selling fake items

Hi.

Why is ebay not doing anything about selling fake items from China? To use the excuse the asking price is some sort of indicator is wrong. I have bought many a product bellow market price from honest sellers some from China. That is the spirit of ebay. I just received a camera lens filter from a seller in China and it is not even a good fake. It has marks[fingerprint like] on the glass. This seller has more of these for sale. You can get all this information on the internet. Just Google Fake Hoya filters. This activity has been going on for years. It is time somebody finds away to stop this. Tokina a fine company who owns Hoya must be feed-up with the infringement on their good name.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

selling fake items

Because as long as buyers like yourself continue to support the overseas sellers, they will continue to peddle their wares..

You should have opened a case for INAD, and filed for your money back,.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Tokina a fine company who owns Hoya must be feed-up with the infringement on their good name.

Perhaps you should let Tokina know that their product is being counterfeited and sold online.

EBay has a very strong VeRO program the company can join that is very effective.

Meanwhile-- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

While many brand name products are made in China, they are made to the company standards and ALL are shipped to the brand. Brand name products sold from mainland China at steep discounts are probably counterfeit, replica, or knock offs.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Tokina a fine company who owns Hoya must be fed-up with the infringement on their good name.

Perhaps you should let Tokina know that their product is being counterfeited and sold online.

EBay has a very strong VeRO program the company can join that is very effective.

Meanwhile-- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

While many brand name products are made in China, they are made to the company standards and ALL are shipped to the brand. Brand name products sold from mainland China at steep discounts are probably counterfeit, replica, or knock offs.

also some are factory seconds and thirds, fell off the back of the truck, or otherwise diverted from the original owner.

Once upon a time there was a company that had an unexpectedly popular product and wanted to have the Chinese factory go from 2 production shifts to round the clock to meet demand -- the factory was strangely reluctant. As it turned out the factory was already doing three shifts with product from the third shift being diverted to the local triad gang...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Report an Item. It's halfway down the listing. 

Call the company who owns the rights and alert them to this happening. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Sounds too good to be true. Buyer beware is the standard answer. A year ago my 14 year old stove burn out the controller. Choice #1 new stove same one $600.00 #2 new controller from local retailer $380.00 #3 new controller[original manufacturer part] on E-BAY for $50.00. Which would chose? I rolled the dice and chose the E-bay seller and had it one week. The stove still going stong one year later. Sounds to good to be true hum.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Ok. Supporting off shore sellers on e-bay. I am not a believer in throwing away something that needs repair or do I need the latest and greatest new product.

If I cannot get a part to repair something I bought from a North American retailer than if I can I will buy it from a Chinese retailer. As far as the Hoya filter is concerned. The one I wanted is no longer in production. Yes I could find it on e-bay in the U.S. and pay more than it is worth shipping costs. Cheers.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Hi.

I mainly posted my comments to warn unaware buyers. There are ways to identify fake items and good people on the internet willing to help. Like I sad price is not the issue. These e-bay web sites do not show you a photograph of the item you are buying. Even the ones who are selling Genuine products. It should be a requirement to post a photo of the actual item being sold. In the case of the Hoya filter it can be identified. The filter I was after was no longer available through a local retailer because it is longer made buy the company.

I can afford to eat the cost but some people can't. E-bay seems to be dragging their heels on the problem or they just don't care.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

you are 100% correct, when an overseas seller is selling an item they always use a picture of a genuine item..  so as a buyer we all have to report fake, counterfeit items, when we encounter them.. perhaps in 10 years they can all go back to alibaba site where there is all counterfeit items, and they are ok with it..

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

@nebulaastronomy wrote:

I can afford to eat the cost but some people can't. E-bay seems to be dragging their heels on the problem or they just don't care.

Great that you can absorb the cost, but if you don't go through the channels of filing a claim for a refund, eBay isn't going to know that there's a problem and the seller continues selling for a little longer until users who do care alert eBay.

I'm not sure what measures you can expect eBay to take against active fraudulent listings.  After all, you thought the listing you purchased from was okay.

Having said all that, my understanding is that the incidence of fraud on eBay is much lower in terms of proportions of sales than it was ten years ago.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

As far as the Hoya filter is concerned. The one I wanted is no longer in production. Yes I could find it on e-bay in the U.S. and pay more than it is worth shipping costs.

Ummmm.

The item is no longer in production.

But a "new" one was being offered.

At a lower than expected price.

From a country known for its disinterest in copyright and intellectual property rights.

Peanut butter and cat food.jpg

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Fraud is a category that sadly, despite the crackdowns, still goes strong. Shut one group dow, ten more fill it's place.

Sad truth is it costs money to crack down.

Folks may say that there needs to be stronger laws, but way back a few hundred years, it was death by hanging for pickpockets, but despite this pickpockets would be there at the hanging (which was a media event gruesome as it was) to pick more pockets of those who were watching.

Point is, your are your own worst enemy. I am my own worst enemy, so on so forth. I got caught up in something where I thought I was buying a nice watch, ends up it was a copy of another auction. So I file for refund. Lesson learned.

If there is a deal and it seems too good, well, chances are it is.

Relating to China, I believe at one point counterfeiting was still a death penalty crime. Not sure if that is still the same today. But they still do it.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Fraud comes in many forms not exclusive to only China.Fake or not.For example from the U.S.A an item place on auction for 10 dollars with 3000 dollars shipping is as blatant as it gets.That's not isolated .Other from the UK and Germany are also trying to pull this same scam.

I've bought many things from China without any evidence what so ever of fraud  ,or fakes.Many times what people think is a fake is really new old stock.

A photo or even a description of the item in question would help.

Did you ask the seller about the item in question before purchase?

Did you look at the feedback given to the seller?

Did you report the issue?

Fact is, many companies that used to operate out of Europe and North America now manufacture an/or have warehouses in China. You can trace what countries certain companies have manufacturing facilities and warehouses .

People have to do their research before committing to purchase.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

brakiy
Community Member

Just don't buy anything from that country period. It's cheap and fake and as long as you're supporting importing the goods, eBay will benefit. eBay will not stop/block fake items if they're making money. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

machv55
Community Member
Simply put they would lose a significant portion of revenue that is generated from those sales. It's also tolerated at Amazon even if the product destroys a small inventors possible sales from knockoffs selling for less. And due to the sellers posting multiple listings at different prices but using same graphics it becomes a nightmare to even start to do something about it. You don't make billions by doing the right ethical and moral thing when it comes to raking it in.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

selling fake items

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply