Can I list an item for sale in US$ on eBay Canada?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

No.

Only $C on .CA

Only $US on .COM

If you want to list in US$ it has to be on .COM

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sadly that is no longer an option on Ebay dot ca as of June 2016. If you would like to list in US funds you still can, but can only do so on eBay dot com using either free shipping or building shipping into your prices.

-CM

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I don't agree with this statement: "...but can only do so on eBay dot com using either free shipping or building shipping into your prices." 

Doing so may work for some sellers, for some categories and for some items, but I don't believe it applies to everything and every seller...

I still list on eBay dotCOM and use NEITHER Free Shipping or building any or all the shipping into my prices when listing on dotCOM. I use flat rate shipping for listings on BOTH dotCA and dotCOM and have been doing so for over 10 years. I ship very little outside of Canada using expedited parcel. I mostly use Letter rate, oversize letter rate, small packet, tracked packet on occasion.

Sellers can work out the method that suits their needs, but there are choices...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@fragile_bloom_232

@mrdutch1001is right.

Only on eBay Canada can we use Calculated Shipping.

On any other site we have to use Flat Rate Shipping from an International Location.

Now, this does lend itself to 'free' shipping*, but we can also put in any amount we like to cover our shipping costs.

Generally, if your item can ship by LetterPost or Oversize Letter which are the same price for anywhere in the world based on weight and dimensions (under 500 gr and 2cm thick),  Flat Rate is very easy to use.

If you item must move by parcel service, the destination becomes much more important to the cost. Which is when it is probably best to list on eBayCanada and use Calculated Shipping.

Please remember that your US client, searching on dotCOM will see your dotCA listing in his Search in US dollars and on the actual listing in both US and Canadian dollars.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Bookmark that link and play with various weights, dimensions and destinations. (  90210 is a useful easy to remember zipcode).

Shipping is the hardest part of online selling.

*which isn't free, it's a marketing term meaning 'the cost of shipping is included in the asking price'.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If you list on .com you can also list using a flat rate for shipping. You would likely have 1 rate for the US, 1 rate for Canada and 1 for the rest of the world.  That tends to work better if your items are fairly light.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Apologies. My wording may have been slightly incorrect.  Would be nice though if the possibility was there for Canadian sellers to have the option to use Canadapost negotiated rates on dot com as long as they were shipping from a Canadian postal code. Would make it easier for a seller to be able to charge for postage a bit more accurately than the current system in place. Personally flat rate shipping does not work for me  on both dot ca or dot com due to the variety/weights of my items. This always seems to be the standard suggested solution for any eBay calculator glitches.

-CM

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm sure that sellers all over the world would like it if the .com site linked to the carriers that they use so that they could use calculated shipping but I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Is it not possible to ship using Fedex or USPS on dot com if you are a Canadian seller and have an account? Believe to be able to ship with Canadapost you would need a Canadian home/business mailing address and a way of getting packages to the post office or picked up. 

-CM

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Is it not possible to ship using Fedex or USPS on dot com if you are a Canadian seller and have an account? ...

Calculated values are only for domestic locations (USA for .com).

So a Canadian seller who ships from a USA location should be able to use calculated shipping on ebay.COM  -- but  if shipping from Canada, calculations can not be made on ebay.COM

Most of the cross border reshippers (like ChitChatsExpress) have an American address that can be used as a location for USPS, FedEx, UPS shipping prices.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you everybody for helping answer my question.

I paid with US$ for the things I bought and will be paying in US$ for the things I buy in future, it makes sense to trade in US$ instead of C$.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

What you've identified as far as singularity of funds is a good reason to sell in USD. On the other hand, I sell in CAD and trade in CAD and my customers are about 50 per cent Canadian-based so CAD makes better sense for me as a seller. (Plus, I'm pro-Canadian; I won't even visit the USA in the present economic and political climate.) 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply