Global Shipping Program - The Black Hole

Why is it that the Global Shipping Program and Pitney Bowes ship is such a disaster.  As soon as the parcel hits the Global Shipping Centres there is zero tracking information provided.  I have a package that shows zero updates for the last 7 calendar days.  Ebay customer support is zero help, Pitney Bowes is zero help, the seller is zero help and I see nothing but complaints online about this program yet Ebay just continues to use this horrible program.  I see no value in using this **bleep**py shipping program with a company that makes photo copiers.  LOL what a complete joke.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So out of the blue I get an email from Intelcom saying they are delivering the package and hour later it was marked as delivered. With picture proof. Such a shame no one could plan to be home and unfortunately it fell victim to porch thieves who I am sure will enjoy the mystery gift. My wife could have stayed home but by the time she came home it was gone. Having hardly any advance warning made knowing to be home difficult.

Of course I lost more CDN $ because of the PayPal conversion fees. So now I am out a total of $150 of real Canadian money on 3 transactions lbecause PayPal skims every transaction no matter the problem. It’s the buyers fault apparently.

So on top of all the losses now I need to order a replacement product and wait another month.

The funniest part of all this is that Ebay claims the package was damaged in transit and returned to the seller yet I have a picture of package on my front porch at 12:42pm. I was really looking forward to the part.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

marnotom!
Community Member

Why is it important to know where your item is at every step of the way?

I used to be a tracking geek that kept close tabs on my tracked purchases until I realized that checking the tracking information once or twice daily didn't make any sort of difference to how long it took the item to reach me or the condition in which it reached me.  Items arrive when they arrive.

What I generally do now is make a note of the first or last estimated delivery date and check the tracking if the item hasn't arrived by then.  My purchases are ones that are covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee so I know that if they haven't arrived by that last estimated delivery date, I can make a claim with eBay and get a refund.  Since we're living in "COVID times," I'd allow a bit of extra time to be on the safe side.

I have yet to make a Money Back Guarantee claim for an item forwarded through the Global Shipping Program.

Postscript: If you're checking the tracking through "My eBay," and it's really imperative that you know the time and location of your item's last scan, have your "UPAA" tracking code ready and try one or both of Pitney Bowes' tracking sites instead:

https://parceltracking.pb.com OR https://tracking.pb.com 

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

The GSP is a Seller Protection program and basically works as a freight forwarder which does some customs pre-clearance for CBSA.

Since we see your question a couple of times a month (not all that often when we consider how many parcels are being handled by the GSP)

Unison worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
I found this thread today while awaiting a shipment. Once I learned that Pitney Bowes was the relevant company, I was able to find my package's tracking info in about 10 seconds.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

not making excuses for them, but its a simple infrastructure issue thats created problems for postal services since the dawn of the pandemic: these systems were not designed for the volume they are experiencing and so many more items are getting gummed up on their way thru the system that ever before, because there are so many more items passing thru the system than ever before.  

I dont use GSP unless I absolutely have to because the shipping fees are so ridiculous but thats your problem explained in a nutshell.  They werent prepared for the onslaught of packages, it has overwhelmed their ability to handle them all, and they are experiencing many many problems trying to come to terms with this as a result.   The bottom line from what I see as a seller throughout all of this is that despite the system failures stuff is mostly getting delivered fairly unencumbered even if tracking has failed and stuff isnt getting scanned.  The only thing you can do is take a couple deep breaths, read and re-read the previous sentence I wrote, and remain patient.   Expecting the system to work the way it did pre pandemic is a bad idea and sets people up for disappointment. The faster people can wrap their head around this concept the better everything will go.  

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Hi there.  I have tried using Pitney Bowes tracking system and it does have the link to Purolator and when I click on the link it says package information not found.  So there seems to be a complete disconnect and zero updates provided on the tracking of my package since March 12.  That is 9 days ago it cleared customs and then goes into a black hole.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Every other carrier I have used over the last year has been able to provide up to date tracking of parcels sent to me from anywhere in Canada or from the US regardless of pandemic or no pandemic.  It's just a convenient excuse.  I have been working on restoring an old bronco and have sourced parts from all over the US.  It is only the global shipping program with Pitney Bowes where items fall off into a black hole devoid on any tracking information.  Yes there has been increased shipping demand which has slowed down delivery times but I have never experienced packages not being able to track a shipment.  It is incredibly frustrating.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Nope the Pitney Bowes tracking does not work.  It doesn't link to the real carrier.  There are no updates since March 12 which was nine days ago.  None of the tracking#'s provide any relevant details.  I have exhausted all efforts in tracking the parcel.  The seller cannot track it, ebay cannot track the parcel and neither can Pitney Bowes.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@cleaninghouseinc wrote:

Every other carrier I have used over the last year has been able to provide up to date tracking of parcels sent to me from anywhere in Canada or from the US regardless of pandemic or no pandemic.  It's just a convenient excuse. 

But here's the thing: The Global Shipping Program isn't a carrier.  It's a forwarding service and an extensive network of freight forwarders, logistics companies and local/regional carriers.  It doesn't do any shipping itself and relies on information and services from other carriers.  Items forwarded through the GSP are handled by at least three different carriers:  The seller's choice of carrier to get the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky, a freight forwarder to get the item to a hub in Canada, and a carrier to get the item from the hub to the buyer.  Depending on the nature of the item and its destination, it may see more carriers than that.

Consider that there are many different services available for sellers to use to ship their items to Kentucky and about a hundred different countries' worth of regional carriers to deal with, all with different databases and different data-management systems that need to integrate with Pitney Bowes' system.  Now consider what happens when those systems trying to convert data into something the Pitney Bowes' system can use and those systems are overloaded thanks to a pandemic-inspired buying spree.

@cleaninghouseinc wrote:

I have been working on restoring an old bronco and have sourced parts from all over the US.  It is only the global shipping program with Pitney Bowes where items fall off into a black hole devoid on any tracking information.  Yes there has been increased shipping demand which has slowed down delivery times but I have never experienced packages not being able to track a shipment.  It is incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad you have something to keep you busy during the pandemic, but I'm still not sure why you need to know where your item is every step of the way.  The conclusion I came to ages ago was that either you have your item or you don't and tracking or lackthereof doesn't change that.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Are you a paid agent for Ebay and the global shipping program? I see your posts everywhere looks like cut and paste response.

I paid for shipping and I expect tracking. The pandemic is no excuse. The rest of the companies shipping are able to deal with it. I want someone to be home when the package arrives. If no one can explain where it is then there is a problem plain and simple. Off the radar for TEN days now. Likely to be stolen and then I will have to wait another month replacement parts.
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@cleaninghouseinc wrote:

Are you a paid agent for Ebay and the global shipping program? I see your posts everywhere looks like cut and paste response.

I paid for shipping and I expect tracking. The pandemic is no excuse. The rest of the companies shipping are able to deal with it. I want someone to be home when the package arrives. If no one can explain where it is then there is a problem plain and simple. Off the radar for TEN days now. Likely to be stolen and then I will have to wait another month replacement parts.

Your posts on this are becoming numerous, too, but I don't think you're a schill hired by a rival eCommerce website.

Look, I get it.  You purchased an expensive and what's likely difficult to obtain part for your project vehicle.  You're nervous about its safe arrival.  Who in your shoes wouldn't be? But focussing on the tracking isn't doing you any favours.  What if the tracking showed that your item was misdirected to Fort Providence in the Northwest Territories and destroyed when a polar bear attacked the delivery worker?  You still wouldn't have your item and you'd have to take steps to recover your funds and repurchase it.

How close is it to the last estimated date of delivery?

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Intelcom emailed this morning and apparently delivered to my front porch at 12:42pm. Came home and nothing there. Oh well. My wife could have stayed home today to receive it but I guess I will wait to file a claim in two weeks because that is what EBay and PB’s super intelligent shipping program says for me to do because in their disconnected system it isn’t linked to the real carrier’s tracking system. Shows latest arrival of April 3. Great job Ebay and PB. #sarcasm
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Intellicom usually takes a photo of delivery proof. If there is one of your porch, it was stolen. If there's no photo, or if it's of someone else's porch, contact intellicom to report a misdelivery. Either way, you won't be able to file an INR with ebay if the package is listed as "delivered".

I've been using the GSP for several months now, and all I gotta say is,  i can't wait for the borders to open back up so i can ship to my trusted pick up place in the US by the border. To me, GSP is worse than lettermail... it's not tracked all the way, it's waaaay slower, and they open up your packages! Ugggghhh

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

So out of the blue I get an email from Intelcom saying they are delivering the package and hour later it was marked as delivered. With picture proof. Such a shame no one could plan to be home and unfortunately it fell victim to porch thieves who I am sure will enjoy the mystery gift. My wife could have stayed home but by the time she came home it was gone. Having hardly any advance warning made knowing to be home difficult.

Of course I lost more CDN $ because of the PayPal conversion fees. So now I am out a total of $150 of real Canadian money on 3 transactions lbecause PayPal skims every transaction no matter the problem. It’s the buyers fault apparently.

So on top of all the losses now I need to order a replacement product and wait another month.

The funniest part of all this is that Ebay claims the package was damaged in transit and returned to the seller yet I have a picture of package on my front porch at 12:42pm. I was really looking forward to the part.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Are you sure this was your part that got delivered? Is this your first shipment handled by Intelcom?
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@cleaninghouseinc wrote:
Intelcom emailed this morning and apparently delivered to my front porch at 12:42pm. Came home and nothing there. Oh well. My wife could have stayed home today to receive it but I guess I will wait to file a claim in two weeks because that is what EBay and PB’s super intelligent shipping program says for me to do because in their disconnected system it isn’t linked to the real carrier’s tracking system. Shows latest arrival of April 3. Great job Ebay and PB. #sarcasm

How detailed was the final tracking log from Intelcom? Was there ever a line...Scheduled for delivery? Are you able to sign up for tracking updates? From my past experience it was limited but have not accessed in awhile.

-Lotz

tyler@ebay 

I'm not sure why eBay does not see these numerous posts as a systemic problem for buyers and also for seller involved for that matter using GSP? (The reverse perspective is reported by sellers on dot com on a just as regular basis trying to follow up for their buyers.)

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

I see a lot of people defending the GSP but they’ve clearly never had to endure their product sitting at USPS for 3 days because they are closed on weekends. Then there’s the fact that it goes from the west, all the way east to come into Canada on the wrong side of the country. Of course add the inordinate amount of time it sits at the GSP partner with a tracking number attached. 3 days now. If this is like the last 3 times I’ve been forced to endure this program, it will sit there until at least next Monday. (It’s Wednesday today) The whole week wasted. I read another thread in this forum where it was all blamed on a postal strike in Canada years ago. Well so far, it hasn’t made it to the boarder so don’t try blaming border services. This package originated in Glendale CA. I order another package direct from a business in San Diego later the same day I ordered this item. The San Diego package (about the same size and via regular mail) arrived this morning. If sellers want to keep making money on EBay then EBay needs to fix this or buyers just won’t come. I only buy used on eBay now because Amazon international shipping does not have this problem. Ok there you have it. This was likely a total waste of text so let the haters and the Ebay staff shoot me down.
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

If a buyer has endured an unhappy experienced with USA sellers using said shipping programs, why would a buyer continue to purchase from sellers who use these shipping programs & take the risk of a repeat said experience? Sorry, but how does one expect sympathy for buyers who continue to purchase from sellers who use these shipping programs and then rant & complain about their continuing unhappy experiences?

NO buyer is "forced to endure this program"...

It's the buyer's choice from whom to purchase items...Buyers have the choice to refuse to purchase from a seller who uses these shipping systems/programs...

Buyers CAN say NO!

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

Maybe because like me, I needed a special part and the only place that had it was a USA seller. I tried to get him to ship direct, but he said ebay doesn’t allow that. He would have no seller protection. I don’t believe that is correct but when you read stuff on eBay it almost sounds like that’s true. I think it’s shameful to put the eBay shipping problem onto the seller like you have done. The problem is with eBay. Not with the buyer and certainly not with the seller. Some sellers have never experienced this nonsense. You wanna blame them for buying on eBay too!!!
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@baxterdmutt wrote:

I see a lot of people defending the GSP but they’ve clearly never had to endure their product sitting at USPS for 3 days because they are closed on weekends. Then there’s the fact that it goes from the west, all the way east to come into Canada on the wrong side of the country.

The now-defunct GSP and its successor “eBay International Shipping” catch a lot of misdirected flack from buyers who don’t understand why these forwarding services work the way they do. For example, if your description of a three-day delay on USPS’s part is accurate, the item wouldn’t have even been in the GSP’s or eIS’s possession at that point.

A possible way out of having eIS handle the forwarding of your items to western Canada is to enlist the services of a package forwarding service based in the western US. (Oregon is a good choice of location as it has no sales tax to apply to your purchases.) That way, your items will just have to head north after the forwarder receives them. The downside of this solution is that you’d be giving up most if not all your buyer protections through the eBay Money Back Guarantee, so if your item is lost or damaged on the forwarder’s watch, you’d have to deal directly with them for compensation.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

I'm a reformed sinner. I used to complain constantly about Global Shipping until I realised things could be worse. And now they are. I used to rail against what to me were vaguely calculated "import charges" but they're nothing compared to provincial and federal tax + $9.95 for handling + occasional duty on just about anything worth more than $20. And the delivery times are no better. On every item I think of buying from the US that isn't sent by GPS I add 12% + $9.95 before making a decision.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply