The runaround. Don't deal with this dishonest seller!

here is the classic runaround from a dishonest seller in China.

I purchase some items with a low dollar amount.  I am pretty certain that the seller never sent the items. I have asked for a refund 15 times. Every time the seller responds to my question with another question, and just ignores the refund request.

So now I can't get a refund because ebay is making me wait until May 3. That is 3 months and two days or 91 days!!

I cannot leave feedback for this seller because it's expired.

I think ebay should fix this bug. Users should be allowed to leave feedback  especially since I can't file a claim until May 3.

All this because of a $2 item. Normally I would not waste my time, but I do not want the seller to get away with this.

Imagine how much money dishonest sellers can make if they do this to 100 people a day!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: The runaround. Don't deal with this dishonest seller!

This is a common ploy with sellers from China. You spent way too much time sending messages back & forth. You should have opened a Item Not Received request right away. Although eBay only offers a 60 day refund, PayPal offers one up to 180 days.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

This is a common ploy with sellers from China. You spent way too much time sending messages back & forth. You should have opened a Item Not Received request right away. Although eBay only offers a 60 day refund, PayPal offers one up to 180 days.

eBay protection is for 30 days after last estimated delivery date (can be difficult to find the purchase after 60 days).

PayPal protection is up to 180 days from time of purchase.

-..-

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What a gigantic waste of time and stress for a $2.00 item. This is exactly the reason I will never buy from China. I hope everyone learns a lesson from reading your post, buy North American! 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Actually ebay edited my post and removed the messages I posted.

Why?

It would only help others.

Sellers like this will always stall until you give up.

I am unable to open a claim until May 3 which would be 91 days since I purchased the item.

After 60 days, ebay disables the ability for me to post feedback on this seller.

This is not right.

If I must wait before I make a claim, I should be allowed to enter feedback at least until the deadline ends. (In this case May 3)  It's only common sense.

I am all against entering negative feedback towards sellers. I usually like to wait until the deadline before even asking for a refund. Or if I would receive a defective item, only then would I contact the seller and try to work things out. 

Some of these sellers rely on ebay to survive and a few dollars to them is a big deal.

At the same time I simply cannot let anyone get away with scamming me or anyone else here, no matter what the dollar amount may be.

One positive thing, I am happy that ebay & paypal both offer buyer protection.

I did manage to start a claim for this item (only by phoning in) simply because the seller is trying to give me the runaround.

Even if I ever do get a refund, I will always repay the seller should the item arrive, no matter how long it will take.

In my experience, if the item does not show up within 60 days, it's not coming, ever.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@rmallory123 

I am unable to open a claim until May 3 which would be 91 days since I purchased the item.

EBay has a 30 day limit from last estimated date for delivery to open a Dispute. Not from purchase.

If you were unable to do that there are two possible reasons:

1. The deadline has passed
  2. You cannot find the transaction number because eBay hides old transactions.

The answer to both is Paypal.

For #2- the transaction number remains on your PP account.

For #1- Paypal offers Buyer Protection for 180 days from Payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Ignore the suggestion that you contact the seller.

• In any case, your only conversation with the seller should be "When was this shipped? What service was used? What is the tracking number?" 
  • If there is a tracking number, check that the item has arrived in Canada.
  • No number or not yet in Canada, open an Item Not Received Claim.
  • If the seller offers a replacement, refuse. It won't arrive either.

Ask PP to step in and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, DELIVERY), you will be refunded.

If an eBay Claim fails, you can still open a Paypal Dispute.

In my experience, if the item does not show up within 60 days, it's not coming, ever.

You are more patient than I.

I allow 20 days for North America and 30 for overseas, based on over 35 years in mail order.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

thanks @femmefan1946 

I wish I could post the sellers user name so others can avoid him/her.

Ebay would just delete it.

There are a few negative feedback posts within the last 30 days for this seller. Same thing I said, getting the runaround,... etc.

Generally I disregard negative feedback when looking to make a purchase depending on the circumstances.

From now on I think I am going to do things differently.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Chinese sellers are volume sellers, much more profitable for eBay than the occasional "North American" hobby seller. They are not going away, whether you want it or not. I've reported counterfeit items from Chinese sellers in my category, nothing was done, they are still selling the same items months later. Money talks.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

EBay won't take the word of a single member, particularly one who is competing with the questionable seller, as having any weight.

If several different sellers complain, more attention might be paid.

Most effective is to inform the manufacturer of the product than counterfeits are being sold here.

They have more reason to investigate and more clout with eBay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

No matter what country it's coming from, don't expect great service on a 2 dollar transaction. This type of transaction is not limited to Chinese sellers. I have had great experiences with the Chinese sellers, but then again, I'm not looking for the cheapest price possible either. It doesn't matter what type of product it is, if the going price is 10 times more than you paid, you must question the quality and value. If I bought a 2 dollar kettle from China for example I wouldn't expect much
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

We are not allowed to "name and shame" other members on these Boards, since posts only give one side of the story.

We can using the @ symbol draw a specific member's attention to our comments.

For example @rmallory123 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

tj8799
Community Member

bought some dropps I saw on the net for ringing ears from a seller on here from china and one was smashed and the two remaining did notrhing 

I asked for a return label from him he kept wanting me to send them back with me paying the postage back even thru it is covered by a eBay policely of damaged item 

He  the seller wanted me to pay shipping back and I would get a refund plus shipping cost why would I do that if the seller supposed to do it 

I took my case to PayPal the seller did not reply to PayPal and I won the case so besides the dropps not do nothing even thru I saw on the internet the same thing as he was seller probaby was a fake and two to ask someone to pay the shipping back to china that is crazy 

PS the dropps was in a padded package mailer not a box so that was the got smashed and leaked all over in the mailer

So besure you look at it closely I was only buy stuff like this from the USA

Message 12 of 12
latest reply