Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: I paid import charges, now can UPS charge more?

Hi everyone, i bought an item today and i'm concerned about the fact i did forgot to tell the seller i wanted usps for a carrier, so he did used  UPS, now that i paid import charges, will UPS rip me again at receival, usually use usps and all goes smooth.

Message 541 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm assuming this is the listing for the snowmobile exhaust to which you're referring.

This item is being shipped through the Global Shipping Program.  There are numerous threads on this board and others about it as well as links to further information on the listing page (provided you're not viewing it on eBay Mobile).

The item likely isn't going to be shipped by UPS beyond Kentucky, where the Global Shipping Center takes over responsibility for delivery.  Reports of GSP shipments suggest that it will then be part of a cargo freight container shipment which will be checked in and broken up for delivery (probably by Canpar or Canada Post) once it reaches the border entry point.  If all goes well, you shouldn't be paying any additional fees at your doorstep.

Don't panic if there's no tracking info on your item beyond Kentucky.  The erratic tracking of GSP items seems to be one of the program's many Achilles' Heels.

Is that enough info or would you like more details?

Message 542 of 6,171
latest reply

Actually this covers pretty much my issue, if issues exist. Thanks

Where can i try to track the package with the GSP?

Message 543 of 6,171
latest reply

My understanding is that you'll be given a link to a tracking site when the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky takes your package on board.

Message 544 of 6,171
latest reply

*sigh*... I wish I could get an update here

Shipped with GSP, last time they saw it was November 2nd.  Declared it "lost" on Nov 15th...
Said they'd issue me a refund, called back they said they had 0 recollection of this.  Uhm, okay?

But since then, the package has updated and shown it's in Canada 

"Electronic information submitted by shipper"

This was on Sunday, Nov 17th.  Yay, it's coming.  Or so I thought...

Now I call GSP and ask why it hasn't moved again in many days and they say "oh yeah no it's still lost, sometimes it'll update but i'm pretty, pretty sure it's lost."

This is the first time I used GSP and it SUCKS SO BAD.  Nobody can tell me where my item is, nobody even cares.  Just "yup, it's lost."  
But why would it update 2 days later and say it's in Canada when it's "lost" ?  and why would they have no recollection of issuing me a refund like they promised?  

I have heard GSP claim things're lost without them actually being lost, just an ignorant CS rep.  But I wonder.

Message 545 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

i was referring to GSP  re-packing a large item into a smaller one

It is fair enough, really, as at that point the GSP has assumed responsibility for the safe arrival of the package undamaged, so it is out of the seller's hands.

Can anyone argue that it is inappropriate for someone responsible for undamaged arrival to repack as they see fit?

They may get it wrong, but this is something that they accept responsibility for explicitly in the terms and conditions.

The issue with that aspect is that while they "accept responsibility" and may be willing to make repayment for damages, some sellers are experts in packing specific classes of items (e.g. antiques) where PBI employees may be versed in "everyday" items only.

Some sellers may use oversized containers with appropriate packaging so that they explicitly could protect the item from damage. Thing is — under current policy, if PBI opens the box and sees that the box would be more expensive for them to ship as-is, they may move it to a smaller box where it is less protected and in the case of irreplaceable antiques, that is a bad thing because often times monetary reimbursement of such items is simply never enough. Say you're buying a 200 year old vase with affirmative documentation on its genuine status, if that vase were to get mishandled/inappropriately repackaged by PBI to make it more economical; during transport it gets destroyed. That's an item that can never again exist gone due to "making economical" the shipping process.

Yeah you can take out insurance, yeah, PBI may take responsibility, but in the face of destruction of rare/irreplacable items, that isn't enough. Prevention Is Necessary. sometimes sellers know more about what parts of an item need support or how many layers of packaging are necessary to ensure safe arrival than PBI.

Even everyday items, people are looking to receive the item, they're not looking to receive a requirement to issue SNAD claims against a seller because PBI failed to consider that sellers may know better in various circumstances.

Once a package enters into PBI's system, all that matters to them is what's the cheapest method to get your package shipped, and if your package takes up "more than is deemed necessary" space on their truck, they'll repackage it so that they can ship other items in the space made. Yeah, the postal system also wants the cheapest route so they can make a profit, but by law they have to respect the integrity of the original packaging, and only repackage if that integrity was damaged in the logistics chain. The only reason PBI can get away with it is because in the GSP contracts there are provisions essentially setting PBI as an "agent" of the buyer.

Again, this is a significant highlight that there are far too many hands in the GSP logistics chain. The more hands a package changes in a logistics chain, the higher the chance of damage and/or destruction of the property. There needs to be a mechanism in the GSP wheras a buyer and seller can elect to prohibit repackaging by PBI except in damage situations (with customs of course having customary access as the law permits)

Message 546 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

i was referring to GSP  re-packing a large item into a smaller one

It is fair enough, really, as at that point the GSP has assumed responsibility for the safe arrival of the package undamaged, so it is out of the seller's hands.

Can anyone argue that it is inappropriate for someone responsible for undamaged arrival to repack as they see fit?

They may get it wrong, but this is something that they accept responsibility for explicitly in the terms and conditions.

I disagree, they are re-packing a box they feel is too big and could be made smaller, they are treading a fine line, by thinking we should open this box because the size of it may mean, there are voids inside allowing the item to move and get damaged.. How do they know how an item is packed tell they open it up.

This is one reason your package is not getting to you as quick as you thought it might..

Message 547 of 6,171
latest reply

Once a package enters into PBI's system, all that matters to them is what's the cheapest method to get your package shipped, and if your package takes up "more than is deemed necessary" space on their truck, they'll repackage it so that they can ship other items in the space made

This has become nonsensical.

No one posting has any idea what the folk in Erlanger get up to, reason tells me it will be as little as possible, and the terms and conditions outline why some attention to packing may be needed (although I think that is there mostly to  cover themselves just in case)

Descriptions of mad parcel monkeys scattering priceless antiques like chaff are hysterical, antiques are not even shippable with the GSP, and posts read more like a script for a revivalist tent meeting than a considered discussion.

The cheapest way to get something shipped is to move it from one inwards bin to one outwards bin as quickly as possible. Dumb and Dumber was not a documentary, the Marx Brothers do not run logistics companies and whoever screams loudest is not automatically right (unless you are in politics).

Get a grip, fellas, lets see the evidence.

Message 548 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Once a package enters into PBI's system, all that matters to them is what's the cheapest method to get your package shipped, and if your package takes up "more than is deemed necessary" space on their truck, they'll repackage it so that they can ship other items in the space made

This has become nonsensical.

No one posting has any idea what the folk in Erlanger get up to, reason tells me it will be as little as possible, and the terms and conditions outline why some attention to packing may be needed (although I think that is there mostly to  cover themselves just in case)

Descriptions of mad parcel monkeys scattering priceless antiques like chaff are hysterical, antiques are not even shippable with the GSP, and posts read more like a script for a revivalist tent meeting than a considered discussion.

The cheapest way to get something shipped is to move it from one inwards bin to one outwards bin as quickly as possible. Dumb and Dumber was not a documentary, the Marx Brothers do not run logistics companies and whoever screams loudest is not automatically right (unless you are in politics).

Get a grip, fellas, lets see the evidence.

READ THIS

The Processing Facility will add professional void fill and/or repackage a commodity, for no additional fee to the seller, if: The original parcel is too large for the commodity – and then a replacement carton will be used of smaller dimensions - 

READ IT TWICE,

they have taken the authority to open packages at will, to make it smaller,why don't  you get this, its black and white, in there own words.

Message 549 of 6,171
latest reply

they have taken the authority to open packages at will, to make it smaller,why don't  you get this, its black and white, in their own words.

They have not taken the authority, is is theirs by contract.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

Users sign up to this contract. I doubt if one in a thousand has read it but they signed up to it.

At that point GSP people are responsible for the safe delivery, not the seller, so it seems fair they can improve the packing if they feel it is needed. They can also make boxes larger if needed. 

I doubt if anyone who  buys on ebay has not had a badly packaged item at some time, not all sellers are competent.

Message 550 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

At that point GSP people are responsible for the safe delivery, not the seller, so it seems fair they can improve the packing if they feel it is needed.

They can also make boxes larger if needed. 

The very last line has become nonsensical.

Message 551 of 6,171
latest reply

Double boxing a single boxed item may be judged expedient, for the safety of the goods. Not nonsensical, just secure packing. You can't say it would not happen.

But you probably will, with no evidence.

Message 552 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Double boxing a single boxed item may be judged expedient, for the safety of the goods. Not nonsensical, just secure packing. You can't say it would not happen.

But you probably will, with no evidence.

making boxes bigger and double boxing are two different things, 

Message 553 of 6,171
latest reply

Why would you care about tracking your purchase?

Tracking protects sellers against phoney non-delivery claims.

Buyers are protected by the Paypal/eBay Buyer Protection Program and by using a credit card with a chargeback program through the PP account.

Message 554 of 6,171
latest reply

Rick - I do not get it.  Are you obsessed about GSP?  Does everything about it need to be wrong?

Why not accept that most Canadian buyers agree the program as currently structured is generally not beneficial to Canadian buyers in most instances.  There is no need to make assumptions about service providers doing things simply to enrich themselves.

Message 555 of 6,171
latest reply

pierrelebel wrote:

Rick - I do not get it.  Are you obsessed about GSP?  Does everything about it need to be wrong?

Why not accept that most Canadian buyers agree the program as currently structured is generally not beneficial to Canadian buyers in most instances.  There is no need to make assumptions about service providers doing things simply to enrich themselves.

Not being at all obsessed This thread is about the Global Shipping Program, did you forget,should we be talking about the weather in China..........

if your a Canadian buyer ,yes in my opinion everything about it is wrong, that is correct.I don't see anything beneficial to this program, and i am not alone. I will never use it because i know without using it,

my way is better,

my way is buying from non-GSP sellers, finding a fair shipping cost, and having it shipped USPS, and whatever happens at the border happens, it a proven method and it works.

You and another seem to want to protect the GSP like a mother protecting her baby, you can use it if you think there is an advantage by using it, i would like to here a review of your experience with it.

Message 556 of 6,171
latest reply

"want to protect the GSP like a mother protecting her baby,"

???

One more time:

Message 557 of 6,171
latest reply

You and another seem to want to protect the GSP like a mother protecting her baby, you can use it if you think there is an advantage by using it, i would like to here a review of your experience with it.

I think it is a terrible idea very badly implemented, and I agree buyers should avoid it, except for those rare occasions with heavy items where it can make sense.

I just object to posts about hypothetical non-problems that simply muddy the waters and make objections to the program look in general like mindless rants instead of reasoned arguments.

The objections are to the death of reason, not support for the GSP.

Message 558 of 6,171
latest reply

I do not buy from anyone using this GPS system, it is over charging and ridiculous. Their loss not mine. It is cheaper for me to buy from the U.K. or China. Canada goes without saying.

Message 559 of 6,171
latest reply

Mine says:

Date Time Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name

2013/11/1714:57VANCOUVERElectronic information submitted by shipper.

Canada Post claims they never got it.  That was the last update I got on it (Sunday).  Will the tracking update on it, or will I receive it without any updates?

It claims they're using Expedited Parcels, and I am located in Vancouver.

Message 560 of 6,171
latest reply