Ebay's New Canadian Sales Tax is a scam

twdi_22
Community Member

The only people who should be charging tax on used goods in Canada are businesses. If people are selling their used goods, they are not required to charge tax. The only exception is automobiles. A private sale of an automobile requires tax before you can register that vehicle, but that tax is paid directly to the government by the buyer.

Generally the sale of what is referred to as personal use property is not subject to GST/HST. Personal use property is an item that people own and use for their own personal use. If you sell a used personal use item then the transactions is generally not subject to GST/HST. There are, however, important exceptions to this rule. One relates to the “small supplier” threshold. If the sales of personal use property in a given year exceed $30,000 then you are required to be a GST/HST registrant and you are required to charge and remit GST/HST. The second relates to commercial property. The personal use exemption does not apply to the sale of used commercial property, which is generally always subject to GST/HST.

https://www.northernpolicy.ca/article/tax-implications-of-the-secondhand-economy-4065.asp

Thrift stores, Pawn shops, all of these places are businesses, and must charge tax. They have a GST number these taxes are paid under. If an Ebay seller is doing it as a business, they must be collecting taxes.

Ebay collecting taxes on behalf of the average joe who sells one or two things a year, is extremely shady. There's no business number it's being associated with. What Ebay is doing, is they're collecting taxes, and since there's no business associated with it, they're going to apply those taxes to their own tax debt. Which is as shady as it can get.

I don't buy from Ebay that often, but I was shocked when I went to buy a graphics card from a private seller, and there was tax being charged. Then I noticed their "new policy".

Ebay is dead in Canada.

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: Ebay's New Canadian Sales Tax is a scam

@big_moose24 wrote:

And they do the same thing if I pay shipping that double the value of the item.

Ok, if they didn't do they maybe they would just charge a higher final value fee on the base amount but that still seems more fair... 

They charge it on shipping because people used to list things for like $1 and then charge $100 in shipping to avoid paying fees.

Message 41 of 84
latest reply

fslt40
Community Member

I am new back to eBay and agree, they are ripping buyers and sellers off with the taxes rules.   Definitely not forwarding that tax on my behalf since I am not a business seller and they have no remittance number for me.    And why would I need to charge tax when CRA states, you only need to pay tax if you hit the “small supplier” threshold, which is, If the sales of personal use property in a given year exceed $30,000 then you are required to be a GST/HST registrant and you are required to charge and remit GST/HST.    Otherwise, the only tax charged on PUP,  is capital gain tax if your personal used goods,  sells for over 1000.00 Even then it should only be taxed at 50% for capital gains rule.   Collecting taxes from buyers on all sales of these personal used goods is just wrong.    And the charging sellers fees on the total,  including shipping,  is really an asshat thing to do!   Looking elseware to sell,  to avoid the CRA, eBay and Canada Post greed.   

Message 42 of 84
latest reply

Tax laws are not based on whether a platform offers better services than another.  They are based on what the money transactions are.  eBay is breaking the law by charging buyers taxes on items under 1000. , that they shouldn't be paying taxes on!  If I sell my old shoes to someone at a garage sale or on marketplace, CRA says I don't have to collect taxes on them. (as long as i don't do more than $30,000 in a year) Yet if sell them shoes on eBay.. taxes need to be paid by buyer and tax money goes where... to eBay .  Just wrong! 

Message 43 of 84
latest reply

Like we don't know that... go away!

Message 44 of 84
latest reply

and just how many times does one have to explain that This isn't about eBay..this is Canadian Law...it is required by Canadian Law that eBay collect and remit the taxes to the taxation departments of the provinces...that tax money DOES NOT stay with eBay/is NOT kept by eBay; albeit perhaps a percentage is rretained for the work process involved...nonethe collecting these taxes isn't eBay's doing this is the LAW! ...BTW this also is a requirement for other selling sites such as Amazon,Etsy,etc,etc.

FB Marketplace is NOT a marketplace facillitator with a payment processor that requires buyers to make payments through the site so at this time FB Marketplace is not required to collect taxes.

"Just wrong! " >>>and why? just because you don't like it? 

Fact and truth...it is what it is...

C'est la vie!

Que sera, sera!

Message 45 of 84
latest reply

@fslt40 wrote:

I am new back to eBay and agree, they are ripping buyers and sellers off with the taxes rules.   Definitely not forwarding that tax on my behalf since I am not a business seller and they have no remittance number for me.    And why would I need to charge tax when CRA states, you only need to pay tax if you hit the “small supplier” threshold, which is, If the sales of personal use property in a given year exceed $30,000 then you are required to be a GST/HST registrant and you are required to charge and remit GST/HST. 

You're not charging the tax.  eBay is.  eBay is forwarding tax on behalf of sellers who are already GST/HST registered.  In your case, it's a bit different, but since eBay is a venue where sales taxes are collected and remitted and it's the venue charging and collecting a time, you'd have to figure out some way to do this yourself if eBay didn't do it "on your behalf." 

@fslt40 wrote:

Otherwise, the only tax charged on PUP,  is capital gain tax if your personal used goods,  sells for over 1000.00 Even then it should only be taxed at 50% for capital gains rule.   Collecting taxes from buyers on all sales of these personal used goods is just wrong.    And the charging sellers fees on the total,  including shipping,  is really an asshat thing to do!   Looking elseware to sell,  to avoid the CRA, eBay and Canada Post greed.   

Think of it this way, if you placed your goods with a consignment store for the store to sell on your behalf, they'd be subject to taxes, too, if the store were GST/HST registered.  Even if they were "personal used goods."  As soon as you start involving another party in the sale of your goods, the game changes and it's no longer a pure peer-to-peer sale.  eBay 2022 is a far cry from what it was in 1999 when there was a lot more independence afforded to sellers.  It's no longer an "online garage sale," either.

@fslt40 wrote:

eBay is breaking the law by charging buyers taxes on items under 1000. , that they shouldn't be paying taxes on!  If I sell my old shoes to someone at a garage sale or on marketplace, CRA says I don't have to collect taxes on them. (as long as i don't do more than $30,000 in a year) Yet if sell them shoes on eBay.. taxes need to be paid by buyer and tax money goes where... to eBay .  Just wrong! 

I'm not sure what part of the recently enacted law involving the taxation of transactions (note this distinction) on digital marketplaces is being broken here.  From what I've seen of the legislation, there's nothing about dollar limits on sales conducted on Canadian digital marketplaces to Canadian buyers.

Speaking of tax legislation, similar legislation has been in place for the past two to three years in jurisdictions such as the United States (Remember the squabbles about "Internet Tax?"), Australia, the European Union and European countries not part of the union, the big difference being that on digital marketplaces (or marketplace facilitators, as they're often referred to in the US) have to charge and remit taxes on sales where the seller is outside of the buyer's country as well as within.  This hasn't taken effect in Canada yet, but I suspect it will sometime in the future.  I'm wondering if the Global Shipping Program as we know it is being wound down in part because of these changes in VAT collection for international transactions.

Message 46 of 84
latest reply

I don't use ebay much anymore (shipping be alone generally kills the deal). But, I just got dinged with taxes from an Ontario seller who was selling some old stuff...it was low value, $36 with shipping being half the cost, but I wasn't expecting taxes which took it to over $40, and turns out, neither was the seller who also doesn't use ebay much - being just a private individual clearing out some stuff.

Well, lucky for me the seller was a good honest person, who offered to cancel and refund which I took.

I for one am done with ebay. As mentioned, I don't use it much anymore anyway, but this is the straw that breaks the camel's back

Message 47 of 84
latest reply

This is NOT about eBay...no point in blaming eBay for A Canadian Government Taxation process that encompasses all the large selling sites>eBay,Etsy,Amazon,etc. Sellers and buyers alike need to learn about Canadian Taxation laws that cover internet sales> no different than purchasing USED goods from second hand retail outlets. Ignorance is not an excuse. Blaming eBay is not an excuse.The blame lies on the shoulders of sellers/buyers who do not know their own Canadian taxation laws.

Message 48 of 84
latest reply

Thank the dominion voting machines for this

Message 49 of 84
latest reply

I get a lot of my stock from thrift stores-- secondhand book and the like.

The stores charge sales taxes.

thrift store receipt 1.jpeg

Message 50 of 84
latest reply

and you really think another Government would not have done same? Canada follows USA in many aspects and with the USA states' implementation of their "internet tax" was just something that Canada along with all those other countries that have implemented similar taxations, has seen as another avenue where taxation needed to be addressed.

Message 51 of 84
latest reply

This actually puts legitimate CRA registered business at a disadvantage and it should be the buyers choice to deal with a registered business or buy used goods peer to peer where the full value of the item was already taxed.
Message 52 of 84
latest reply

@rrandomroyalty wrote:
This actually puts legitimate CRA registered business at a disadvantage and it should be the buyers choice to deal with a registered business or buy used goods peer to peer where the full value of the item was already taxed.

How do you figure that? CRA registered businesses are no longer at a tax disadvantage, but can claim tax on shipping / purchases / fees where unregistered people cannot. If anything, this seems to give CRA registered businesses an advantage.

As far as whether or not it should be done, that wasn't ebay's decision. That's something you'll have to take up with the CRA / your local MP or MLA.

Message 53 of 84
latest reply

I went into selling preferences and posted my sellers tax rate as 0.00.  for my Province location.  Now I'll see if the proper sales tax is actually charged (which should be zero).  TY for your post and quoting the regulations for small people like us!

Message 54 of 84
latest reply

It has nothing to do with your location or if you are a big or small seller.  If any Canadian seller  sells to a Canadian buyer ebay is required to collect tax from that buyer based on the buyers location.   It's been the law for a while now.

Message 55 of 84
latest reply

You set your selling preferences to your hearts contenet....

All transactions are taxed as are Sales (except bullion .9999% Gold Silver), all of them...

Message 56 of 84
latest reply

EBay charges our customers sales taxes on the sale (the action not the item).

We pay eBay a fee for assessing, collecting, and remitting those taxes to the appropriate governments , all fourteen of them in Canada, over fifty in theUSA, and don't get me started on the EU and VAT.

Message 57 of 84
latest reply

@jsmclean59 wrote:

I went into selling preferences and posted my sellers tax rate as 0.00.  for my Province location.  Now I'll see if the proper sales tax is actually charged (which should be zero).  TY for your post and quoting the regulations for small people like us!

It's unfortunate that you didn't follow the thread further to find out that the regulations that the original poster posted had nothing to do with online sales made through a digital marketplace such as eBay.  It's the marketplace charging, collecting, and remitting the tax, not the small people.

Message 58 of 84
latest reply

I assumed that if eBay was doing this on our behalf, there needed to be an "agent election" agreement in place i.e. the GST506 form.
Did any of you fill one of these out with eBay ? I did not.

I understood they were forced to collect since July 2022, but they sent that amount to me in the payout schedule. 
I don't understand how eBay can send a tax authority any collection on our behalf without an official election place.

Honest question, how can you account for the amount sent to the government by eBay when you file without this?

Message 59 of 84
latest reply

@low_flite wrote:

I assumed that if eBay was doing this on our behalf, there needed to be an "agent election" agreement in place i.e. the GST506 form.
Did any of you fill one of these out with eBay ? I did not.

I understood they were forced to collect since July 2022, but they sent that amount to me in the payout schedule. 
I don't understand how eBay can send a tax authority any collection on our behalf without an official election place.

Honest question, how can you account for the amount sent to the government by eBay when you file without this?

I think this is only required if you are registered for GST collection. Those of use that had that number inputed were asked to fill out an election form when the changeover happened. That form was counter-signed by eBay and we received a copy of it. I did anyway.

I don't know what happens with sellers who became registered after that time though.

Message 60 of 84
latest reply