Need help to open a USD account in Canada

8 weeks ago I tried to open an ebay account using USD. I was told I needed a Bank in Canada with US Dpllars. I did and sold 2 items but stlil havent’ been paid, After 2 weeks I called ebay for help. Ebay said that’s because I opened a savings account and that wasn’t allowed so I opened a checking account, didn’t work

I’ve called every few days since. These are some of the answers I got : You put in the wrong infor for you bank (I didn’t’) You can’t open a an account from Canada and receive USD payments. I was asked to send them a copy of my bank invoice and they responded,  I didn’t choose to geg paid in USD. I didn’t have the option.

Next I was told to open a new account and as soon as I listed something it would ask me to choose how I wanted to  be paid. Didn’t work.

I called ebay to please talk me through it so I could get it right, and after an hour on the phone trying different things the agent said she coudnt figure it out, She would talk to someone for help and call me in 15 minutes, That was a week ago.

Lasty I was told to open a new account and when it is asked to register to select the USD option at that point. I opened another account and all it asked me was my name address, etc, nothing else.

I need to receive USD because I ship from the US and can’t by shipping labels from the US post office using CDN $$

If there is anyone who can help or let me know who I can contact to help, please let me know

thanks

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Need help to open a USD account in Canada

marnotom!
Community Member
What bank is your US dollar chequing account with? Not all financial institutions work with Managed Payments.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Which bank have you tried to use?

No idea if any of these will work, but here is one blogger's look at some Canadian US$ accounts.

https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/best-usd-dollar-bank-account-options-canada/

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

RBC and they do work with managed p;ayments

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Thanks, but I have that part figured out, My proplem is just to start off with the option to get paid in USD. I have tried 3 times to open a new account, but haven't found that option at any point

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Do you mean that you are starting a new ID and you don't have the option to check payouts in either $US or $C?  As you probably already know, if your current ID was started in Managed Payments with payouts in $C you won't be able to change payout currency.  

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

RBC and they do work with managed p;ayments

Well, yes and no.  If you've been bamboozled by RBC into signing up for their Borderless Banking plan, that's through RBC Bank and not RBC Royal Bank.  RBC Bank is actually a US-based operation of RBC and a chequing account with them won't work with Managed Payments.  So ix-nay to this:

https://www.rbcbank.com/cross-border/us-bank-accounts.html

What I hope you have is an RBC US Dollar Business Account or an RBC US Personal Account.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Andof course -- checking.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I aready have an ebay account, I've had a store for years but I sell a lot of sheet music and ebay charges extra to list these as an auction, but it's free if you don't have a store so I've been trying to open an account just to list my sheet music and books. My account that you see here,  I get paid in USD for this account so it's not a bank problem.  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Yes, starting a new ID from scratch, but can't find the option to use USD at any point

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

I aready have an ebay account, I've had a store for years but I sell a lot of sheet music and ebay charges extra to list these as an auction, but it's free if you don't have a store so I've been trying to open an account just to list my sheet music and books. My account that you see here,  I get paid in USD for this account so it's not a bank problem.  

All well and good, but you haven't answered the question I posed in my post.  What sort of USD account do you have?  If it's not with RBC Royal Bank (Canada) but instead with RBC Bank (USA), it could very well be a bank problem.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I have both

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my question.  What sort of RBC US dollar account is currently linked to your Managed Payments account?

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Because each time I called ebay they told me to do something different so I wound up with a Checking and saving account in USD here in Canada and one in the US

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

What sort of RBC US dollar account is currently linked to your Managed Payments account?

Is it an RBC Borderless Banking account?

Is it an RBC US Dollar Business Account?

Is it an RBC US Personal Account?

Or something different?

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

The last 2 accounts I tried to open have no bank attached to them becuase I can only list in CDN $$ so there was no sense in attatching a bank

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I'm still in the dark about what kind of RBC US dollar account you tried attaching or have attached to your original eBay account.  If you're registered on eBay.ca, you're only going to have the option of using Canadian dollars as your listing currency.  You can, however, still list on the .com site if you want your listings and payments in US dollars.  I'm just not sure how the option of attaching a Canadian USD account works if you have a new ID.  There's part of me that's wondering if that option was intended for established users who registered on the .com site back in the day and it isn't being offered to users with brand spanking new IDs.

So to make sure I'm understanding this, you're not receiving payments right now on your @bunbar account?

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

On the bunbar account I'm fine, and get paid in USD. to my USD account in Canada, 8 weeks ago I opened an account under kingfan52. That's where I've been trying to get paid, I was told since I choose to get paid in CDN $$ (I didn't) I can't change it , so I wanted to open a new account get paid in USD and close this one since It's not what I need

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Well, for what it's worth, I just opened up an ID I've had since December 2000.  I logged into the .com site and was redirected to the .ca site when I indicated I wanted to add a chequing account.  I entered the information I had for the US dollar chequing account I have with my credit union and I'm now waiting to see whether or not if I get my microdeposits.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I did that,  but I never got the micro deposits, After 8 weeks of them telliing me to try different things, they told me if I didn't choose USD to begin with, I'd never get money in that account, So I hope you had the options to choose a USD account at the beginning

Message 20 of 23
latest reply