Beta Shipping Rate tables

Anyone tried or have comments on the new BETA shipping rates tables options for Canada. Not really sure what the advantage is other than they have somewhat incorporated carriers as an option, but they don't link to a carrier calculator and you would need to enter individual rates.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/shipping-returns/shipping-rate-tables.html

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Beta Shipping Rate tables

If I relied on flat-rate shipping, I'd be very excited to give this a go, but I'm pleased with Calculated Shipping and have it set-up on ebay Canada to my satisfaction.

I think these flat-rate zones are an excellent feature to bring to ebay but making it work relies heavily on seller-initiated knowledge. Like, the seller has to do all the research into regions and pricing and carriers. Which is fine, I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm wondering if the average seller is invested enough in their business model using flat-rate to devote the time required to do that amount of research and calculating. 

I suspect many sellers would rather shipping preferences were set automagically to know what's right and wrong. In some imaginary world where a Product Catalogue were flawless, that might happen: ebay would know what I'm selling and precisely how big and heavy it is, what size box it fits into, what amount of void full is required, my carriers and services of preference; it could all be automated based on manufacturer's settings incorporated into the catalogue used during listing creation. But that day too is a loooooong way away. 

I hope this experiment works and I hope there are sellers out there already using flat-rate who are willing to give the beta a try. I think it could be lovely if it were set-up and running smoothly. Maybe even better than Calculated Shipping. 

Certainly, it allows sellers to incorporate service by couriers into their workflow in a meaningful manner. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

As noted previously, the Beta Shipping rate table is based on actual weights but does not factor in any discrepancy for dimensions of your package where dim rates apply to a service. Also, there was no note to what happens when there are rate increases. Would you have to go back and do the research over and have to update all of your listings within a short time window? What would you use as a rate if a customer wanted to buy multiples of the same item or combine on shipping?

-CM

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I didn’t write the beta but I’d assume the seller needs to calculate their own volumetric weight. Ask Tyler or Happy if these tables function in conjunction with the existing Combined Shipping preferences. At least, that’s what I’d do if I needed answers as opposed to posing rhetorical questions.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

“Also, there was no note to what happens when there are rate increases. Would you have to go back and do the research over and have to update all of your listings within a short time window? ”

What does a seller using flat-rate do now when there are rate increases?

They update their flat-rate Shipping preferences. Or alter handling fees. Right?
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Why there is no reason for me to ever consider using Flat Rate. No advantages for my product mix. Similar to replacing a rock with another rock. Was just giving my personal comments on the Beta shipping tool.

-CM

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Given your previous posts on the necessity of expanding shipping options on eBay, my assumption was that this was an area of interest to you for business purposes, not that you sought information for the purposes of asking. 

Regardless, the best way to gain answers to questions is to pose them to the right people. As in the ones who can answer them. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

As pointed out shortly after Sellers Hub was released in Canada, (Months ago???) the Calculate Shipping tab for active listings still brings you to a dot com calculator with measurements in imperial and only accepts US zip codes for ship from locations. Link attached. Use any of your current listings to check results.

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator?isOrder=false&parentPageName=ListingConsoleActive&itemId=

-CM

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

What need would I have to do that? This is a thread about the Beta Rate tables.

Canada Post is the source for flat-rate costs. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

That and any other carrier of choice. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

First. let me say I've not even looked at this feature yet but it would seem to me that it's likely to benefit most those that are shipping the same items repeatedly. Vintage and OOAK sellers probably won't find something like this all that useful although book sellers might benefit. Maybe they could setup 3 or 4 flat rates and be fairly confident of their accuracy,

The gap between regional and national rates is widening with every rate increase so this feature is a good idea if developed properly. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

PERHAPS, when Ebay comes up with a shipping tool, that adds, in the 10% i lose to fees, i will consider using that one.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

That's easily done with a 10 per cent handling fee, isn't it? 

If I needed to use flat-rate, I'd be testing the heck out of this beta. I think it's a great initiative but, like I said, I have everything I need with Calculated Shipping through Canada Post.

But for those sellers who want to input courier services into their workflow, this is the way to do it. It's like setting up your own calculated shipping tool using your carrier of choice.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/shipping-returns/shipping-rate-tables.html 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

(Oh, I see the link was already provided. Don't mind me, I'm trying overly much to be helpful.)

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

how do you easily add in a 10% handling fee, without the buyer asking why did shipping go up.. or is it you just add the 10% to the shipping cost.. I have never used a handling fee.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I don’t use a handling fee either, I build my costs into the asking price including ‘free’ postage where possible too which is (as we all know) a bit of a shell game.

The bit with handling fees is part of the item listing form. You might have to enable the field via customization of the page. I’ll do screenshots tomorrow if you want, I’m not at my desk right now and mobile devices can’t upload images to Community. At least, mine cannot.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Hi there 

I checked them today and this is good only for flat rate shipping if you offer in your listing.

The only good part is that you could exclude some provinces .Something that we didnt have before .Its look like shipping tables that the River offer but not done so well.

We shou;ld have the option to make them by group product and then you attach to the group which will be perfect.But eBay give us the option of only one shipping table so if you are like me shipping items with different volume this table will not work for you .

I exclude today some rural areas and the provinces .Will keep you update on what happened .

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I opted in as I'm a low volume seller, use flat rate shipping prices and have on several occasions paid to sell an item because it was bought by someone in the north of Canada.

It seemed pretty straight forward - I choose the surcharge option and added an additional charge for each area of Canada based on the Canada Post calculator. I checked the "Apply shipping rate table" option on my shipping profiles and....it didn't work. I made three tables, one for each expedited, economy and standard to cover the bases. I just made a sale to someone in Yukon and it didn't add the surcharge for that area.

I've tried to see what I did wrong, but not sure. I also received an email from "ShippingRateTables" that was claiming to be from an eBay employee and wanted to call and get my opinion on the tables and help me "link the shipping rate table to my listings" If it was legit, it was a sketchy way of contacting. I've found no other way to connect the tables to listings other than the checkbox in the shipping profiles.

Oh well.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Interesting. Can you report that to the Weekly Chat? It's open right now for a limited time only and a direct link to ebay staff. https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-7th-2018-Weekly-Session/m-p/412069#M6893

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I have been using flat rate shipping for about 10 years now but as my eBay sales dropped nearly 80% about 2 years ago, and I am now a once in awhile, from time to time, now and then, occasional seller on eBay, my own flat rate shipping system will remain intact as I continue to use for the duration of my selling days here on eBay.  I have no desire to engage in what eBay is offering as their solution, nor will I mess with what already works for me.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply