive. I just noticed a higher number not arriving during this pandemic. 6 of 19 items from 4 sellers haven't arrived and it's been over 3 months with 2 of those sellers NARU.

2 of them are now settled, 1 we are trying to fix and 1 I still haven't done anything yet because I'm wondering if the higher number than usual means they are still stuck somewhere in the shipping line.

But, you are right I can resend the money if a package eventually arrives. I will keep an eye on the 30 day ebay window. Thanks again!
Message 42 of 52
latest reply

I have 11 items not arrived that were shipped on March 3rd 2020. Only one arrive in like 3 weeks from China.

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

The 2020 delivery time for tracked packages via China Post to Canada is averaging around 61.2 days (with an upper limit of 98 days).  Source: track-ChinaPost.com

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

@dj_orka 

Three weeks is no big deal from Asia. Even before the pandemic slowed things down 30 days was normal and Surface Shipping (often offered as FREE shipping) could be three or four months.

What dates does eBay give you for the delivery window? Mark the last date on your calendar. You can open an Item Not Received Dispute after that date.

Message 45 of 52
latest reply

i KNOW.... 3 weeks is actually fast. On a total of 11 package I received 1. That one took 3 weeks. The others now at at a solid 90 days ! so 10/11 packages still not received after 90 days!....
Message 46 of 52
latest reply

The last 3 items that I bought from China have been cancelled by the seller(s).  All 3 (might be the same seller with different IDs) mentionned that starting on May 24th, they were advised by eBay not to ship to Canada until further notice.

I asked eBay if this was true.  Never received an answer other than to avoid buying from Chinese sellers for now...

I sent messages to 2 other Chinese sellers asking if they were shipping to Canada (even tough their listing says "Ship to Canada") and they said no.

I see more and more Chinese sellers with shipping exclusion that now includes Canada.

Not too sure of what is going on.

Willing to buy from Canada instead (when available which is rarely the case with electronics) but not at 2-3-4 times the price that I can get from China.

Message 47 of 52
latest reply

There's an old saying

"You can get it good.

You can get it fast.

You can get it cheap.

But you can only have two of those."

Keep an eye on the last delivery date eBay gave you.

If your items haven't arrived by then, open a Dispute for Not Received in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.
If the item shows up after you have been refunded, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

There have been a few reports on the Boards of Chinese sellers refusing to ship to Canada, and apparently on the advice of China Post.

In the interim, it would seem likely that you will have to buy elsewhere and pay more.

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

@francoism999 wrote:

The last 3 items that I bought from China have been cancelled by the seller(s).  All 3 (might be the same seller with different IDs) mentioned that starting on May 24th, they were advised by eBay not to ship to Canada until further notice.

Does appear to be ebay Chinese advice not to use post office for shipping to Canada.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/eBay-advising-sellers-in-China-not-accept-sales-shipping-...

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

There's an old saying

"You can get it good.

You can get it fast.

You can get it cheap.

But you can only have two of those."

Keep an eye on the last delivery date eBay gave you.

If your items haven't arrived by then, open a Dispute for Not Received in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.
If the item shows up after you have been refunded, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

There have been a few reports on the Boards of Chinese sellers refusing to ship to Canada, and apparently on the advice of China Post.

In the interim, it would seem likely that you will have to buy elsewhere and pay more.

Well I often got it good, fast and cheap at the same time. I do not need to open a dispute since the transaction was cancelled and money refunded.

In the interim, I also have the options of not buying it for now and wait for the situation to subside or simply not buying it at all.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

jeho6598
Community Member

Thanks for great information!  I myself have experienced similar issues.  On a positive note eBay was prompt and issued refund.  I agree that sellers should be honest and disclose where the item is being shipped from.  I have online store and half the time I didn't get orders.  I can no longer count on shipments from China from any platform. EBay has excellent customer service and steps in when necessary. The other platforms like you stated allow long waiting periods and then it is too late to return item. Also you are messaging via bots and not live support that eBay supports. 

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 52 of 52
latest reply