I don't understand how Canadian seller(mailing address in Canada) sell items in US Currency.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I don't understand how Canadian seller(mailing address in Canada) sell items in US Currency.BS!!

Somehow I don't think you quite understand the workings of eBay's global selling sites...

A seller can sell on any eBay site and each eBay selling site has its own country's currency...If a Canadian seller chooses to list on the U.S.A. site or the U.K. site those listings would be listed in that country's currency. A seller who is listing on these other eBay sites must also abide by the rules, policies of those said sites.

It's a seller's choice as to which eBay site they choose to list on...

eBay is a global site whereby sellers have choices...

apparently you don't appreciate the value of seller's having choices...

and apparently you don't like the fact that seller's have choices as to their shipping methods...

and apparently you don't  like the fact that seller's have this freedom to set their item prices, their shipping methods, the eBay site on which they list their items,...because your choices for buying are limited because you don't want to pay the price?

Your buying power is limited because that is YOUR choice!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: I don't understand how Canadian seller(mailing address in Canada) sell items in US Currency.BS!!

Here's one Pacificauctionslimited selling address Surrey BC Canada

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

it's called selling on .COM, (the USA eBay site) where currency is USD!

until earlier this year, I listed items on both .COM and.CA..but now only .CA...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Once upon a time, there was only eBay.com and listing in any other currency than US dollars was impossible.  Some longtime sellers feel that's the best way to conduct business as most of their sales are from the US and most international buyers understand the US dollar better than the Canadian dollar, even with approximately converted amounts on the listing page.

Would you prefer to pay C$14 for your item instead of US$10?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

$14 CAD... It's cheaper, given the excange rate offerings are typically lower than established by the Bank of Canada.

PayPal ripped me royally last week with a 4 cent difference on the dollar.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

$14 CAD... It's cheaper, given the excange rate offerings are typically lower than established by the Bank of Canada.

PayPal ripped me royally last week with a 4 cent difference on the dollar.

Actually, my conversions were taking into consideration the mark-up most financial institutions have on currency exchange.  It's my understanding that it's money markets that determine exchange rates, not the Bank of Canada, and that there's a "buy" and "sell" rate which are quite different.  What exchange rate are you using to compare what PayPal uses?  There's not just "one" exchange rate out there.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

On review it was a 3.3 cent difference.

Canada's central bank, the Bank of Canada's posted rate late Nov 15 was 0.752

PayPal's exchange rate was 0.7199 on Nov 15.

I should've looked for simlilarly lower rate to compare and make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

My main credit union currently has a seven-cent spread between the "buy" and "sell" rate for US dollars.  The Bank of Canada's posted rate isn't either one of those; it's more likely a mid-market rate.  A 3.3 cent difference between the mid-market rate and PayPal's rate doesn't strike me as being that different than what my credit union is doing.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Buy or Sell?
Today https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD shows the loonie at $0.74 US and the USD at $1.34 loonies.

This site shows the mid-market rate. Mostly used for multi-million unit purchases and sales between banks.

The Royal Bank shows the loonie at $0.723 USD if selling but the USD is $1.303 if buying. https://online.royalbank.com/cgi-bin/tools/foreign-exchange-calculator/start.cgi

These are the retail rates we pay at the counter.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@darcimayer-0 

Many Canadian sellers list on the US site (eBay dotCOM).

When we do, a Canadian searching on dotCA will see prices in loonies, but on the actual listing the price will show in both loonies and USD.

The USD price is what the buyer will pay. To confuse the issue, the Canadian seller will receive payment in loonies*.

We do this because the USA is the world's largest single economy and while most of the world understands the US dollar is understood around the world, many Americans understand no other currency.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I like to Bid on items it's fair and competative(as shut'in) The only auctions as Canadian buyer that can participate in are very few(not good) This leaves many item at fair price out of my reach only by one thing.GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM!!!!(maybe 2) Over inflated shipping cost of sellers who make more monies off shipping than item being sold(fact)! One more thing is these sellers not dealing in there Countries Currency,This should be banned from ebay! Example: A seller from Mexico(peso) is selling in euro!Go Figure!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Somehow I don't think you quite understand the workings of eBay's global selling sites...

A seller can sell on any eBay site and each eBay selling site has its own country's currency...If a Canadian seller chooses to list on the U.S.A. site or the U.K. site those listings would be listed in that country's currency. A seller who is listing on these other eBay sites must also abide by the rules, policies of those said sites.

It's a seller's choice as to which eBay site they choose to list on...

eBay is a global site whereby sellers have choices...

apparently you don't appreciate the value of seller's having choices...

and apparently you don't like the fact that seller's have choices as to their shipping methods...

and apparently you don't  like the fact that seller's have this freedom to set their item prices, their shipping methods, the eBay site on which they list their items,...because your choices for buying are limited because you don't want to pay the price?

Your buying power is limited because that is YOUR choice!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@darcimayer-0 

The GSP fee that you see includes their shipping cost, Canadian duty if the item is over $150Cdn  and Canadian sales taxes if the item is over $40Cdn. These would be charged in any case by Canada Post on you doorstep if it were not charged in advance.

The only difference is that the GSP service fee is ~$5USD while the Canada Post service charge is $9.95Cdn.

You may also find it useful to see the actual current USPS shipping costs.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Buying in a higher currency in Canada does limit my choice.

I don't go shopping grocery store in Canada and have to pay in U$,BP or

euro.So if you are located or ship out in a Canadian postal code sell C$

Apparently!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

you can't compare apples to oranges...your references are way off...we are talking about eBay USA site that requires listings in USD, eBay Canada site requires listings in CDN, eBay U.K. site requires listings in British currency, etc,etc...and if  Canadian sellers choose to list on the USA eBay site they are required to list in USD.

It's about the location of the selling site, not the location of the seller or the buyer... and it's that country's rules & policies. Many sellers list on other sites besides eBay, including myself and if that selling site is a USA selling site I am obliged to list my items in USD and if a Canadian buyer purchases an item from me, that buyer is obligated to pay for their purchases in USD, UNLESS, the buyer contacts the seller to request the ability to pay in CDN...and of course, the seller is under no obligation to offer that...

and apparently you still have a problem with that...

it is what it is accept,adapt, adjust,and carry on OR move on!

C'est la vie!

Que sera, sera!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply