Buyer requested refund because they didn't receive item. I have no experience with this...

They just submitted a refund request an hour ago as they didn't receive the item. I checked the USPS tracking (I use stallion express) and it shows it was delivered yesterday at 1pm to the "front desk/reception/mail room".

I assume this is some scam or something. How do I beat this? Is this a case where I should message the facebook ebay support for guidance since my tracking that I uploaded shows as delivered?

The refund request just came in an hour ago, I have done nothing yet and will do nothing until I consider the advice from those who know more than I do on this topic.

TIA

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer requested refund because they didn't receive item. I have no experience with this...

Despite the fact that the item shows the tracking on the item make sure to put it in the case, this is an odd yet necessary step.

As far as I know if you have tracking that shows delivery and you've put it (again) in the actual case you are good.

Make sure to do this before the due date and if the due date says November 19th they mean November 19th at 12:01 AM, ie make sure to do it before midnight on the 18th. I learned that one the hard way.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Buyer requested refund because they didn't receive item. I have no experience with this...

I clicked the "update tracking details for the buyer" option on the request, and entered the tracking info once more. It now shows the tracking info in the "case history".

Is there anything more I need to do, or will it resolve automatically now that I've done this?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@canada_goose_whisperer 

Well, I'm not sure. I've only had one of these in the memorable past (usually I don't have tracking so I'm toast)

I did what you did then I called my expensive but pretty good anchor store "special" CSRs who just zapped it then and there for me, so I don't know how the "natural" process works.

I'm sure there are others who've been through the natural process, or if you've got "days" left yet before the due date you can wait to see if it autozaps it overnight tonight?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You could also try contacting the buyer and sending them a screenshot of the tracking. Ask them to check at wherever it says it was dropped off and see if they have it there.  I also remember a lot of reports last year about the USPS marking items as delivered when they were still in the mail. Apparently they have performance metrics they have to meet, so if it's looking a little iffy they *may* fudge things to avoid inquiries and penalties. It might show up in a day or so.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The first thing to know is that you should be covered because the tracking shows the item as delivered. Add the tracking to the case. Because this is your first INR case, I would also recommend contacting eBay via phone or live chat to double check that you added the tracking properly and that you are covered. You can do so by going to the following link, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and clicking chat with us, or have us call you. https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/help-buyer-item-didnt-receive?id=4116

From there, you should reach out to the buyer. It is possible that the buyer's package was delivered to the wrong apartment or unit number. Or something got lost in translation. I don't think it is particularly nice that they opened an INR before contacting you for assistance, but it is also possible that they aren't familiar with how eBay works and assumed opening an INR was the proper thing to do. I would ask them to confirm that the address they provided at checkout was correct, and to check their mail room. If the address was correct and the package is not available, you should be able to open a missing mail report with USPS. 

It is possible that this is a scam, but it wouldn't be a very good one. I think it is more likely that the item was delivered to the wrong apartment mail box, or that USPS has not delivered it yet but it somehow got marked as delivered (which I have seen happen). If it is the latter, it might show up in a day or two. If a missing mail report is too complicated, you might be able to contact Stallion directly and have them handle that.

Even if it turns out the item is missing, you most likely won't be required to refund the buyer because securing the package at their home is their responsibility, not yours. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The only way it is likely to be a scam is if it is a transaction over $750 and there was no signature confirmation.

I have had USPS packages marked as delivered, the buyer contacts me because it wasn't delivered, and it arrives a day or two later. So I can confirm what you said about that does happen. 

Packages do sometimes go missing in apartments if they are small enough to fit in the mail boxes. Mail carriers aren't perfect, and they might put a package in the wrong mailbox. In a perfect world, the person would return the package, but that doesn't always happen.

Like anything, it is possible that it is a scam but it is highly unlikely. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

it shows it was delivered yesterday at 1pm to the "front desk/reception/mail room".

In addition to putting the tracking Proof of Delivery into the Dispute, politely Message the buyer and ask them to go to the "front desk/reception/mail room" of their address and ask for their parcel.

You might also Google the address to see if it is a business or an apartment building to make your Message more precise.
The problem may not be with USPS but with a careless or crooked person at the address.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Second the suggestion to contact eBay, saying it is your first INR and you want to ensure that you have correctly added the tracking info, 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I contacted the facebook support, and they told me I'm all good. After about 3 days, they said i should see an "escalate" button on the case. I can click that and they will close the case in my favour. They said as well if I didn't see the "escalate" buttton after 3 days, I can just contact them again on facebook and they can do it for me on their end. Either way achieves the same outcome.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Good shout. I'll have a look on google and see if I can figure out where approximately the mailman would've put the package (assuming it was actually delivered).

The buyer didn't bother to message me before opening the case, so I doubt I'll get a response back but I'll try messaging them anyways and suggest they have a look in the mailroom for it.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Agreed. Contacting ebay on FB was a good suggestion. The lady took my order number and looked into it, after which reassured me I was covered because the tracking shows as delivered. She said I'll be able to escalate the case in about 3 days or so to get it closed in my favour.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I haven't had many inr cases when tracking showed as delivered but when I did, I didn't  have to escalate or to call. Once the tracking has been reintered  for an inr case, they closed the case in a couple of days. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply