Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

"knowing it is an error, "

There is no error.  And that is the problem. 

Many Canadians do not understand or know that books entering Canada do not benefit from the $20 exemption.

I did not make that up.  For confirmation, please take a look at the official page from the Government of Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Items that do not qualify for the CAN$20 exemption include the following:

• tobacco;
  • books;
  • periodicals;
  • magazines;
  • alcoholic beverages;

Message 5261 of 6,171
latest reply

That's odd, the exact reverse of European practice where books are exempt from VAT type charges. It seems very peculiar that in Canada books are not even allowed the minimal exemption.

Does the Canadian government think the people are quite well educated enough already and more books would only spoil them?

Message 5262 of 6,171
latest reply

" It seems very peculiar that in Canada books are not even allowed the minimal exemption."

It is public policy, established decades ago, to protect a very small and fragile Canadian publishing industry.  This is one area where Canada is very different from most other countries in the world.  Large territory, small population, with a giant (USA) next door.

Message 5263 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

That's odd, the exact reverse of European practice where books are exempt from VAT type charges. It seems very peculiar that in Canada books are not even allowed the minimal exemption.

Does the Canadian government think the people are quite well educated enough already and more books would only spoil them?

The application of the GST to books and periodicals was certainly one of the most controversial aspects of the tax when it was first introduced in the 1991 to (officially, anyway) replace the hidden Manufacturers' Sales Tax.  I don't recall the rationale for applying the GST to books and periodicals, although I do recall that originally the GST was envisioned to apply to more goods and services than it now does.

Anybody else remember these protest stamps?  Pierre, perhaps?  😄

itaxbooks.jpg

This is the only remotely substantive article I was able to come up with on books and the Canadian GST, AF.  You might find it interesting reading, nonetheless:

https://www.cautbulletin.ca/en_article.asp?ArticleID=2492

Message 5264 of 6,171
latest reply

It is much more than tax on books and magazines.  It is a question of protecting an industry.

For example, Canadian businesses advertising in an American magazine cannot deduct the cost of advertising as a business expenses when filing their corporate taxes.  Only advertisements in Canadian publications are eligible for deduction.

Etc... etc...  Difficult for foreigners to understand the need for such protection.

Only in Canada, eh!.

Message 5265 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

It is much more than tax on books and magazines.  It is a question of protecting an industry.

For example, Canadian businesses advertising in an American magazine cannot deduct the cost of advertising as a business expenses when filing their corporate taxes.  Only advertisements in Canadian publications are eligible for deduction.

I think we're approaching this issue a bit differently, Pierre.

My thoughts (such as they are) are based on the fact that books and periodicals sold in Canada and published by all sorts of Canadian and Canadian-based publishers are subject to GST.  Yes, imported publications are subject to this tax as well, but the taxation of domestic publications hardly seems like a protectionist move by the feds.

The Canadian Association of University Teachers article to which I linked goes so far as to mention UNESCO's objection to Canada's application of the "GST tax [sic]" on books.

Message 5266 of 6,171
latest reply

"we're approaching this issue a bit differently"

You are correct.  I am looking at the very big picture which is much more than tax.

If you want to look at tax only, it comes down to protecting the industry.  With the $20 tax exemption on books and magazines, foreign publishers would be allowed to ship into Canada without the buyer having to pay tax.  By removing the $20 exemption, book buyers face the same taxation, whether they buy locally or import the books or magazines.  If nothing else, it helps the Canadian magazine retailers.

Back in 1989, that is a long time ago, I was invited to join the Canadian Tax Institute panel for small business studying a potential VAT to replace the old MFST or FST. Having been involved with manufacturing and imports since the 60's, I was very familiar with both. At the time, opinions were all over the place.  Most businesses agreed that the old taxes had to go and be replaced by a tax levied at the retail level.  It should be "revenue neutral" and not cost the Canadian consumers anymore than the old system.

My personal preference at the time and that of many other businessmen (sorry, in the old days it seems only men were invited - that may explain the mess we're in) was to tax everything consumed within Canada without exemption (but financial services).  That meant taxing baby's milk, prescriptions, rents, basic foods, books, etc... 

Was I crazy?  No.  Taxing everything would have meant a rate of 2% (or less) across the board.  At 2% you minimize tax cheating by the underground economy (not worth it).  The same Tax Credits would be available for low income citizens.

Unfortunately, the government did not see it that way and eventually compromised with a GST rate of 7% with a long list of exemptions.  The GST rate was eventually reduced to 6% then 5% in moves that most Canadian economists think was a mistake - made for political gain.  Most feel an income tax reduction would have been preferable for the economy on the basis it is best to tax where people spend instead of taxing where they earn. 

Message 5267 of 6,171
latest reply

Well, I have to say that if you or Marnotomi ever tire of posting on forums, you certainly have a great career ahead of you in politics.

Rarely have I seen a question answered so well, that at the same time failed to answer the question actually asked.

Fine, apparently I picked a bad example by using 'lets say a used book'; mea culpa.

So, to please your finely nuanced need for exactness, let us open the field to the exact same question as previously asked.

Say on eBay.com I find a 5$ pair of used socks that I love the pattern of, or a 5$ fridge magnet I find highly amusing, or a 5$ pad of stationary that I really like the paper that is used, A postcard of no real monetary value that I want for a collection that costs 5$.

Basically, anything of a low dollar value that normally would be exempt from Canadian import fees and duty, but that though improper listings on part of the American seller in the Global Shipping Program, is assessed some level of import fees anyways that the buyer must pay regardless.

Now, what happens to this fee? It is not returned to the seller, so the only other options that I see are either the fees are forwarded to duty and customs regardless if they are actually applicable or not; which itself leads to the sub-question of why does collection in fees of sometimes close to 100% of the items actual value and also on items that would normally be exempt not flag in anyone system over several years time? Or does Pitney Bowes, with no real motivation or obligation to forward these mistakenly collected funds, decides to keep it as unexpected but certainly welcome bit of additional profit?

Like I had said several times already, I am out the exact same amount in either case, but I am rather interested in knowing exactly who is unduly profiting from the misuses of the Global Shipping Program.

Message 5268 of 6,171
latest reply

"a great career ahead of you in politics."

At 70, I am happily retired, have all the time in the world to post, and do not wish to go into politics.  Thank you.

"5$ pair of used socks that I love the pattern of, or a 5$ fridge magnet I find highly amusing, or a 5$ pad of stationary that I really like the paper that is used"

Those items should NOT be offered through GSP.  At the beginning of the program, eBay suggested a US$50 average to American sellers to use the program because low priced items as you mention do not require the service of a trans-shipper. or consolidator like Pitney Bowes.  These items can and should be shipped by USPS directly to the buyer without any tax or duty levied at time of delivery.

In this regards the program is not buyer friendly to Canadians.  Most posters here have said the same thing for over three years.

"Now, what happens to this fee?"

The fee charged by Pitney Bowes ($4/$5) has nothing to do with taxes or the equivalent $10 charged by Canada Post.  The fee charged by Pitney Bowes is to handle the shipment.  That is why it makes no sense for sellers to use GSP for low priced items.

Message 5269 of 6,171
latest reply

@ryuunosukefujinami wrote:

So, to please your finely nuanced need for exactness, let us open the field to the exact same question as previously asked.

Say on eBay.com I find a 5$ pair of used socks that I love the pattern of, or a 5$ fridge magnet I find highly amusing, or a 5$ pad of stationary that I really like the paper that is used, A postcard of no real monetary value that I want for a collection that costs 5$.

Basically, anything of a low dollar value that normally would be exempt from Canadian import fees and duty, but that though improper listings on part of the American seller in the Global Shipping Program, is assessed some level of import fees anyways that the buyer must pay regardless.

Now, what happens to this fee? It is not returned to the seller, so the only other options that I see are either the fees are forwarded to duty and customs regardless if they are actually applicable or not; which itself leads to the sub-question of why does collection in fees of sometimes close to 100% of the items actual value and also on items that would normally be exempt not flag in anyone system over several years time? Or does Pitney Bowes, with no real motivation or obligation to forward these mistakenly collected funds, decides to keep it as unexpected but certainly welcome bit of additional profit?

Like I had said several times already, I am out the exact same amount in either case, but I am rather interested in knowing exactly who is unduly profiting from the misuses of the Global Shipping Program.

My response to you still stands with a bit more elaboration on the part about processing fees.

Just because a GSP item may not have taxes or duty owing on it doesn't mean that it costs nothing for it to go through customs.  It still has to be processed, classified, documented, and all that pretty stuff.  From what I can make out, carriers such as UPS and FedEx appear willing to eat those costs on the rare occasion they have to process an item worth that little, but on the flip side they charge a lot more than what the GSP does for processing imports that are subject to taxes and duty.

That's what you're paying for in "import charges" for a typical sub-C$20 item sold through the Global Shipping Program, but some buyers may not realize that as those charges are added to the shipping charge.

Message 5270 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm not so certain that they are collecting duty and taxes on books as here are 3 listings that do now show import taxes for a book under $20.

I'm sure that there is a service fee included in the shipping charges with those books as well as to the shipping charge for the  socks etc that you are referring to but that money is not being collected as duty or tax. It is being collected as a service charge for PB fowarding the parcel at their Kentucky depot and forwarding it on to the buyer.

If that is what you are referring to, PB is the one who benefits from that fee. Perhaps ebay gets a percentage, I doubt that anyone here knows that for sure.

You might want to keep in mind too that something as heavy as a book might actually cost less to if shipped through the gsp. For example, a least expensive method to ship a 750 gr book from U.S. to Canada with USPS is now $15.50 U.S.

a 1.5kg book can cost from $25 to $36 U.S. 

The USPS rate have really gone up.

Message 5271 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification Marnotomi.

However it still seems ridiculous that of all companies, Pitney Bowes should be seemingly incapable of understanding or following basic Canadian custom and taxation regulations for items valued under 20$ that they process though their Global Shipping Program (other then the listed exceptions, of course), uselessly and unnecessarily processing these packages though customs anyway.

Of course, I suppose as they are getting a cut of each customs package they do process, I can see why they would be in no hurry to correct this flaw.

I still feel this is a huge scam on Canadian buyers on behalf of eBay and Pitney Bowes, but at least I have a bit of a better understanding now on how I am being screwed over, rather then just knowing I am being screwed over.

Small comforts I guess?

Message 5272 of 6,171
latest reply

" Pitney Bowes should be seemingly incapable of understanding or following basic Canadian custom and taxation regulations for items valued under 20$ "

I do not get it.  Where do you see the problem with Pitney Bowes?

The problem is squarely on sellers using a program they should not use for low value items.

Pitney Bowes does charge a fee to handle the shipment.  It has nothing to do with charging tax.

It charges a fee regardless whether tax is collected or not.

When the program started over three years ago, Pitney Bowes would charge an "import fee" of $4/$5 representing their fee.  Canadian buyers were mad because in their experience with Canada Post, no handling fee was charged if no tax was collected.  Somehow many Canadians had a problem understanding the difference between Pitney Bowes fee and Canada Post fee.

So two years ago Pitney Bowes changed the way they charge their fee (not the fee itself).  If the value of the item was below Cdn$ 20.00, no "import charge" would be shown as such.  That somehow satisfied those that were complaining about an "import charge" on items valued at less than Cdn$ 20.00

However, Pitney Bowes does not work for free. They simply moved their fee into the "shipping charge" whenever the value was less than Cdn$20.00

At the end of the day, most Canadian buyers agree: GSP is not user friendly to Canadian buyers and should be avoided in most instances.

Message 5273 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm not so certain that they are collecting duty and taxes on books as here are 3 listings that do not show import taxes for a book under $20.

Given that the taxes due on a book with a declared value of less than C$20 is going to be less than seventy-five cents US at current exchange rates, I wouldn't be surprised if those are added to the item's shipping price as well.  Or Pitney Bowes may be just eating the tax charge and chalking it up to "variance," which is covered by the non-tax/duty component of the "import charges".  After all, Pitney Bowes does not collect taxes and duties; they pay them and then the buyer reimburses PB (sort of).

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You might want to keep in mind too that something as heavy as a book might actually cost less to if shipped through the gsp. For example, a least expensive method to ship a 750 gr book from U.S. to Canada with USPS is now $15.50 U.S.

a 1.5kg book can cost from $25 to $36 U.S. 

The USPS rate have really gone up.

I think this was discussed in the context of books a year or two back as well.  The price difference is even more apparent if the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States.

Message 5274 of 6,171
latest reply

ryuunosukefujinami wrote:

it still seems ridiculous that of all companies, Pitney Bowes should be seemingly incapable of understanding or following basic Canadian custom and taxation regulations for items valued under 20$ that they process though their Global Shipping Program (other then the listed exceptions, of course), uselessly and unnecessarily processing these packages though customs anyway.

I'm Just as confused as Pierre on this point.  What regulation isn't being followed here?  

Something else to keep in mind is that the "$20 rule" is for postal imports.  GSP items are not shipped to Canada by post.

Message 5275 of 6,171
latest reply

uselessly and unnecessarily processing these packages though customs anyway.

All items are sent as bulk freight, so all have to processed as such. One pallet may contain $300 items mixed with $10 items. There is no way to send the cheaper items seperately and they would still have to be processed if they were.

Message 5276 of 6,171
latest reply

mcint-owe
Community Member

Tracking under the Global Shipping Program is terrible, unless my package has been sitting in Ohio for the last 5 days the package tracking is not accurate and it does not tell you who is shipping your package. Pitney Bowes provides very little info if any on the packages status or what shipping costs are being charged. Also I am from Vancouver BC and the seller is from LA, my package went from LA to Cincinnati to Ohio and from there I am assuming to Canada somehow, this seems like an incredibly inefficient way to ship a package which can only add to the shipping time and costs. From now on I won't buy a package from someone on ebay unless they ship it themselves and add on the shipping charges after they have mailed the package. Not impressed with the Global Shipping Program.

Message 5277 of 6,171
latest reply

Under Eligibility for the Global Shipping Program, Commercial use of the item makes the buyer ineligible for GPS. Since I purchase items to resell here in Canada, that eliminates any item using the GPS shipping from being viable.

And the Terms and conditions of the GPS program, item 5 are laughable. I quote "Optional Services. The Services being offered to you by Pitney Bowes are entirely optional. However, to purchase a GSP Item, you must agree to these Terms. If you do not agree with these Terms, then you should not proceed with the purchase of a GSP Item and may instead purchase an item that is being offered to you outside of GSP. 

What a joke.

Message 5278 of 6,171
latest reply

unless my package has been sitting in Ohio for the last 5 days

If your package went to Ohio, your seller did not use the Global Shipping Program. She may not have been aware that she is even enrolled in the GSP, a lot of sellers were enrolled by default. You may have been her first foreign sale in two years.

GSP items go to Erlanger KY.

It is possible that the seller sent it properly, and USPS has not recorded it since it reached Ohio on its way to Kentucky.

The GSP, like FedEx and UPS (and USPS and Canada Post) uses a 'hub and spoke' system of distribution. There's a good explanation of how it works on Wikipedia. It's counter-intuitive but actually very efficient.

It is also possible that your purchase was just last recorded in OH, but is on its way now.

And remember we just finished the weekend when the mail slows down (although it doesn't actually stop).

or what shipping costs are being charged.

You were told how much you were being charged before you paid. There was your purchase price, the shipping from your seller in LA to KY, Canadian duty if the item was over $20CDN( $14USD) and appropriate HST and GST plus a $5 PB service charge.

There will be no more charged on your doorstep. You are paid in full.

Unless.

If your seller really did ship by USPS, then your purchase will go through Canadian customs and may be charge duty, sales tax, and the Canada Post service charge of $9.95.

And then you will have a job to get your GSP fees back.

I'd start by contacting your seller and confirming that she really did use the GSP and shipped to KY.

I hope she did.

Message 5279 of 6,171
latest reply

Commercial use of the item makes the buyer ineligible for GPS.

You are one of the few resellers who seems to have read and understood that.

I gather that in the long run, the big problem is GST credits as well as import fee credits.

So you can certainly buy from the USA, and even use the GSP, but you will not get an invoice for duty, Canadian sales taxes and the PB service charge/brokerage fee, with a breakdown that is usable for your tax returns.

If the deal is good enough that you and your accountant can just put the GSP fees into general expenses, without trying to claim import fee credits specifically, do it.

But I am not a tax accountant. Your own professional can give you real advice.

Message 5280 of 6,171
latest reply