Buyer wants me to lie on customs form

My auction recently ended and was "sniped" at the last minute by a buyer registered in China with an address in the UK. They have not yet paid and have asked me to state the value as $45 - the item sold for over $1000 *sigh*. I responded politely saying that this would be dishonest etc... they are still asking me to undervalue the item as I assume want to avoid VAT. The buyer has good feedback (and I have 100% positive with over 20 years of selling). Any advise?  Thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Don’t. Only risk is on you.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

How do you plan on insuring the item?  Some insurers won't allow the exporter to insure the item for more than its declared value.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Definitely don't do it. Report and block them. You could get in serious trouble for that, and European countries aren't messing around right now.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

" I regret that the eBay shipping label will only print the purchase price of the item. If you would prefer to cancel the transaction I can do this immediately."

Also ask for his UK  VAT number , which may also be on the shipping label if he were doing this correctly.  Even if he has included it in his address, ask anyway.  Belt and braces, eh?

The buyer is also asking for something that is not included in the transaction, and I believe this would also allow you to cancel the transaction with no defects.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If their address is in the UK the invoice will likely have VAT added to it already.  You should be able to see that by going to order details. But they might still be liable for UK duty.  I wouldn't be willing to change the value on the item. I would just tell them you're sorry but that ebay doesn't allow you to do that.

Also, there are a couple of other problems with this transaction.  To be covered by ebay seller protection any transaction for C$750or more needs to have a signature required when delivered. According to the CP calculator, xpresspost and Priority have signature included but I would doublecheck that with the post office.  Both are more expensive than the method you chose of international surface.   International surface does not have a signature requirement available. Plus, the ebay estimated delivery date for that service is way out as Canada Post gives a delivery estimate of 1 to 2 months.  It's very possible that the buyer will file a claim within 30 days of the expected delivery date and win as the item would not be delivered.

With an item this expensive and the buyer being a bit shady, I would seriously think about cancelling the transaction even though its not something that I normally suggest. I can't find the wording on ebay but I believe that it is against policy for the buyer to ask you to do this change the value on the customs form so you are within your right to cancel it.

Perhapsdevon@ebay can confirm that a seller is within their right to cancl when a buyer asks the seller to lie on the customs form?  If you, which reason would they use? Problem with address?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Also ask for his UK VAT number , which may also be on the shipping label if he were doing this correctly. Even if he has included it in his address, ask anyway.

It's not the buyer's VAT number that should be on the label, it is eBay's VAT number.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

You did the right thing.  If there is an issue with customs and it gets into a system, it is you who will be flagged forever since you filled in the form and sent it.   

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If their address is in the UK the invoice will likely have VAT added to it already.  You should be able to see that by going to order details. But they might still be liable for UK duty.  I wouldn't be willing to change the value on the item. I would just tell them you're sorry but that ebay doesn't allow you to do that.

Also, there are a couple of other problems with this transaction.  To be covered by ebay seller protection any transaction for C$750or more needs to have a signature required when delivered. According to the CP calculator, xpresspost and Priority have signature included but I would doublecheck that with the post office.  Both are more expensive than the method you chose of international surface.   International surface does not have a signature requirement available. Plus, the ebay estimated delivery date for that service is way out as Canada Post gives a delivery estimate of 1 to 2 months.  It's very possible that the buyer will file a claim within 30 days of the expected delivery date and win as the item would not be delivered.

With an item this expensive and the buyer being a bit shady, I would seriously think about cancelling the transaction even though its not something that I normally suggest. I can't find the wording on ebay but I believe that it is against policy for the buyer to ask you to do this change the value on the customs form so you are within your right to cancel it.

Perhapsdevon@ebay can confirm that a seller is within their right to cancl when a buyer asks the seller to lie on the customs form?  If you, which reason would they use? Problem with address?

Hi @pjcdn2005! In this case scenario the seller would be within policy to cancel the transaction. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Much ado... Cancel and block.

No brainer.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Dishonesty does not pay!  neither does altering the value of the item as that voids any insurance value should the need to file a claim come into play if there be any damage/loss in transit. Unfortunately, those kind of buyers are NOT worth having despite their feedback rating...

Cancel the sale, block the user and carry on!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply