PayPal and Ebay- Let us contact the legislator and ask for better consumer protection.

Dear People,

Please be aware that PayPal frequently scams people out of their money. They say a refund has been made, although they actually didn't. See the screenshots below. They claim to have made the refund on the 27th, yet looking at my summary, you will see that's a lie. Problem is that eBay nowadays claims to be free from PayPal, but that's only to not become involved in these problems. We all need to start contacting the government officials and demand better consumer protection against organizations such as PayPal. eBay won't help because they have, from a legal perspective, no reason to help anymore.

PayPal2.png

PayPal.png

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: PayPal and Ebay- Let us contact the legislator and ask for better consumer protection.

Where's the scam -- did you get your refund or not?

As for your "eBay nowadays claims to be free from PayPal" -- eBay does not claim that, eBay no longer owns PayPal -- but there is a 5 year agreement between the two companies on how they deal with each other.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: PayPal and Ebay- Let us contact the legislator and ask for better consumer protection.

@alblaauw wrote:

Please be aware that PayPal frequently scams people out of their money. They say a refund has been made, although they actually didn't. See the screenshots below. They claim to have made the refund on the 27th,

PayPal.png

It looks to me like you bought on the 25th, the refund was initiated on the 27th, and appears on the 30th.  Maybe your own bank had to verify it or something.  Maybe it had to come out of the seller's account as an echeck and those always take longer to clear.  Either way, I don't see a problem. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I think your worry stems from misunderstanding some part of the process. ebay and paypal deal with one another, and when paypal refunds a purchase, there is a matter of business days required for clearance. If that money is being sent back to your bank account, it will take three to five business days (usually) for that to happen. There is no 'scam' with it, that's the process. Money doesn't appear automatically, it takes time to clear. The same with money refunded to a credit card although that time may in fact be longer. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Also consider that banks weren't open on the 27th this year, so that may have delayed the processing of your refund.

I have my car insurance and mortgage payments debited from my chequing account near or at the end of the month.  If those dates fall on a weekend or holiday, those debits don't show up on my online banking statement until the beginning of the next month, although they're backdated to the dates the withdrawals were made.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Oh, yes, that too is a very good point. I had some personal unpleasantness recently arise from that very thing, it was a transaction that should have been paid by my paypal account balance on the day it shipped but didn't. It went into LaLa Land instead. Skipped the paypal balance that waited for it, and then tried to come from my bank account where there was money the day before and after but not on the backdate posted.

I'm more than a little humiliated by this and also a little frustrated but while I got through to paypal to discuss this immediately when I called, I hung up after being on hold for 25 minutes with no reply at my bank. Apparently, paypal will try again in three days to withdraw the money. This time there cannot be any confusion over it. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply