EBAY CHARGING ME FEES ON THE TAX THEY ROBBED FROM A CANADIAN BUYER

ITS BAD ENOUGH YOU TAX PEOPLE ON ITEMS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR 60 YEARS AGO BUT CHARGING ME A FINAL VALUE FEE ON THE TAX YOU ROBBED IS WRONG.

I FEEL SWINDLED AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF

SHAME ON YOU

Fees based on
C $172.50

• Item price
    C $150.00
  • Sales tax
    C $22.50
  • Fees based on

C $172.50
  • Total fees for item
    • Final Value Fee
      -C $22.25
      Variable percentage Consumer Electronics category
      Rate for C $0.00 - C $7,500.00
      C $172.50
      12.9% =
      -C $22.25
Final Value Fee
-C $0.30
Per order fixed amount
Total fees
-C $22.55
GST/HST(5.0%)/Tax(7.0%)
-C $2.71
Total fees (includes GST/HST/Tax)
-C $25.26

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay has based its Final Value Fees on the total transaction charge for a donkey's age now.  The taxes paid by the buyer add to that total.

If you feel there is something amiss or suspect with any of these tax calculations--be they on your end or your buyers'--I suggest you take it up with the federal Finance Ministry or your Member of Parliament.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

It is a cute backdoor fee increase,  just the way it is.   After HST started being collected last fall pretty well everyone had a what the heck moment, though if you sold to the US you had been nailed with his for sales to there.

There are regular threads as folks see that the actual fees on the selling cost are more like 16%+ and not the PR 12.9% the eBay advertises.  Just have to decide if an item has a high enough margin to sell it on eBay .  

The is easily the most demonstrative post on the topic though.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

A blaring,glaring "demonstative" rant by OP doesn't make for good discussion material since we all have heard this before time & time again ... just makes for "oh here we go again" or "another misinformed,misunderstanding, missing the point disgruntled eBay seller"...

The solution is simple: either accept,adapt,adjust, and carry on or m-o-v-e-on to selling local & in person whereby you can set your own rules & policies...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

mrdutch101 is totally right - i have found gripping about anything here is just a waste of time and kama- you need to just a accept adjust and adapt and then move on -- there is no one here -- disagreeing with your comtempt for the system -- its is just the system -and you have to bend like a willow tree or break like an old elm or oak -- and sell locally - or on other sites and thats a even bigger waste of time --- for some  me included thats just not a possiblity -- but we do feel your pain -- taxes on taxes on taxes --

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There are taxes on goods and services, including on used goods. Including on goods that were sold recently enough to have been taxed on the original sale.

Because sales taxes are on the sale (or service fee) not on the item itself. These taxes go to various governments.

And eBay charges a FEE (not a tax) on processing the entire payment that they accept from the buyer and transfer to the seller.

And eBay charges tax on the fees sellers pay for their services, and those taxes go to the applicable governments.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply