Does shipping increases when the more you bid? Or does the seller just increases it?

infect_38
Community Member

I'm new to eBay auctions, and I notice that the higher someone bids the shipping increases. There's no import charges. It went to 20 canadian dollar to 40 dollars??  Can someone please explain. Thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Does shipping increases when the more you bid? Or does the seller just increases it?

Is it possible that when you saw the $20 you weren’t signed in and that the amount changed when you signed in with your actual location?  The shipping should not change when you bid and once there is a bid, the seller can’t change the shipping cost or service. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

There are two parts to shipping.

The first is your address.

If you are far from the seller, or in a different country, the cost of shipping will rise.

EBay does not "know" your address until you sign in and bid.

The second is not always in play.

That is the Global Shipping Program.

This is a Seller Protection program available to UK and US sellers, which charges import fees to the buyer before the seller is told to ship.

Again until you bid, the GSP does not "know" your address. Import fees cover duty, Sales Taxes (GST/PST/HST), and a small (~$5) service fee to the GSP.

Either or both can change the shipping costs.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Nope he/she is right. I was signed in watching an auction and the shipping cost started at 74.00 cad, and watched it steadily rise with each bid. I signed in, put in my bids, and shipping is now 157.00cad. It didn’t rectify
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I'm not sure how that wouldo happen but I do know that it isn't possible for a seller to change the shipping cost once a bid has been entered.  What is the item number of the auction that you are referring to?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

204341030867 Have a look
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

That's a gsp listing so the seller doesn't have control of the shipping cost, ebay does. But the shipping should still not change so I'm not sure what to say.  I put it on my watch list so that I can see what happens with the next bid.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
@tranxactionm, are you sure that you’re looking at the shipping charge and not the import charges?
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2019.

The problem with Zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date or unrelated.

In this case, the Global Shipping Program is being phased out in favour of eBay International Shipping (eIS/eISD - there are actually two slightly different programmes).

While GSP includes import fees (duty and sales taxes) in their charges, the newer programmes don't which makes them appear cheaper, until the buyer has to pay those fees before the purchase is handed over.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

GBP 114.87 (approx US $142.04) Expedited Shipping to Canada via eBay's Global Shipping Program

Located in: Sunderland, United Kingdom
Import charges: 
Est. £197.70 Amount confirmed at checkout

Two reasons for variation are possible.
First - foreign exchange. The rate may change daily or even more often and the rate your bank branch offers is not necessarily the most up to date.
The second is that note about "amount confirmed at checkout" which would change with the selling price of the item (which is being auctioned with the top bid constantly changing).

So the shipping cost to YOUR address would be firm in Pounds Sterling, but could vary once converted to loonies.
And the import fees could not be decided until the auction is over but again currency conversion may make for changes.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

There have no new bids so all info is staying the same.  When I looked at it today I had my shipping set to the US instead of Canada by mistake.  I was surprised to see that shipping to the US was GBP77.70 as compared to 114.40GBP to Canada.  That's quite a difference!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

In this case, the Global Shipping Program is being phased out in favour of eBay International Shipping (eIS/eISD - there are actually two slightly different programmes).

It’s not yet happening in the UK, AFAIK.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

You're right. I wrote that part before realizing the location of the seller.

My concern, for fellow sellers since we as Canadians are onlookers, is the return of the 'customs delay' scam, where the buyer does not pick up until they have an Undelivered refund, then pay only the import fees to claim their purchase.

Plus angry feedback when buyers are shocked to learn there will be import fees.

Although I suppose the first will affect eBay not the seller.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@tranxactionm There are new bid(s) on that item and shipping went up exactly 5 GBP.  In some cases they must include the handling charge as the price goes up?   I thought that if there were custom charges, the handling charges went into that, not in the shipping cost.

Custom charges went up as well though that makes sense since the value is higher.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Now@+ C $327.39 Shipping

Import charges
Est. £674.10 (approx. C $1,134.19)
Amount confirmed at checkout Wow…
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Have you asked about this on the eBay UK discussion boards?
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I get the import charges system based on the price. I don’t however understand why shipping keeps on rising, when normally it’s a set amount to pay, for any item above X dollars. Those top tier shipping costs are locked in, and shouldn’t move.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply