Canada Post lost packages

Hi There,

Are any other sellers currently experincing a higher than normal rate of INR's? Today I recieved another, and 2 yesterday, and one the day before. Most appear from the March timeframe.  A mix of Canadian and USA destinations. I am seriously considering changing all my listings to Tracked Packet for USA.

I am interested to know if others are experiencing the same?

P.S. I am aware of the issues at CP in Mississauga both current and in the past.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Canada Post lost packages

All Tracked Packet will do for you is show that your packages are sitting at Gateway waiting to be processed.

There are similar issues at the USPS International centre in Chicago where most Canadian stuff goes to first. There have also been weather related issues in a number of places in the US during the second half of March and early April.

I don't use Canada Post very much but I did send an Expedited last week that sat at Gateway for 3 days (normal is less than 24 hours),  6 day delivery for a package going under 100km that would normally take 2 days.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I get that tracking does not ensure delivery, but at least the customer would know where it is. Small Packet would show the tracking most times in the past, but as of late it is rarely scanned. The  cost would be higher by 3-4 dollars for US customers, which might encourage some to buy more items to combine, or might scare some away too. Its a bit of a pickle for sure.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Are the customers asking you or are you getting in touch with the customer when you see a delay?

Since tracking is a Seller Protection, any seller who goes commando on tracking is calculating that she will lose less money from fake (or even real) INR claims than she will spending money on unnecessary tracking.

Every seller has to make that calculation for herself.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Most of the INR claims come from the case they open, rarely do they ever contact me first but they do occasionally. I would notify them of delays but since I rarely use tracking I do not know if there is a delay or the cause.

I charge for all my shiipping so the buyer is paying for the increase. For some the 3-4 dollars would not be significant, but for some it may negate the sale. I am reluctant to increase the shipping cost, but 4 INRs in 3 days is concerning.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

One thing I've always done which I believe has helped a lot over the years. I do not depend on eBay to inform buyers their order has shipped, I send my own email to every buyer which includes MY estimate of delivery time and information I have regarding specific delivery problems that might arise (especially for International destinations) in their country.

When I do get inquiries from buyers it's usually only after a very long time in transit and more often than not they contact me directly first.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I do this for every sale as well.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I had no INR's for items to USA in April (touch wood) but multiple buyers remarked on how slow shipping was in their feedbacks. Some understand and some don't. Average delivery times to USA for economy lettermail Small Packet were two weeks and a few took up to three. I had one item take 29 days to arrive but luckily it was Tracked so there was something to point to if the buyer contacted me. He never did but the tracking system was weird since there was no activity for like 24 days (other than reception) and then it came alive and was updated on Day 25 and delivered on Day 29. Makes you wonder if the item is sitting abandoned on a shelf somewhere when a Postie went a on break or something. This buyer was happy - go figure. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

There are two types of INR cases with Canada Post Lettermail:

1 - Buyers who are going to see an item isn't tracked, and make a claim to get it free.

2 - Sincere buyers who see the expected delivery date has passed, so they contact you about their item.

You can't do anything about #1 once an item is sent, but luckily #1 seems to be in the minority.

As far as dealing with #2, here is how you get rid of a big chunk of INR cases.

If you are shipping lettermail in Canada, do not set your shipping method to lettermail. Set it to the generic economy shipping method. You can state in your listing "Economy shipping is fulfilled by Canada Post Lettermail". You can also consider extending your handling time to 3 days. If you do both of these, buyers will know to expect their item within 4-18 business days, and also will only be able to open a case after that time frame has passed.

eBay has a major bug, or at least a misconception, about lettermail shipping times. Their lettermail setting is set to 9 business days. While lettermail does sometimes arrive very quickly, it is prone to delays and can sometimes take two weeks regionally, and up to four weeks nationally. This is why the generic economy shipping option will cut down on INR cases. It gives the buyer a more realistic time frame for their order, so they aren't wondering why it hasn't arrived. It also makes it so they cannot open an INR case for roughly 30 days. 

It doesn't look like the category you sell in would be a high risk one for INR fraud. So what is probably happening is honest customers see the 5-9 business day shipping time, it doesn't arrive in 5-9 business days, and they contact you to ask where it is, which then automatically opens an INR case.

Then you are in a position where you sent the item, you have to refund the customer, and further you have to arrange for the customer to repay when the item arrives. For both the seller and customer, it is a hassle. eBay could fix this by changing the carrier time in the lettermail setting, but until they do that, your option to avoid this is to use the generic economy shipping setting. It is a no brainer since it provides a better experience for your customer, and also cuts down on time spent dealing with INRs.

As far as US Orders go, I haven't used Small Packet USA in almost a year. It was very reliable before the pandemic. After the pandemic, it became too inconsistent to rely on for business purposes. Tracked Packet is a bit better, but it is very expensive. There doesn't seem to be any reasonable way to ship low cost items to the USA using Canada Post. The reliable services are away too expensive, and in my experienced Small Packet is so inconsistent that the INRs and time spent dealing with them are greater than any additional profits from USA sales. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Delivery times for Canada Post shipping services is from Canada Post. eBay must use the Canada Post estimates and cannot change them.

Over the years the delivery times for Canada Post services being unrealistic were brought up by forum members here a few times. EBay’s answer was they cannot change them and must use the Canada Post estimates.

A seller can change the handling time to 3 business days as you mentioned.

To get the maximum delivery estimates using the generic eBay shipping options you mentioned is the best way to get a longer delivery window. I have often wondered if the long times shown deters sales of an item to some buyers. At least the range is has a low minimum days so it is not too bad.
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

When I do use small packet, I only enter the numbers in tracking if the buyer files an inr or inquires about the package.  I haven't sold a ton of stuff to the US lately but the 2 times that I did have concerned customers, the small packet url did show usps scans along the way so I dont know if the scanning has improved or if I was just lucky.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Chitchat Express has a drop off location in Edmonton, which may be a really good option for you.  The shipping would be cheaper in most cases than small packet and it is all tracked since they bring your items across the border and ship directly with USPS.  Looking at the range of items you have, this could be a very good fit.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Average delivery times to USA for economy lettermail Small Packet were two weeks and a few took up to three.

Having been selling by mail order for some 30 years, everything from woodstoves to postage stamps, it has been my experience that 20 days is normal within North America.

Some of the tracked services are a little faster nowadays.

I had one item take 29 days to arrive ... but the tracking system was weird since there was no activity for like 24 days (other than reception) and then it came alive and was updated on Day 25 and delivered on Day 29.

Most of what we call "tracking" is actually Confirmation of Delivery, which is less labour-intensive and cheaper. The shipment is usually only noted when it is received and when it is delivered, although with so much mail passing through highly automated plants a lot of "confirmation" parcels are treated like "tracked" and the transit path is noted.
This btw leads to a lot of angst from those who fanatically follow their purchase because the spoke and hub delivery system used by USPS, Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, AirCanada, etc is counter-intuitive.

This buyer was happy - go figure.

Well, it's not a life threatening purchase.

It was shipped, it arrived.  Yeah!

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Chit Chats is a very good option, but it comes with some challenges. 

The first challenge is that Chit Chats usually only has one drop location. So there is an added economic cost to using Chit Chats, which is the time and cost of transportation to their one drop location. With Canada Post, most people have a red mail box very close to where they live.

The second challenge would be when Chit Chats does not have a drop location. Canpar can be used to transport batches of shipments to Chit Chats. When Canpar picks up Chit Chats packages, a person "batches" together all their orders for that time period by putting them in one box for Canpar. Again, this requires high enough volume to justify the added cost of the Canpar pickup (let's say $15). There is also a risk since Chit Chats pickups with Canpar are only insured up to $100, and one lost Canpar package can upset multiple eBay orders.

So for someone to use Chit Chats viably, they need to have a high volume of US orders, and a long enough handling time that they can accrue a large batch of US orders for each pickup. Or, they need to live or operate close enough to a Chit Chats drop spot that there is no added time/cost associated with using Chit Chats instead of Canada Post for US orders. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

I get that tracking does not ensure delivery, but at least the customer would know where it is.

Tracking doesn't even do that.  It just shows where the item was last scanned; it's likely moved on from there.  Buyers complaining that their item is "stuck" somewhere don't appreciate that their item may have moved but there's no tracking information to reflect that.

I recently ordered something (not through eBay) from Hong Kong that apparently touched down in Toronto rather than in Richmond, which would have made more sense for me as I live in British Columbia.  That's nice to know, I guess, but what am I supposed to do with this information?

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

We're having opposite issue, buyers claiming they cant open inr's on either ebay or paypal, threating bad fb if you dont do a voluntary refunds.  

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

One thing I've always done which I believe has helped a lot over the years. I do not depend on eBay to inform buyers their order has shipped, I send my own email to every buyer which includes MY estimate of delivery time and information I have regarding specific delivery problems that might arise (especially for International destinations) in their country.

I do the same thing as well - send them a message after I shipped.

1. I mention that "Your book(s) have been shipped from Vancouver, Canada" 

2. I give them a ETA of 2-4 weeks

3. I remind them that pandemic could slow things down

4. I kindly ask them to contact me if there is any issues

No INR and no "where is my item" messages for 2+ years though I only get like 30 sales a year lol. I also set a handling time of 5 days (which stretches my displayed eBay shipping estimate) though I usually try to ship within 3 days. Occasionally I do need up to 5 days to ship (busy with work) and I will message the buyers letting them know that I need to delay, usually no issues. I'm thankful I don't have much headaches with my sales since I'm so casual with selling nowadays. 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

There is no reason a buyer shouldn't be able to open an INR, unless you have chosen a shipping window for Canada or US orders like one of the economy international ones that has something like a 45-60 day shipping window. Which in my opinion is way too long of a window, even for something like lettermail or small packet air.

If this is happening with multiple different buyers, it is probably something on your end. If it is happening with one buyer, or multiple IDs to the same area, it might be someone who is no longer covered by eBay's Buyer Protection. 

Utlimately, if someone is threatening negative feedback in exchange for a refund, that would likely count as feedback extortion. Which means, eBay would remove the feedback if you called in and reported the buyer. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

ont123
Community Member

Yes, I have had 3 small packet USA lost packages in the last two months! Considering I only had maybe 2 lost packages over 20 years, something is definitely wrong ! I have a hunch one was a fake claim, because it had no tracking. I have some theories about the other 2 lost packages, but I will leave it at that.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I hope that everyone is checking their tracking #s against the appropriate postal service web sites and are not relying on the info provided by eBay.
The eBay interface is glitchy and ebay has acknowledged to me that they have technical issues re tracking updates.

Also, you should be checking tracking #s on the postal service site of the receiving country.
If you are shipping from Canada into the USA follow the tracking on USPS not CP. Shipping to the UK use Royal Mail web site for tracking.
The receiving countries will almost always have more detailed info.

There are shifty buyers out there who are aware of the tracking problems on eBay and they are making false undelivered item claims hoping that the seller does not investigate further than the eBay tracking info.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply