Domestic parcel rate from Vancouver to Winnipeg?

Soooo, I very rarely send anything via parcel domestically. I have heard before that selling parcels domestically is more expensive than selling small packets to the USA. I listed a stuffed animal and it just so happened to be sold to a Canadian buyer and when I listed it, I anticipated an USA buyer so that's why I only included $10 in the price as shipping cost.

I just wanted to double check... is it true that, from Vancouver to Winnipeg, it would cost Canada Post Regular Parcel = $19.26, Canada Post Expedited Parcel = $19.88?! The size is 30cm x 25cm x 15cm for a stuffed animal that weights 250g (including waterproof envelope)? I even tried with Chit Chat and they quoted me $17.77... At this rate I might as well just get a medium flat rate box ($22.99) to offer the stuff animals better protection and save that big waterproof envelope (costs 50 cents) for something else lol. The saving with CCE is too small for me to drive all the way there. 

While I'm not going to cancel this sale even though I'm getting $10 less than expected, it's definitely more money than I expected to be spending on shipping such a light stuffed animal cry

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I know that you used to have discount postage stamps. I assume you got them at 20% or more off. To minimize you loss on the shipping cost. Put as many stamps as you can on the parcel to within a dollar or less of the parcel rate you expect.

Go to the PO and show your CP Venture One card or Small Business card you get Expedited Parcel rate and pay the balance due on the rate. Sales tax applies only to the difference not the total since most was paid in stamps.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You could also pay the full amount in stamps too. But I found that Expedited Parcel rate can be tricky to do because of dimensions and volumetric rate calculation. My measured dimensions at home may not be the same as the clerk checking at the counter. I always gave them the dimensions I used and most times we were the same. Once they measured smaller than me and I had put a dollar more in stamps than needed losing some in overpayment.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Also I assume the high cost of shipping is because of volumetric weight using a large box. Can you reduce the size of the shipping box? Also make sure you measured correctly the dimensions of the shipping box.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@zee-chan 

If there are no parts that could possibly get damaged, you could  use pack it in a ziplock baggie and squeeze the air out to reduce the final package size and postage. Add a piece of cardboard top and bottom to protect it from being accidentally sliced or diced when opened. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

I just wanted to double check... is it true that, from Vancouver to Winnipeg, it would cost Canada Post Regular Parcel = $19.26, Canada Post Expedited Parcel = $19.88?! The size is 30cm x 25cm x 15cm for a stuffed animal that weights 250g (including waterproof envelope)? ...

The elephant in the room is Volumetric/Dimensional weight. Calculated as L x W x H divided by 6000 (regular) or 5000 (expedited).

1.88 kg for Regular parcel

2.25 kg for Expedited parcel

Small Packet USA (and Tracked Packet USA) does not have a dimensional weight modifier, so is treated as the actual 0.25kg.  Parcels to the USA do have the modifier, so Packet for the win.

-..-

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Right now I'm not even using a shipping box, it's a polymailer and I have tried to make it as small as possible already... It's stuffed animal so it's big but light.

I don't plan on using stamps because I'm worried about them falling off the polymailer, making the postage insufficient.

I don't have a problem with footing the cost, it's just that the fact it's almost double the cost of USA small packet kinda leaves a bitter taste in the mouth lol. But judging from all of your reaction, it does look like I got the right rate estimate lol. Now it's a matter of whether or not I can squeeze this stuffed animal further to make it smaller.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Stamps that are water based glue will not stick well or at all to a polymailer. The trick is to put blank paper labels with glue backing that sticks to the polymailer. Then put the water based stamps on the paper label. I have done this many times.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

If I am nervous about stamps possibly falling off what I have done in the past is made sure I've gone to the counter with the parcel and have the clerk date stamp the heck out of it. Then the canadapost knows it was verified when it left the depot.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks all for your advice! I squished the stuffed animal into a smaller box and that definitely saved me a few dollars, managed to squish it smaller than with the polymailer sunglasses

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

l sell coins here, very small packages. l found it really don’t matter how small or light weight the package is, canada post’s cheapest parcel cost is over 17 bucks for anywhere in canada. looking around, ups, purolator, fed-ex - all of them are far more expensive. so, canada post is the cheapest l could find. really sucks its so expensive to send a parcel.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Parcel post is pricey, but the way I try to put it perspective is by asking myself how much it would cost me in time and loonies to deliver the item under my own steam. After all, making your own dinner is cheaper than going out to a restaurant, right?

Just getting off Vancouver Island to the mainland with my car would cost almost seventy bucks 🤪
Message 12 of 12
latest reply