Ebay collection of taxes on used items

ashleys
Community Member

Lets tell it like it is! Canadians do not collect or submit taxes on used items , sold or bought at garage sales , flea markets , or personal sales of personal items! So where is this money collected by ebay going to? When the Canadian government and the provinces do not charge on these used items that the taxes were already paid when the item or items were purchased new.  Is ebay just going to keep the charges for there own greed that ebay has shown over the years? I for one and hopefully many more of us long time ebay sellers will just give up selling on ebay! many more local free options are available anyway through on line market places , flea markets.  

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Ebay collection of taxes on used items

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm in British Columbia, where vehicle insurance is mandatory.  When I bought a used SUV from a private individual, I wasn't able to license and insure it until I had paid the taxes due on the sale.

You don't generally pay taxes on sales of items sold at garage sales, etc. because the sellers aren't registered to collect and remit taxes.  It has nothing to do with the item being used.  Read some of the other threads that have been posted to this board on this subject for more information.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

"Canadians do not collect or submit taxes on used items , sold or bought at garage sales , flea markets , or personal sales of personal items!"

and neither do USA citizens,  but they now have this "internet taxation" that covers any online purchases...

This isn't about eBay and/or any greed by eBay...this is a government thing just as was the USA "internet tax"...

this encompasses other selling sites too, not just eBay...Amazon is already there...

Good luck with those local outlets and the time consumption/time wasted and all the rest of that "good stuff" that's associated with such endeavors...

been there, done that! and it's not everything that it's raved about... in general a lot more time, effort and pain goes into local selling...you "earn" every dollar. However, yes it's an option, so good luck with whatever you choose to do going forward...

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

One of my favourite thrift shops has a sign over the checkout desk reminding customers that they are required to charge sales taxes on the (used and donated) goods that they sell. thrift store receipt 1.jpeg

Some flea market sellers are registered to collect and are remitting taxes. They calculate the amount of tax owed at the end of day, rather than making the tax a separate payment.
When I lived in Ottawa, merchants in Hull, right across the river in QC, would have a big "we pay the sales tax" sale about once a year.

They were actually just reducing their prices in the amount of the sales tax, which was more profitable  and more popular than a 20 to 25% discount on slow moving merchandise.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

That's the first time I see a Salvation Army store charging taxes!  Here in Quebec province, non-profit stores (ex. Salvation Army, Renaissance) do not charge them, but Village Value does because it's a for profit.  I seriously doubt there is a threshold in sales amount for this rule, because they would surpass the $30K limit in Montréal for sure!

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

If you’re curious, here’s information on how the British Columbia provincial sales tax is applied to sales from charitable thrift stores:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-304-thrift-stores-service-clubs...
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@ashleys wrote:

Lets tell it like it is! Canadians do not collect or submit taxes on used items , sold or bought at garage sales , flea markets , or personal sales of personal items! So where is this money collected by ebay going to? When the Canadian government and the provinces do not charge on these used items that the taxes were already paid when the item or items were purchased new.  Is ebay just going to keep the charges for there own greed that ebay has shown over the years? I for one and hopefully many more of us long time ebay sellers will just give up selling on ebay! many more local free options are available anyway through on line market places , flea markets.  

Hey @ashleys 

This new tax requirement is legislated by the Canadian government.  eBay will remit all taxes collected to the appropriate taxing authorities as legally required.

Thanks! 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

genegg
Community Member

It is the governments gouging us, not ebay. The gouging done by ebay is the global shipping and handling nonsense.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@genegg wrote:

The gouging done by ebay is the global shipping and handling nonsense.

Actually, that's done by Pitney Bowes and its contractees.  😋

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Any business that has a employee start a reply with "Hey"  would not be working for my business long!

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

An employee of mine who had trouble spelling and capitalizing words as well as using punctuation and prepositions properly would receive some coaching from me if they were good at the other aspects of their job.

For what it’s worth, Jasmine was recently offered another position within eBay and will no longer be in the role of a discussion board liaison.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

You are correct, and if you notice she has gone...

Hey!

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

...what position, the door?!

"An employee of mine who had trouble spelling and capitalizing words as well as using punctuation and prepositions"

...should not be working in a position that requires written communication skills, a thing lacking in spades in our younger generations.

Just like legible cursive handwriting...

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

But which kind of cursive?

I learned the British system- which is like Italic cursive, but was forced to change to the Spencerian cursive when I went to school.

When I was studying German, most of our texts were in the old Kurrentschrift or Sutterlinscrift, and we were required to learn and use that. Which may be why I don't speak German.

And Italic cursive is widely used by Canadians educated in Italy.

Eastern Europeans use yet another cursive, even with the Roman alphabet, and Canadians who first learned to write English in Arabic -speaking nations use yet another cursive.

And that overlooks the several historic cursives used over the centuries.

On the other hand,  printing is almost always the same, no matter where the writer was educated.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Dude, they make a profit selling those things ofcourse there will be taxed. Selling something you bought new in the store for a lower price is not profit , its actually loss so why should there be a tax on it. Makes no sense at all.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Why then is no tax collected at stores like Renaissance on used items, they are a retailer that can collect and remit taxes?

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I was in Renaissance yesterday adn signs everywhere say NO TAX, in Quebec, Canada

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

applicable Provincial taxes, and applicable GST, where is, when is, why is, as is...

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@kayron007 wrote:

Why then is no tax collected at stores like Renaissance on used items, they are a retailer that can collect and remit taxes?

I’m from British Columbia and not familiar with Renaissance. I checked the FAQ section of its website and it says they’re a registered charity, not a retailer. GST and QST rules are different for charities than they are for retailers. Renaissance does not appear to be registered to collect and remit GST and QST on sales it makes.

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/businesses/consumption-taxes/gsthst-and-qst/special-cases-gsthst-and-...

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But which kind of cursive?

I learned the British system- which is like Italic cursive, but was forced to change to the Spencerian cursive when I went to school.

When I was studying German, most of our texts were in the old Kurrentschrift or Sutterlinscrift, and we were required to learn and use that. Which may be why I don't speak German.

And Italic cursive is widely used by Canadians educated in Italy.

Eastern Europeans use yet another cursive, even with the Roman alphabet, and Canadians who first learned to write English in Arabic -speaking nations use yet another cursive.

And that overlooks the several historic cursives used over the centuries.

On the other hand,  printing is almost always the same, no matter where the writer was educated.

@reallynicestamps 

Unfortunately, my mind is still stuck in block letters. Too many projects during my school years. I haven't needed to write anything cursively in years. With a bit of cursing...maybe.

It was recently reported on Canadian news...The kind we can temporarily find using google...that there has been thoughts of discontinued the teaching of cursive writing by an assortment of school boards. Other boards discontinued it years ago and are trying to bring it back. Curious to see how far it all goes or we will just end up with "gap" workers. The ones that never learned.

Too bad cursive is not an option with eBay. And by the way who writes using Webdings or Wing dings? Huh?

Unfortunately cursive is not an option with eBay. And who writes in Webding or Wing dings

-Lotz

Message 20 of 29
latest reply