Issues with Managed Payments

Our company sells on EBay and our payments have always been managed by Paypal. We have never had any problem with them but on January 12, 2021 EBay sent us an email asking to manage payments for our company's account promising no more PayPal payment processing fees and that we would have got paid directly to our bank account.
After a research on the internet, we understood that if we had not opted in for this program we would not have been able to sell anymore on EBay.
We have a registered business so we thought we would have not had any problem with this process but unfortunately this is not the case: in the beginning EBay's system has been unable to process payments because of a problem with our bank account. After we corrected it, your system started sending payouts but from January 30 stopped sending payouts stating that the system is unable to verify our company. In the meantime our items kept selling and EBay asked us to send items to buyers. Of course we also have paid the shipping cost to send the items to buyers. EBay is holding all the money for all the items we have sold since January 30 2021. Now EBay is also threatening to put further restrictions to the account if we do not update our information by February the 25th. We keep updating the information and sending the official letter of business registration with the Government of Canada, we also sent mine and my partner's SIN number as per your system's request and full banking information but the system keeps rejecting verification without any apparent reason. We have contacted customer service several times and every time the EBay agent from the Managed payments department opens the file, see the document we have uploaded, says the document is perfect and assures us that after a manual review in maximum 72 hours our problem will be solved but after a few hours we receive a rejection email. Lately, two of agents, in two different phone calls have been telling us that if the problem would not be solved by 72 hours, we would have received a phone call from a supervisor; well, we have never received any call from any supervisor. We have asked the agents to switch our company account back to the prior status but they refuse to do so, they say it's impossible because they no longer use PayPal but EBay still uses PayPal to invoice our company, in fact, today an EBay invoice for fees of $262.99 has been automatically paid from my company's PayPal account.
Just to be clear: EBay is invoicing our company for money that belongs to our company and they are arbitrarily holding. It's clear that when there is a problem, as sellers we cannot count on EBay but we are on our own. Anyone has experienced the same? If so, how did you solve?

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Issues with Managed Payments

With all due respect pj, I did read the info - and gave in and signed up despite having reservations - so far I've received 11 notices from eBay saying "ebay has sent you a payout" going back 2 weeks - not ONE has been deposited into my account - I've called and was told to enter bank info again - zero effect - this is absolutely ridiculous -

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

RBC account by chance? A few posters have had issues with payouts to RBC. Other issue seems to be ebay sending payouts in wrong currency. Shouldn't have to re-enter your bank information as that won't make a difference if you did it properly again and it'll get you stuck back with a compliance/verification check. As long as the legal business name (for business account) or your personal name (if personal name) match exacty to the account owner name on file with the bank then you have done what you can from your side.

Unfortunately the training of managed payment reps is full of holes, inconsistencies, and frankly a lot of bad advice that is getting accounts flagged by compliance. My own experience has been god awful and resembles something out of a bad comedy sketch. If it works you are lucky. If you run into any of the bugs, limitation, or other terrible implementation steps then it is a complete and utter horrendous thing to work through as they a ramming accounts through the system and activating them before banking information is even verified and compliance checks are passed. 

Want an example of comedy hold, here is the latest reply I received:

"However, as these are the technical issues, we can't actually provide you the exact turn around time when it will be resolved. However, I can assure you that it will be resolved at the earliest as our tech team is engaged into this."

Thanks. Money please.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Exactly the same thing has been happeniing to me. I have received four notices that the payment has been sent to my bank but there is no sign of it. I received the first notice on on June 16 for a sale I made on June 11. I am not pink sliped, there is no hold, the bank confirms that the ID # has not been presented to them. I have talked to eBay CS and it was supposed to be looked into. One CS rep said I needed a letter from the bank. I asked her why since your system shows it is still trying to deposit the money every four days. I finally got to talk to someone higher up the food chain called Adam, who I hoped would sort this for me but have not heard back from him either. Needless to say the money has not shown up in my account and the amount outstanding is approaching the $2000.00 mark.

If this sutuation can't be recitifed I will have to close my eBay account and switch all my listings to my Etsy account that I recently opened. Etsy, BTW also deposits straight into your bank acount. I was able to set this up and receive my first payment from them with absolutly no hassle!

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

The problem is the siloing of departments in ebay. The most frustrating part is you get ahold of someone who is in a management position who knows what needs to be done but can't do anything themselves other than send internal tickets which the other departments then proceed to ignore or reply back with a form letter from a scripted template. Reply to them and ask them to go read the SR# notes and the original ticket and you get another scripted template resonse. Frankly it's getting bloody insulting to get fobbed off like this to some outsourced derpatment that bearly has any command of the english language. Fine for general customer service but absolutely not when it is payments related and people's money is being held in limbo. Need documentation? Fine give us a way to get it to you that doesn't take a week of waiting.

About time people start filing complaints with the appropriate regulatory body. It's not like managed payments just started yesterday. This level of incompetence is not acceptable.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

After almost 20 years of selling on Ebay, I am closing my account. I am a Canadian seller who makes daily shipments from a cross border warehouse; since 90% of my sales are in US, 90% of my inventory is there.

I have had a USD account in a US bank to recive my USD deposits from Paypal. Paypal funds are released to me immediately a sale is made on Ebay. I pride myself on a system which immediately payment is received, generates a shipping ticket to the cross border warehouse who ships sameday. That was my business before managed payments. Everyone was happy.

Now Ebay has migrated me to managed payments by mandate. When I try to verify identity, I receive an error message on screen and can't input any information, nor can I access my personal information in 'account settings' nor can I access my payments screen. Yet sales and Ebay billing is still going on and I am accumulating funds which are on hold, while Ebay has obviously blocked my ability to register for managed payments.

I have had no less than 5 chaats and a phone call, each of almost an hour's duration, with Ebay agents, who each ultimately says the same thing: we have referrred your issue to the appropriate team, who will solve it.

This has been going on since June 15 with no resolution. So I have suspended all my listings on Ebay, pending a resolution which I'm sure will never come.

A shameful way to treat a customer of almost 20 years, with thousands of sales on Ebay, 100% positive feedback and sameday shipping....

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Have you found an alternative selling platform that will support your business platform and has the volume of traffic you need for your sales?  You don't have to identify it; I'm just being nosy.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

I am having my own frustrations getting through the MP fiasco. I have found that the team leads are employing a new tactic. They are forced to perform a call back (it must be validated somewhere). So they dial my number and after I say hello the line disconnects. They repeat this a few times and then send an email to say that they could not reach you...

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

Etsy is an appropriate audience for most of my items, but I expect at least a 70% drop in sales. Ebay has the widest scope by far, which is why they can mandate whatever they want and **bleep** on their customers whenever they want. Managed payments benefits Ebay, not me. I have never had anyone say they couldn'y buy an item from me if I didn't take Applepay or Alipay.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Are you at least receiving payments ? Or are you stuck in limbo like I am ?

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Ebay has the ability to pay you out funds owed via other means but you'll need to get a team leader to push for that to happen. They'll have to make a case internally but if you push enough they'll get that ball rolling. They'll need a reason to justify it, but if the system is preventing you from completing registration and they are not providing alternatives for verification in a timely manner that is certainly grounds for it. 

Message 30 of 51
latest reply

@lubababie wrote:

I am having my own frustrations getting through the MP fiasco. I have found that the team leads are employing a new tactic. They are forced to perform a call back (it must be validated somewhere). So they dial my number and after I say hello the line disconnects. 

Best strategy is to request a call back from managed payments then ask to be transferred to a team lead and tell them you'll wait till one is available. Wait times can be lengthy but if you want to get ahold of someone do this. 

Message 31 of 51
latest reply

@wolf_4834 wrote:

Etsy is an appropriate audience for most of my items, but I expect at least a 70% drop in sales. Ebay has the widest scope by far, which is why they can mandate whatever they want and **bleep** on their customers whenever they want. Managed payments benefits Ebay, not me. I have never had anyone say they couldn'y buy an item from me if I didn't take Applepay or Alipay.

But are you going to be able to receive US dollar payments and deposit them in a US-based bank account?  My understanding is that Etsy Payments works a lot like eBay's Managed Payments system and you're not going to be able to replicate your business model on Etsy.

Message 32 of 51
latest reply

Just got off the phone after my regular Monday morning call to eBay to see where my money is. After sending them a copy of my bank statement, with all appropriate headers, on July 5, and re-regestering my banking acount with them another half a dozen times my Seller Hub indicates that my information does not exhist on file and I have to go through the whole process again! After talking to yet another C/S rep who said they will escilate it to a supervisor I sit and wait for a call. This rep informed me that the bank information I gave them came back as an inactive account. WTH? 

I don't know how eBay can screw something so simple up. I signed up with ETSY and my first payment went through with out a glitch, as have the subsiquent ones. Although my sales on ETSY have not been what my eBay sales are I also don't have all my items there. I find listing on ETSY tedious and not as quick as eBay, but my only recourse is to move all my listing there and try to generate more sales on that platform.

When I hear from eBay (if I ever do) I will strongly sugest that the amount they owe me be sent to my PayPal account. Kudos to whoever mention this could be done, now lets see if it works.

Will keep you posted.

Message 33 of 51
latest reply

Same thing with our 3 stores . No Payouts since  25 of June .  We spended 8 hours with chats / phone calls   but every Rep has a different solution.  They try to help but NOBODY has any SOLUTION at all.

One time it is our browsers fault, the other time it is our  banks fault  and  on and  on ... Sick and tired .

The Reps are by the way in USA and not in Canada .

Yes it is  Gong show  and we feel like we are fooled around by this firm in a complet unprofessional and inaccurate manner .  

They  also bombarding us with Emails that we own them Money .

We absolutely do notEbay owns us Payments  - 600 US Dollars - but were is our Money ?

There were also no Micro Deposits made to our brand new  Ebay MP Accounts

We  also had to  send our items away otherwise we would be bombarded with Negativs for late shipping ....

Big mistake what Ebay did with this MP .

Stock market reflects this bad situation already

We fully agree to call a Class Action .

It cannot be that a large Firm like Ebay just treats us like FOOLS !!

Ebay has forgotten  honesty and fairness long time agoCompletely Allof   .

And as I always say : Without sellers there are absolutely no Buyers at all  .

The Defel lays in the Execution !

Message 34 of 51
latest reply

In Canada it is completely  illegal to ask for a  SIN Number but Ebay says you have to provide SIN in order to set up for   MP  . 

If you don 't agree with this fact , you cannot sell anymore .

This firm has really the nervs to treat us as their  Employees .....

What comes next?

It all calls for a big fat Class Action  

Message 35 of 51
latest reply

Completely agree .

Ebay hurts us all - they should get the right Penality !

Class Action please !

Message 36 of 51
latest reply

I think Forbes would disagree with your opinion that the Managed Payments debacle is having a deleterious effect on eBay’s stock value:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2021/07/07/will-the-gains-for-ebays-stock-continue/
Message 37 of 51
latest reply

@happyholidays2019 

You are wrong.

EBay does not demand that we give our SIN.

It is one method of confirming identity and we can use it voluntarily.

But other methods including passports and driving licenses can be used.

There is no need to give the SIN.

Message 38 of 51
latest reply

I get the same story, every time I call ebay.  They say there is a problem with my account,.  When I ask what it is, they cannot tell me what the problem is or how we can fix the issue.  I have not been paid for 4 weeks.  I was paid for the first five weeks and then .  Boom!!!

They say they will get back to me and they don't .

Promised to get back to me on Monday. 

Some agents say theproblem is with ebay.

Message 39 of 51
latest reply

There is a simple soloution to this complex problem.  Let us cancel what ever info has been provided and start over.  In my case I am locked into CDN funds.  I need it to be USD as my fees, listing and USD bank account in Canada all set up in one currency and that is USD.  But Ebay says that is not possible?  Anything is possible, figure it out. Make it happen.

Message 40 of 51
latest reply