GSP is an abomination for Canadian buyers

wwgerber
Community Member

twice ive bought on ebay in the last year (not often anymore since its went down hill) and this new GSP is is the nail in the coffin for me, will not purchase anything from users selling using the GSP anymore.

fees and shipping are higher than they should be, brokerage on items that are under the 20$ CAD amounts, and the shipping is terrible... cant even find what carrier they are using here in Canada to track. 

and it seems to add around 1 week of shipping to the order

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: GSP is an abomination for Canadian buyers

marnotom!
Community Member

This nail was first driven into eBay's coffin over four years ago and this site still seems to be lumbering along despite the nail now turning rusty.

It's important to keep in mind that the Global "Shipping" Program is actually more of a glorified forwarding service.  The seller ships the item to a central-ish location in Kentucky, and the item gets shipped out to Canada (usually Mississauga) from there.

If you need confirmation that you haven't received your item yet, you can track it online at https://parceltracking.pb.com/.

As with any shipping service, it's not going to be a perfect fit for every single item available on eBay.  (Express Parcel service is a lousy way to ship postcards, but people don't usually say that's the fault of Express Parcel.)  What I think is often happening is that the program is being automatically applied by eBay to listings where sellers haven't provided international shipping options but also haven't blocked bids or purchases from users without US shipping addresses.

The way I see it, many items where the GSP is being used inappropriately are being offered by sellers who, in the "old days", would need to be convinced to ship to Canada.  If they refused to ship to Canada, you'd have to work out how to get your item sent to a US address and sent to Canada from there.  The GSP is pretty much doing the same thing, although possibly at a higher cost because its shipping costs are generally structured to be comparable to parcel post, not oversized letter mail (First Class International / Small Packet).

You're still free to set up a US shipping address and deal with forwarding items yourself if you find a GSP listing where the seller doesn't know that they're opted into the program or doesn't want to leave the perceived safety of the program and refuses to relist the item to accommodate you as a result.

As for your observation that the item is charging "brokerage" for items valued under C$20, keep in mind items have to clear customs regardless of their value.  In the early days of the GSP, those "import charges" were for everyone to see, but too many eBay users seemed to be confused about why they were being charged.  They're now folded into the shipping charge instead.

If you're still seeing items with selling prices of C$20 with "import charges" applied to them, either eBay is experimenting with having those charges show up on listings again, or else they're in categories where the items don't have the C$20 exemption, such as books.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I have often asked US sellers to ship items under $20.00 through USPS and many will.  But I do find the GSP for higher priced items to be useful.  The shipping is not that out of line and other then a few days lost in shipping I never have to worry about duties or GST etc.  The seller gets a slight discount on the shipping and so do we as it does not come via courier.  I can remember all those problems with FED EX and UPS adding large customs clearing fees.  By far this system while not perfect has proven to be successful on many items I order.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

From the point of view of the US seller, there is a lot of work to do to change a GSP enabled listing to a sensible one with USPS First Class International Parcel.

And the cost to the Canadian buyer is not much lower:

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/ShapeAndSize?country=10440&ccode=AE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=1...

Add to that, many sellers using the GSP are basically paranoid about any sale outside the lower 48 (and APO addresses "I won't ship to you soldier but thank you for your service.") or are new to eBay and were coopted into the program.

It's a badly designed, badly explained, and badly executed program.

That being said, I have now purchased two items through GSP and both went smoothly-- even though they did repack a  30x20x1cm book into a 36x24x4 box.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply