Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Can someone tell me if Canadian customs checks GSP packages

@marnotom! wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

Interesting,

With pieces of information about the item spread over various pages I wondered if it might all be shown when hitting the " Commit to buy" button, or if it was when the listing was first submitted.

Seller was kind enough to send a cancellation request when I explained my nefarious motives, but I don't think he realizes that he's enrolled in the Global Shipping Program as in his message back to me he referred to non-US buyers asking for a shipping quote before buying/bidding.  I sent him a screenshot of another of his listings that clearly had the GSP on it, so we'll see if and how he reacts to this bit of news.

The seller's justifiably annoyed with me for trying to buy the item and then requesting a cancellation with an offer to pay any any charges they may incur for having to relist it. (How could I pay for the shirt anyway?) There are still no hints that they know what the Global Shipping Program is or that their listings contain it.  I could try to keep messaging them but I don't think they're interested in explanations, and they're probably ranting about me on some .com discussion board now anyway.  Ah, well.

For what it's worth, the shirt's been relisted and it appears as though the Global Shipping Program information is all there this time.

Message 741 of 3,104
latest reply

Global shipping is away to drive Canada buyers to NOT buy from that seller, such a rip off!!!, I avoid this type of shipping like the plague. Bottom line your using a middle person to send the package,  places a HUGE extra cost to the shipping!! E bay and Pitt make money on people that just don't know..

Message 742 of 3,104
latest reply

@roadrunners123 wrote:

Global shipping is away to drive Canada buyers to NOT buy from that seller, such a rip off!!!, I avoid this type of shipping like the plague. Bottom line your using a middle person to send the package,  places a HUGE extra cost to the shipping!! E bay and Pitt make money on people that just don't know..

If you find a seller who offers "free" shipping within the United States, it can cut down on the shipping price for a GSP item considerably.  Sometimes--particularly for larger items--it can be less expensive than a direct shipment by mail.

Message 743 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello

I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Global Shipping program.  I feel it is NOT a service for Canadians the word SERVICE needs to be expelled from eBay's selling techniques.  Sellers THINK it is a service for the buyer!   It is a service to undedicated sellers,  end of story not the buyer.  I also have a concern that new buyers may think they have to use this so called service.  

Anyone with information or stories please post.  I am familiar with the US Postal site. I went on Pitney Bowes Global Shipping website asking  questions my post was deleted even though I followed their guidelines and rules.  My post included many questions "what do you do better than priority post?"    What is the difference between a seller using GSP and Priority mail?   Priority mail offers tracking, insurance what do you do better?    I know the answers to the question I wanted them in writing.   Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of my post.

eBay advertises the program as protection from sending wrong items through customs.  They should know this before the sale and that eBay has alerts about such items.  Who pays the cost of shipping the item back to the seller? Also found the customs form info frightening the forms they suggest  one must get may apply to 1%?  Have to check the customs form info again, and GSP global has been recently updated on US site.

Not one seller I have questioned knows anything about the service they have no idea what a customs broker is. They think they save money, that items are handled better therefore no breakage, they arrive faster, and one said the service went to the buyers door (overseas) 3 times in one day and her customs thought this service was the best they ever had. Her post started with something like this if you do not like GSP do not post on my link.  Of course the seller never sold over seas or to Canada prior to using GSP.  I replied that there is no Pitney Bowes truck that delivers the mail they use USA post!  I do not blame the seller they learned this tripe from eBay.  What I can do is not buy from them.  eBay needs to put a warning up when you bid on these items Lights flashing red screen many buyers miss it!

If anyone has any information to share please add to this post.

Message 744 of 3,104
latest reply

I replied that there is no Pitney Bowes truck that delivers the mail they use USA post!

The US postasl service is not used in the GSP system. Stuff is sent as air freight. Apart from Canada it is not delivered postally, but by local courier company.

eBay advertises the program as protection from sending wrong items through customs.  They should know this before the sale and that eBay has alerts about such items.  Who pays the cost of shipping the item back to the seller? Also found the customs form info frightening the forms they suggest  one must get may apply to 1%?  Have to check the customs form info again, and GSP global has been recently updated on US site.

I just don't undestand what you are trying to say here. Items are not shipped back to sellers. Sellers do not complete customs documentation.

Message 745 of 3,104
latest reply

It is a service to undedicated sellers

Yes.

EBay wanted to expand its seller base internationally and US sellers had fears of selling outside the Lower 48.

You would be surprised how many US sellers cannot comprehend that Puerto Rico is part of the USA>

Not one seller I have questioned knows anything about the service they have no idea what a customs broker is.

Which is why eBay introduced the GSP as a low information method of shipping securely.

They think they save money,

They do.

Because they are only shipping domestically (to the GSP plant in Kentucky) they do not have to take parcels to the PO, they can be picked up by their lettercarrier alond with their domestic sales.

that items are handled better therefore no breakage, they arrive faster,

No reason to believe this, since the seller does the packaging. Customs pre-clearance could make a considerable difference in some countries, although not  in Canada.

and one said the service went to the buyers door (overseas) 3 times in one day and her customs thought this service was the best they ever had.

Don’t know what “her customs” might be, since parcels would be delivered in the buyer’s country by either the postal service of a courier.

Of course the seller never sold over seas or to Canada prior to using GSP.

So the purpose of the program, to  encourage US sellers to sell outside the USA , has been fulfilled.

Message 746 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding this practice. I see some sellers do this and some don't.

I was under the impression, used clothing items for sure shouldn't have import charges.

Can anyone speak intelligently on this topic? I called ebay and got no answers yet.

Here is my question(s)

1) When I pay these import charges supposedly based on the price of the item, where does the money go, is it given to the seller (al deposited into seller paypal account when I pay for my item

2) When is it appropriate to NOT charge import charges on international sales?

I am asking as I bought a used clothing item and my seller is asking for $16.50  )import charges)+ Shipping + cost of item.

I don't feel this is correct as it is a used clothing item and the taxes have already been paid no? And when the heck did taxes become nearly 50% of the cost of the item purchased.

I know it is only $16.50 but I am not giving it without knowing it is correct. If its right its right, if it's not it's not.

How can Ebay NOT know about this? If it is allowed on their site I would hope they can know the ins & outs. I feel this is another way (like jacking up shipping costs) to take advantage of buyers.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 747 of 3,104
latest reply

This is known as the Global shipping program.

Almost everything imported into Canada, with a value over $20.00 Canadian is subject

to the taxes of the province you live in.

It doesn't matter if it new or used you still pay taxes.

The seller does not get any of this import charge.

Pitney Bowes get a handling fee and the taxes are

forwarded to the Canadian government.

Message 748 of 3,104
latest reply

Can anyone from ebay actually defend this program with a straight face and explain how it's supposed to be good for customers?

I've seen these charges on items I was interested in, made the items far more expensive then other sources and have asked ebay for a justification and they couldn't do it, ebay reps themselves don't even understand how this program works.  And based on the feedback maybe it's time to scrap this program.

Message 749 of 3,104
latest reply

@therealcartman wrote:

Can anyone from ebay actually defend this program with a straight face and explain how it's supposed to be good for customers?

eBay would say that this makes a lot more merchandise available to buyers from outside of the United States, and I'd tend to agree.  The problem is that many sellers don't realize that they're making their merchandise available to these buyers in the first place.

However, I did buy a Smartphone through the Global Shipping Program a couple of weeks ago.  Since the seller offered "free" shipping within the United States, I only had to pay for shipping between the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky and my abode on Vancouver Island.  I thought the shipping rate was pretty reasonable.  The package was opened at the GSC, but it was put back together just fine.  In addition, for whatever reason the amount I paid in import charges was actually less than the GST and PST I'd pay on it if I bought it from a Canadian seller registered to collect sales taxes.  Go figure.

While I wouldn't say that the GSP is good for all Canadian buyers, it seemed to work well enough for me, particularly as I didn't need to see any sort of breakdown of the import charges.  My advice would be use the GSP if it seems to make sense and you're willing to put up with the various weirdnesses of the program, but don't use it if it doesn't make sense, etc.  That goes for sellers as well as buyers.

Message 750 of 3,104
latest reply

Ahhh! Thank-u Afantiques! Shipment arrived last week and not additional charges when I picked up at my post office. I sent an apology and grovelled to him to allow me to buy from him again and he accepted. My mistake was reading the boards BEFORE I bought items again after a 4 year hiatus. Got caught up in the hysteria lol! Thanks Kindly..Ace
Message 751 of 3,104
latest reply

@ace_4420 wrote:
Ahhh! Thank-u Afantiques! Shipment arrived last week and not additional charges when I picked up at my post office. I sent an apology and grovelled to him to allow me to buy from him again and he accepted. My mistake was reading the boards BEFORE I bought items again after a 4 year hiatus. Got caught up in the hysteria lol! Thanks Kindly..Ace

I'm glad it worked all worked out well for you, but to clarify ... which shipment is it that you are referring to?

The way Ebay has chosen to consolidate all GSP issues into this thread is as  convoluted  as the GSP program.

If it's the one with tracking number LZ426859367us that you asked about,   Canada Post tracking indicates that this isn't  a GSP item and was never sent to Erlanger, Ky. 

Message 752 of 3,104
latest reply

If it's the one with tracking number LZ426859367us that you asked about,   Canada Post tracking indicates that this isn't  a GSP item and was never sent to Erlanger, Ky.

Canada Post is used to deliver GSP items after they have been imported.

But as you say, with all the mad modding it it easy to lose the thread.

Sweeping stuff under the carpet makes a big mound in the carpet. Or a multi thousand post thread, mostly critical.

Message 753 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying AF.  I feel as thick as a plank sometimes with this GSP ...I still find it confusing even after reading hundreds of posts and this thread doesn't help with the muddle it has turned into.

I looked at the tracking, didn't see the dreaded "erlanger, ky" .. and jumped to the wrong conclusion!! 

So it was a GSP item, then? 

tracking.jpg

Message 754 of 3,104
latest reply

I still think its weird why some people use it and some don't. Do you happen to know WHY some utilize this and some don't?
Message 755 of 3,104
latest reply

That was not a GSP item, it left the US via JFK airport. I have totally lost track of the original subject now 🙂

Message 756 of 3,104
latest reply

I buy many items on Ebay from American Sellers. I am in Canada.  It has gotten to a point that I will No longer Buy Items from Americans who are part of this Global Shipping Program. My reasons are as follows.

1) Neither the Seller or Buyer can track a package.

2) The Buyer pays large Fees

3) Packages are always opened & inspected & an Ebay statement about it is placed inside.

4) Waiting times are greatly increased. (Currently waiting 22 days) It used to take 12-14 days on average.

The following paragraph is what I send to any seller, who has an item that I wish to bid on.  If they don't opt out of the GSP, then I do not buy from them.

My Paragraph reads......

Hello, I was interested in your item. I see that you opted into EBay's Global Shipping Program or GSP. You should be aware, that as a Canadian Buyer, I have paid the ridiculous Import Fees, received an item, and found how the package was tore apart. For some reason these EBay packages are opened & inspected constantly. Interesting that you are left an EBay note inside your package stating it was opened. It is common knowledge, that the GSP is nothing more than a Cash Grab, & as such all sellers should refuse to be a part of it. Canadian buyers pay much more for American items than we should with regular duty & taxes.  The GSP simply eliminates you from selling to Canadians like me. If your items are geared towards 3rd world countries, then fine....but if you want to sell to Canadians, may I suggest that you opt out of this program.   It is the only way that you would ever get a bid from me.

I encourage all members to refrain from using this Global Shipping Program.

RossVintageRadio

Message 757 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

I purchased a Phone over eBay deals on 27th January 2014 Item no: 380827328783 and the seller shipped the item promptly using EGSP to my address in Canada and it showed up with the tracking number UPAAB000000046415525 soon after. The item moved slowly all around the US and reached Erlanger, KY shipping office and it is stuck there since 3rd February till now. The estimated delivery date to my address in Canada was listed at 20th February but I see no hope in getting it back. The customer care people say they don't know where it is, the seller says it is not his responsibility and there is no proper logistics company like UPS for me to call directly.

eBay representatives asked me to escalate my case to paypal who handled the money to claim for a refund. This is my first purchase from eBay Canada and I am so frustrated that I had to wait 1 month to know that even eBay doesn't know where it is. I come from India where I have purchased over 200 items from eBay India and have never even missed a single package. Why does eBay even run this irresponsible shipping program where all they can do is collect my money and refund it back after a lot of waiting and hazzles.

Somebody please tell me what to do, I'm so depressed to have missed this offer because of eBay's first class shipping program.

Message 758 of 3,104
latest reply

I am in the same boat right now. I ordered it on the 24th.

Best thing you can do is contact the seller, tell them to start an investigation with the courrier they sent with and start a claim with paypal, just so yo uare covered before the 45 days are up should something happen.

Message 759 of 3,104
latest reply

@rossvintageradio wrote:

I buy many items on Ebay from American Sellers. I am in Canada.  It has gotten to a point that I will No longer Buy Items from Americans who are part of this Global Shipping Program. My reasons are as follows.

1) Neither the Seller or Buyer can track a package.

2) The Buyer pays large Fees

3) Packages are always opened & inspected & an Ebay statement about it is placed inside.

4) Waiting times are greatly increased. (Currently waiting 22 days) It used to take 12-14 days on average.

I wonder if there is some way we can compare GSP sales that haven't worked out well with those that have and find out why some of these sales are working and some aren't?  With my GSP purchase, the tracking was there, the fees were reasonable, the inspection didn't monkey around with the contents and the item arrived within the timeframe stated in the listing.

My only quibble--and that's on principle--is that there was no breakdown of the import charges, but as I don't have any taxes on which to try to claim back, it's not an issue for me personally.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my seller was very much aware that they were using the GSP in their listings and they knew how to use it?  (Apart from not including a country of manufacture in the listing's Item Specifics.)

Message 760 of 3,104
latest reply