Am I being scammed? How would you deal with this? Advice please.

Hi -  Just wondering how I should deal with the following situation.

A buyer purchased an item a week ago and I shipped it in a bubble envelope as I have been doing for the past 12 years.  Today I receive a message stating the item was damaged and can I send them another copy.  Since I don't have another copy to send them, should I just refund?

The thing that makes me suspicious about the situation Is that the buyer emailed me shortly after buying it saying the following-

"Please send it to me very well packaged so that I don’t get it broken in any way possible."  I sent it as I mentioned above in a bubble envelope.  Never had any arrive broken in 12 years, this is the first one.  The buyer also has no feedback as they joined ebay the same day they purchased the item.

Now maybe I am being overly suspicious, but it just seems a bit odd how events have unfolded.  What would you do?  The item was not valuable and shipping was only a few dollars.  I figure I'd loose about $7 if I just refund.  Should I wait till they open a case?  I wonder if this new member plans on doing this to other sellers?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  slight_smile

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Respond" I regret you are not happy with the Thing. Please return for a full refund."

If he returns it (on his own dime) refund.

If he demands a partial refund, respond " I regret you are not happy with the Thing. Please return for a full refund."

If he demands a replacement, respond " I regret you are not happy with the Thing. Please return for a full refund."

If he opens a Not As Described dispute, respond in the Dispute " I regret you are not happy with the Thing. Please return for a full refund."

If he opens the Dispute, you will probably be told by eBay to send return shipping.

This is easy with a Canadian buyer. There is a Refund link on the Paypal payment.

If he is in the USA, you can go to Shippo (you may have to open an account and you will need a Canada Post Small Business Solutions number, which is free from Canada Post and gives you a 5% discount on many purchases.). Shippo will sell you a USPS return shipping label.

Send him the label as a pdf.

If he uses it, refund when the item is returned.

If he does not use it, eBay will not enforce the refund and eventually you will get the cost of the label back.

The point is, no Refunds without Return.

Side note: If he loses a Dispute, he cannot leave feedback.

This is probably more than you need to know as an experienced seller, but newbies read these posts for advice too.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the quick response femme. Good advice as always. I am aware that newbies read the posts, but I did not identify any particular member so hopefully it won't be an issue. Thanks again.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

There is no real way of knowing if you are being scammed or not.  You could ask for a picture of the 'damaged' item although the buyer isn't required to send one. 

In the past I would suggest that you tell the buyer to open a return request, but now that snad's are going to count against us, that is something to think twice about.  If you truly think they are not being honest you could tell them to return for a refund and if they are just trying to get the item for free then they are less likely to open a return or to send it back for a return.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I don't think that Femme mentioned newbies as a suggestion that the buyer might read this. She was giving advice for a new seller that might be reading this thread.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The first thing I would do is ask for a photo of the damage. If the buyer sends one and it is really damaged, I would refund immediately.

If the buyer refuse to send a picture, I would simply say "please return for refund".

And start from there.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Hi I sell CD's and on at least 2 occasions, I have had the buyer contact me that the item was damaged.  One the CD was broken in half, the shipping envelope with my writing, had a huge print of a tire wheel on it.  The buyer sent those pictures and I refunded fully.  The other was in a digipak, brand new and it got crushed, the CD was fine but the digipak was ruined.  They sent pictures and I refunded fully.  

Just ask for pictures, most buyers don't have a problem with that and then refund fully.  Not worth to spend any more time on it for a $7.00 item plus shipping.  

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

OK, folks I am starting to think I am being scammed.  I messaged the buyer and asked them to return the item for a refund as I do not have another copy to send them as they requested in their initial message.  They replied stating that they had thrown out the DVD and just kept the case as the case was in perfect condition.  They then asked again if I could send them another copy.  Now the DVD was factory sealed, so how could the DVD be cracked and the case remain in perfect condition?  Would not the case be also cracked or broken?  What do you folks think?

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I just realized the buyer has 2 accounts.  The account they used to buy the item was opened last week.  However the account associated with the messages I received today asking for a second copy of the DVD is different and was opened in 2014!  This is a bit odd.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I would just refund and place both on block list. I can’t be bothered for a small amount these days.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

That probably is good advice for such a small amount is it worth getting negative feedback.  

On the other hand, you could say send it back and I will refund you.  You then will have to live with the consequences.  I don't know what ebay's position is on the buyer not sending the item back.  They may or may not side with you.  

Also how is he sending messages to you from another account.  It should be on the same account as he purchased it so ebay can track. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Many of us have 2 accounts. They may have just gotten confused which one they used for the purchase.  Ask them to contact you through the ID they used for the purchase.

For me, a buyer that says they threw the item away brings up red flags.  They are either being dishonest or very naive about how the world works.  

The problem with refunding without a return return is that if they are being dishonest, it encourages them to do the same thing again.  But ultimately it is up to you on how to handle it.  If you tell them to return and they don’t, eBay will not make you refund but they may not protect you from a negative either.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yes it sounds like you are being scammed, it is up to you how you proceed.. For myself i would pay back the 7.50$ as apposed to facing a negative feedback..  i know everything you think is send it back, send me a photo, but in the long run, why bother.. for 7.50$ i would just wash my hands and be done with it, then after feedback has been received, i would block the buyer.. But don't block them until they have left you satisfactory feedback..

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Could they not still leave a negative even if I refund them?
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

As I said in my previous post I told him to return it and he replied saying  he threw the item away.  So that makes a return impossible.  How he is sending ebay messages through a different account is a mystery to me, but he is.  I could just refund him, but he could probably still leave negative feedback.  Also if he is a scammer and gets away with it there is nothing stopping him from doing it again. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I would call ebay on monday and speak with them.  They may be able to give you some advice. 

You could also ask the buyer what was he expecting you to do?  Make sure you send it through ebay messages to the ebay name he used to purchase the item. 

Say something like:

I am so sorry that it arrived broken.  The item was new still in wrapping.  If there is an issue with the item in order to get a refund I will need you to return the item.   I have spoken to ebay and they told me to get you to return the item.   As soon as I receive it back and it shows that it was damaged I will refund fully.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I think I would call ebay on this one. The buyer is scamming you. Two accounts, threw item away? Nope. eBay Customer Service should tell you how best to proceed to protect your funds and reputation. It’s only $7.50 but a refund to make the buyer disappear will only encourage them to keep trying with other sellers and even with you again via another new account.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I reread the buyers last email and they don't actually ask for a refund at all. Seems odd but maybe they are an eccentric person who doesn't really care. This is definitely one of the strangest transactions I've ever had on ebay. I thought of calling customer service on Monday, but given their track record of giving sellers incorrect information I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. I might just wait and see if the buyer files an claim and deal with it then.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

...  Now the DVD was factory sealed, so how could the DVD be cracked and the case remain in perfect condition?  Would not the case be also cracked or broken?  What do you folks think?

Yes, that can happen.

Such as when the assembly machine tries to insert an off center dvd into the case. Sometimes it is the hub that gives way, other times the dvd. Worst one I've seen was a dvd that had a dimple about 2cm from the inner edge, where the machine had tried pushing the hub through... Smiley Surprised

I'm a small seller, so I can take the time to apply the shake, rattle and roll test to new sealed dvd products -- if it doesn't sound right I open it up for inspection. Of course, that downgrades the product to used status so I use with care.  Usually I only find loose discs (floaters) and dvd cases where pieces have broken loose. Actual cracked discs are rare.

-..-

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Never had this happen (at least no buyer ever mentioned anything). Good to know though. Thanks again.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply