Canada Post Expedited Shipping Label Ignores Ebay Dimensions Bug

townpost
Community Member

Something is wrong with the interface between Ebay and Canada Post Expedited Shipping. As a result I was charged twice for shipping and the total cost of shipping was more than I sold the item for.  Ebay sent me a friendly email that they will be charging my Credit card for the difference.

I enter the dimensions 20x15x10 (see screenshot)

townpost_1-1709697996042.png

But the shipping label shows 5x5x5cm

townpost_2-1709698053111.png

I contacted Ebay yesterday, they said they would get back to me within 24 hours but so far I haven't heard anything back.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Canada Post Expedited Shipping Label Ignores Ebay Dimensions Bug

Some Sellers will try to game the system by putting incorrect weights, just like those that ship to the USA using Letterpost...

I feel that more than a few of these "issues" are Sellers not putting true weight thinking Canada Post will not verify...

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Some Sellers will try to game the system by putting incorrect weights, just like those that ship to the USA using Letterpost...

I feel that more than a few of these "issues" are Sellers not putting true weight thinking Canada Post will not verify...

@brettjet38 

When this issue first came to light most of the posts were from long time sellers who know how to measure and input parcel details. I had it rear its ugly head on a 12 x 12" calendar in a bubble envelop. The weight was well under the limits but the measurements were causing the warning warning warning warning message. In testing now they have updated and added the following error message if weight is over 200 grams.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1709854765368.png

System will catch over 200 grams but does not catch over the limit (bulky) measurements. On expedited parcels in Canada when dimensional weight is in play the label shows the dim weight. Not the originally entered actual weight.

-Lotz

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

System will catch over 200 grams but does not catch over the limit (bulky) measurements.

I'm not sure what you mean.  If you I put measurements larger than the max 3200 expedited  lite isn't an option so it does catch over the limit measurements.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

Tried a quick test. 200 grams expedited lite is available. Updated to 150 grams and bulky over 3200 and option was still there. Order will get billed the extra charges after seller ships.

Ebay/CP upgrades to standard expedited at level discount.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Tried a quick test. 200 grams expedited lite is available. Updated to 150 grams and bulky over 3200 and option was still there. Order will get billed the extra charges after seller ships.

What are the exact numbers you tried? Try at least 201 grams and at least 3221 dimensional.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

What are the exact numbers you tried? Try at least 201 grams and at least 3221 dimensional.

@flipistics 

201 blocks the service in question. The girth test I used was well over 3221 in case it was a 1 or the other that causes the block. The service was available with the excessive amount. Just gave me the warning message.

Canada post can also use Girth for measuring a parcel. 

1 Girth is (height x 2) + (width x 2)

No one dimension may exceed 1.5 m (59 in.) Max. L + G = 2.74 m (107.9 in.) 30 kg (66 lb.)

If that is what happened there is good chance eBay incorrectly is interchanged girth as 108 cm incorrectly. Correct maximum in cm's  should be a limit of 275 cms 

107.9 in x 2.54 cm = 274.66 (Rounded up to to 275)

My previously mentioned example of a bubble envelop shipment that came up with the warning message when using CP's girth calculation came out very close to a total of 107 cm NOT 107 inches.  (As a side, I did not receive a secondary charge after the fact)

-Lotz

See my original reply to the issue post 31 plus post 32.  Explains it more accurately what others are also seeing.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Expedited-Lite-Label-Size-Discrepancy-Charged-Full-Exped...

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

@flipistics 

This is what eBay Labels states when you go to create an Expedited label. Unsure is same message is there for Expedited lite.

Minimum 10 x 7 x 0.1cm. Maximum weight 30kg, length 200cm and length + girth 300cm. To work out the girth, add the two shorter sides together and multiply the result by 2.

*Maybe could use 300 cm or less for clarification.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

Your results are not the same as mine.  If the dimensions I enter are more than 3220 the expedited lite disappears. For example when I enter  200 gr.   25x20x8=4000gr  the Ex L option disappears.   What dimensions did you enter that were over 3220 and the Ex L option was still available?

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

Are you still talking about expedited lite?   Those measurements are for expedited parcel USA not any Canadian service that I can see.   Also I'm sure that CP considers expedited lite as a packet, not a parcel and they don't use girth when figuring out the max for parcels. 

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Your results are not the same as mine.  If the dimensions I enter are more than 3220 the expedited lite disappears. For example when I enter  200 gr.   25x20x8=4000gr  the Ex L option disappears.   What dimensions did you enter that were over 3220 and the Ex L option was still available?

With many things "eBay" much has to do with timing. What doesn't work today may or may not be fixed tomorrow. Why it is always important to include your results may vary. My test was a few days ago. I didn't do a screenshot. My impression is they have been tinkering with eBay Labels recently and may have solved it with no heads up to sellers. And it's not like there were only a few reports of this issue. My main concern are the sellers that were overcharged incorrectly and  never refunded.

As for my original post on eBay label concerns that dates back in August 2023. Only a few have been fully resolved. Sellers that still would like an itemized receipt of postage charges have yet to have that addressed. 

Message 30 of 46
latest reply

I've tested this issue to death since I first reported it over a month ago. Obviously nothing has been done yet, despite it being escalated back then, too. 

I've had to keep my expedited lite under 2200 cubic cm in order to not get surcharged.

This is the theory I reported in my thread:

It's not a measuring issue. It's happening to too many people to be simple mistakes by sellers. It's consistently happening to box sizes that are well under the volumetric weight. Someone at CP has made a mistake setting the volumetric weight limitations. My theory based on my packages: it's happening when you go over 2200 cubic cm (not the allowable 3220 cubic cm). I betcha someone punched in a "2" instead of a "3"... sigh

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

I'm curious, what do the charges actually show up as for you? Are they differentiated in some way from other labels?

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

I mailed a LITE package on Feb 26 - at the top of the ebay label I printed quite large  "eBay Expedited Lite - 2835 cubic cm" and I highlighted it.

It was delivered March 1 and so far, no extra billing - it went from Calgary (scanned & receipt given at postal outlet)  to Toronto.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

Do you know what the exact dimensions of that package was.

@lucitabby 

To figure out the cubic measurement were you just adding up the 3 dimensions or doing something else?

I know how to figure out dimensional weight on expedited parcel but not sure if you are going by that or the expedited lite suggestion on the label page.

I'm trying to figure out something and don't want to assume anything. That's why I'm asking.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

It was 24 X 21 X 5 cm

I used this website to calculate

krovisoverseas.com/calculator/cubic-centimeter-calculator

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

It was 24 X 21 X 5 cm

I used this website to calculate

krovisoverseas.com/calculator/cubic-centimeter-calculator

Handy tool. Thanks for sharing!! 😃

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

The shipping surcharges are labeled the same way as the original shipping charges are in my payments list. The only way I know they're surcharges is because they're over $10. Then you can go to that item's sales summary and see that it's been added in to the original Shipping charges (and throw up when you see you paid $23 to ship a $20 item... lol)
Message 38 of 46
latest reply

This problem has happened from the start, I'm sending out 30- 40 of these... and 80% are double charged with no help from eBay.. they tell me to message Canada Post. Canada Post doesn't even know what this is. Its double charging for shipping. FIX THE DIMENSIONS OR CALL IT CANADA POST EXPEDITED LITE. 

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

It was like that since the beginning: 5 x 5 x 5 cm. I shipped many of them, never had a problem. However, I always add such an additional label, next to the CP shipping label:

Image2y.jpg

Message 40 of 46
latest reply