Buyer from HK uses forwarding agent. Claims not received. Gets a refund.

Well that really shows how important sellers are to eBay.

• I sold a LP record end of January. Not a collector's but it was still $75.
  • Buyer is registered in Hong Kong but shipping address was a forwarding agent in Delaware.
  • I clearly state in my listings that items under $100 ship 1st Class Mail without a tracking number.
  • Next thing I know last week I get a claim from buyer for item not received.
  • I try to communicate twice with the buyer. No reply.
  • So eBay "steps in". And I just received an email that they refunded the buyer because I did not provide a tracking number.

I know from experience that forwarding agents may take WEEKS to deliver to final destination especially if they are consolidating items. Imagine how long it would have taken to ship this package 1st Class from Canada to Hong Kong.

The thing that's infuriating me is that I got no other option than to refund the buyer. The money was locked in my Paypal account since the beginning. And now it's just gone.

So because a **bleep** doesn't read the fine print, uses a forwarding agent, and claims he did not receive the item after an unreasonable delay I'm out for $75. It's OK I can still pay the rent but I find eBay's practice totally dishonest and disgusting.

Makes me want to find some random items on eBay that ship without a tracking. Buy them, and  get my money back in a few weeks by claiming they were "not received". Too easy!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyer from HK uses forwarding agent. Claims not received. Gets a refund.

Tracked Packet  was introduced when the adjustment to Small Packet was made.

It was Canada Post's choice to do this.

Tracked Packed had tracking as well as insurance

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

My disappointment with Tracked Packet is not even the cost which recently has been adjusted downward for lighter weights but its limitation to merely 31 coubtries.
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@femmefan1946wrote:

@cumos55

Canada Post  insured small packet... that did not have  tracking .... and eventually the cost of insurance claims killed insured Small Packet

... But this is now. And Canada Post has learned that their future is parcel delivery. Is it time to revive an insured (or at least tracked) Small Packet service at a very small premium, like 75 cents to $1.00 ?

What would be the cheapest Canada Post could do it for even just the USA? Could the  private -industry- trained senior staff wrap their heads around a non-profit service?

I believe Shippo's third party insurance offers coverage for Small Packet. I remember last summer one of the other posters was wondering about the extra cost for their shipment and they had bought insurance by accident.

One of the changes Canada Post made in 2017(?) was requiring signature for insurance over $100.

-..-

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

I clearly state in my listings that items under $100 ship 1st Class Mail without a tracking number. 

With that statement in your listings you are just asking to get ripped off! I'm surprised it's not happening to you more!

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

"Makes me want to find some random items on eBay that ship without a tracking. Buy them, and  get my money back in a few weeks by claiming they were "not received". Too easy!"

Third point: Ebay logs how many INR claims a user has on their account and takes measures to halt purchasing when they become what ebay considers to be excessive. 

I realize I'm chiming in a bit late here but I thought I would add something here. While ebay tracks the metric, they don't really do much with linked accounts in this respect. There is a particular individual active in the niche I sell is that is known for pulling the INR routine, often in less than a week. He has at least 3 registered ebay accounts I am aware of and the guest checkout remains another avenue as well. Those 3 linked accounts have been reported in the past and yet they all remain active. They have at least been making noise from an executive level that they know they have a buyer problem with a percentage of the user base. 

Your suggestion on shipping everything with tracking is spot on. Since move everything to 100% tracked I've only had a handful of situations to deal with, each of which was either just a newer buyer that needed a bit of reassurance or genuine once in a blue moon postal misadventures. When you have tracking ebay is generally as fair as they can be (there are always the buyer said/seller said situations that you can't independently mediate without being a board certified Oracle) , with the caveat that everything is best resolved/discussed with a phone call to North American customer service. 

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@ypdc_denniswrote:

@femmefan1946wrote:

@cumos55

Canada Post  insured small packet... that did not have  tracking .... and eventually the cost of insurance claims killed insured Small Packet

... But this is now. And Canada Post has learned that their future is parcel delivery. Is it time to revive an insured (or at least tracked) Small Packet service at a very small premium, like 75 cents to $1.00 ?

What would be the cheapest Canada Post could do it for even just the USA? Could the  private -industry- trained senior staff wrap their heads around a non-profit service?

I believe Shippo's third party insurance offers coverage for Small Packet. I remember last summer one of the other posters was wondering about the extra cost for their shipment and they had bought insurance by accident.

One of the changes Canada Post made in 2017(?) was requiring signature for insurance over $100.

-..-

That would make sense as Shipsurance/Insurepost will insure any Canada Post services for packages and just require an indication of acceptance of the package, which if all else fails a photocopy of the shipping label with a stamp of acceptance always works. If they are offering the option through Shippo it is probably cheaper than purchasing direct as they typically offer a commercial rate to shipping platforms.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply