Buyer Paid with ApplePay -- Awaiting Payment -- but amount in Processing. Should I wait to ship?

Dear eBay sellers,

I have sold an item. The buyer paid with ApplePay. I did not receive a notification of payment yet but a screenshot of the payment. The item still states: "Awaiting Payment." I went to the Payments section on Seller Hub and the amount (with deducted fees) is under "Processing." I am assuming I should wait until it is cleared to ship the item out, correct? Or should I mark the item as Payment Received?

I apologize if this is somewhere in the forum. This is the first time this happened to me. Thank you for all your help!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Buyer Paid with ApplePay -- Awaiting Payment -- but amount in Processing. Should I wait to ship?

Don't confuse the Payments section in Seller Hub with the buyer's payment. In Payments the "processing" means the "payment" being released to you is being processed by eBay and usually takes a couple of days, that is not the buyer's payment method still processing.

If it is the buyer's payment itself still being processed (would show as an hour glass where paid should be) then I would wait, but processing there usually only takes a couple of hours at most.

You can still wait until your "payment" is processed and sent to your bank to ship if you are waiting for the money to pay for shipping but otherwise if the buyer's payment has cleared you don't have to wait for your payment to be processed to your bank from eBay.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Don't confuse the Payments section in Seller Hub with the buyer's payment. In Payments the "processing" means the "payment" being released to you is being processed by eBay and usually takes a couple of days, that is not the buyer's payment method still processing.

If it is the buyer's payment itself still being processed (would show as an hour glass where paid should be) then I would wait, but processing there usually only takes a couple of hours at most.

You can still wait until your "payment" is processed and sent to your bank to ship if you are waiting for the money to pay for shipping but otherwise if the buyer's payment has cleared you don't have to wait for your payment to be processed to your bank from eBay.

Doing a quick search it states that apple pay can take 1 to 3 days to process. I would base shipping on seeing payment has arrived in eBay and that would also be confirmed by receiving either the item sold email or payment arrived email. I would personally be nervous to ship based on a screenshot. Payment received in eBay should be the deciding factor.

How long does pending payment take on Apple pay?
Also, remember that purchases can take 1-3 days, sometimes more, to clear with the bank. Pending means, it has not been charged to your bank account yet.Aug 28, 2021

-Lotz
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Thanks lotz! I didn't realize Apple Pay took longer (days), don't think anyone has ever paid me that way. Always something to learn! No, I wouldn't trust a screenshot either, that must have been the buyer trying to show they had tried paying at least.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I didn't realize that buyers could pay by any other method than managed payments. I had a buyer wanting to pay with Paypal and I told her that it could only be done through MP. I am wondering now if I was wrong.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I didn't realize that buyers could pay by any other method than managed payments. I had a buyer wanting to pay with Paypal and I told her that it could only be done through MP. I am wondering now if I was wrong.

MP is for sellers only and has zippity do da to do with buyers methods of payment. Many/most still pay using PayPal or a credit card attached to their PayPal. So run, don't walk and get back to that potential sale and let them know you appreciate their business. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@liliamara866 wrote:

Dear eBay sellers,

I have sold an item. The buyer paid with ApplePay. I did not receive a notification of payment yet but a screenshot of the payment. The item still states: "Awaiting Payment." I went to the Payments section on Seller Hub and the amount (with deducted fees) is under "Processing." I am assuming I should wait until it is cleared to ship the item out, correct? Or should I mark the item as Payment Received?

I apologize if this is somewhere in the forum. This is the first time this happened to me. Thank you for all your help!

Never ship something out until ebay tells you it's time to ship it. There's lots of scams with people sending "screenshots" of fake payments. If it's showing under "Awaiting Shipment", send it out. If it's showing under "Awaiting Payment", wait.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@triber wrote:

@triber 

As Snoopwiz noted paypal is only a problem if the buyer tries to pay you directly to you via  paypal. (Bypassing eBay payment methods.) Otherwise normal Paypal payments are cleared through MP. Apple Pay is just another method, just like MC/ Visa, Google Pay. The only  method of payment that Canadian sellers don't have access to is the Discover Card. US Sellers do. (For some unknown reason). Amazon accepts also.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

If that sale is showing in sellers hub/orders awaiting shipment, that means that the buyer's payment has been approved and it is safe to ship it.  If it is showing in sellers hub / awaiting payment then you should not ship it until it has been paid.  To be covered for an item not received claim you must use signature confirmation for a transaction of $750+. 

Was it the buyer who sent you the screenshot?   That's an odd thing for them to do so it might make me a bit more cautious.  Where is the buyer located and which carrier and service are you using? If it is to the US you will need to use Xpresspost to get a signature.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

You might want to think about shipping expensive items just to the US and Canada. Or at least eliminate higher risk countries.  Canada Post may not have a service requiring a signature for all countries so you should consider that as well when selling expensive items.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@liliamara866 

I'm curious, how do you know the buyer used ApplePay?

Presuming they actually did you still don't know if they paid with a credit card or bank debit just like PayPal ApplePay is just a digital wallet that shields the actual payment details from the seller being paid.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thank you all SO much for your reply! You have all been very helpful with your information, I honestly appreciate it. 🙂 As an update, it seems the payment did not go through at all (ApplePay), unfortuately. I believe PayPal is the best method of payment and will advise my buyers to just use that. Thank you again. 🙂

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@liliamara866 wrote:

Thank you all SO much for your reply! You have all been very helpful with your information, I honestly appreciate it. 🙂As an update, it seems the payment did not go through at all (ApplePay), unfortuately. I believe PayPal is the best method of payment and will advise my buyers to just use that. Thank you again. 🙂

As @recped pointed out, Apple Pay is just a digital wallet.  The problem was more likely with the payment instrument attached to that wallet than with Apple Pay itself, so it's quite possible that if that payment instrument is used with PayPal it's not going to go through either.

For what it's worth, when Managed Payments was getting established I was reading articles on it that indicate that eBay's agreement with PayPal for use as a payment option will expire this summer.  What happens next is anyone's guess.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@liliamara866 wrote:

Thank you all SO much for your reply! You have all been very helpful with your information, I honestly appreciate it. 🙂As an update, it seems the payment did not go through at all (ApplePay), unfortuately. I believe PayPal is the best method of payment and will advise my buyers to just use that. Thank you again. 🙂

As @recped pointed out, Apple Pay is just a digital wallet.  The problem was more likely with the payment instrument attached to that wallet than with Apple Pay itself, so it's quite possible that if that payment instrument is used with PayPal it's not going to go through either.

For what it's worth, when Managed Payments was getting established I was reading articles on it that indicate that eBay's agreement with PayPal for use as a payment option will expire this summer.  What happens next is anyone's guess.

The pudding and link below.

https://www.salehoo.com/blog/ebay-breaks-it-off-with-paypal

PayPal to remain as a payment option

Sellers that rely on PayPal to conduct business on eBay don’t have to worry about being left behind.

PayPal will remain as a payment option on eBay until July 2023, allowing plenty of time for sellers to transition to the new system.

eBay says that “PayPal will remain an important partner”.

It seems that PayPal will continue to have a place on eBay, it will just be less prominent.

Sharing more data

It will be business as usual for sellers on eBay during the transition process.

However, eBay says that sellers should expect to provide them with “some additional payments-related data and transition to a new relationship with eBay that includes integrated payments capabilities”.

New terms, which came into action on 1 June 2021, say the new payment system is compulsory, and that the company has the power to limit or remove listings from sellers who refuse to use it.

This won’t happen immediately, but eBay expects that the transition for sellers will occur prior to July 2021.

With an estimated 25 million sellers on eBay, this transition will take some time to complete.

Reaction to the eBay-PayPal breakup

The move from PayPal to Adyen has, for the most part, been met with uncertainty within the eBay community.

Sellers have shared concerns about eBay potentially taking control of their money, fees, and sharing payments-related data with a foreign company.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Noted in that above story:

Adyen’s service extends to more than 150 currencies and over 200 methods of payments, which provides increased flexibility for eBay users.

Wonder how long before eBay sellers will see additional payment methods added to the fold?

-Lotz

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Wonder how long before eBay sellers will see additional payment methods added to the fold?

I don't think it's really necessary for Adyen to add payment methods if buyers are using Apple Pay or Google Pay.  If a US buyer has, say, a Discover card in their Apple Pay wallet and wants to purchase an item from Canada, shouldn't they be able to use Apple Pay and make the payment from their Discover card that way?

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

I don't think it's really necessary for Adyen to add payment methods if buyers are using Apple Pay or Google Pay.  If a US buyer has, say, a Discover card in their Apple Pay wallet and wants to purchase an item from Canada, shouldn't they be able to use Apple Pay and make the payment from their Discover card that way?

@marnotom! 

I'm just thinking it would be more up to eBay to offer more options for ebay buyers to pay. Making it easier and maybe influence more completed sales. Versus eliminating options. As a buyer in the past, because I had money in PayPal I purchased. I really don't like being forced to use my CC. And I know many other sellers/buyers feel the same way. I just takes too darned long to transfer funds to PayPal. Now I rarely buy anything via eBay. 

Choice is not a bad thing!! I reference 100 years ago when if you wanted a Model T you could get it in any color.....as long as it was black.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 17
latest reply