My experience as a buyer and Ebay's Global Shipping Program and a selfish Seller.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I just want to share my experience with a Seller and Ebay's (money-grabbing) Global Shipping Program.   While I understand that this is a service to the selling community, it is a cash-grab for Buyers and I now got proof of the vast difference in mailing costs.

I recently purchased an item from a Seller in the UK.  The Global Shipping Program charged me GBP 30.62 for shipping and import charges.  And, the seller charged me a further GBP 3.45 for his local shipping charge to send the item to Pitney Bowes shipping center.  All of this is fine by me as I have accounted for these amounts before I decided to buy this item.

After a few days, Seller sends me a message asking for GBP 14 for mailing costs.  I was surprised.  After a few email exchanges, I realized that the Seller didn't realize he was enrolled in Ebay's Global Shipping Program.  He thinks I am trying to avoid paying him the GBP 14 he spent for the mailing cost. He even sent me photos of the mailing receipt for my package.   I tried to explain to him what the Global Shipping Program is all about even if, as a Buyer, I totally despise it.  He seems to be stubborn and still does not understand how this program works and he does not accept the fact that he's enrolled in this secret covert program that does not send him the money for mailing costs.   He thinks I am pulling his leg.

I have taken the initiative to contact Ebay Customer Service from my end to find out how I can get the money that the Global Shipping  Program.  I was told that the Buyer would need to make that request from his end.  I again went back to the Buyer pleading him to make a quick call to Ebay's Customer Service Centre to instruct them to send me back my money so I can pay him his GBP 14.  I also told him that I need the money back so I can pay for import charges once the package arrives at my door.

Lo and behold, the Seller all of a sudden says that GBP14 is not worth the hassle of calling Ebay's Customer Service Centre.   What a selfish buffoon.  Having had enough of dealing with the Seller, I told him that if he does not value his GBP 14 then we should put this matter to rest.  This also means that I will have to pay another sum of money for import charges unless I can convince the Seller to have a heart and make a call to Ebay's Customer Service so I can get my money back which seems to be hopeless at this point in time.

As for me, I am more of a buyer than a Seller.  I am taken aback at the difference in price between what Pitney Bowes charges for shipping and import charges and the actual mailing cost.  Imagine, GBP 34.07 vs. GBP 14!!  That is a large difference.   This is an obvious cash grab by Ebay.  And, it just plants a fear among Sellers about shipping internationally and all the hoops they have to go through just to do it.  Filling -up paperwork to export your item is not difficult at all.  Just another step compared to sending out a domestic package.    Oh well, I end my rant here.

I am wondering if anyone in the Community or from Ebay's Customer Service can offer advice on how I can get the unused Global Shipping Program money back.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Phil 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

My experience as a buyer and Ebay's Global Shipping Program and a selfish Seller.

(Although a photo on a counter isn’t proof of mailing; that’s your acceptance scan receipt.)
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946

"My patterns are sold as 'factory folded' so that wouldn't work for me."

To belabour the point (it's a snow day...) , the patterns remain "factory folded"; if the envelope is too fat to fit through the slot, it means that there are at least two folded lots of tissue. Two folded blocks can fit side by side with the original envelope on top. It helps to explain to the buyer that savings will be realized with this method; all she would have to do is remove all parts and re-insert into pattern envelope.

Of course, that was back in the day when one could easily communicate with buyers...

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Proof of Shipment is required for many third-party insurers. It’s not Proof of Delivery and helps squat in an Item Not Received case but it will allow a seller to recoup their losses if they bought insurance on the parcel and the buyer is willing to also sign their affidavit it wasn’t received.

No quibbles that overall, a good insurance scheme is far better "protection" than tracking, but many posters on the .ca and .com boards seem to confuse "proof of delivery" with "proof of dispatch" and since this particular poster didn't mention insurance, I'm thinking this is another example of the confusion.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply