Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

This just showed up hot off the presses.

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/ebay-labels/canada-post-expedited-lite?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&ems...

Only available on eBay Labels: Ship small. Save big.

Package specifications

Ship with an envelope or a small parcel that meets the following criteria:

• Weighs no more than 200 grams

• No one dimension exceeds 41 cm (16.1”)

• Maximum volume (L x W x H) of up to 3,220 cubic centimeters

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1683133474900.png

YAYYYYYY!!!!!

-Lotz

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I had 2 video games to sell and tried to exploit the system by listing them in the trading card category. Just wanted to share that this is not really possible... You indeed can list items in wrong categories, the problem is that the search engine is made to automatically check the most accurate category for the search. In other words, if you search a game with its title, the video game category will be automatically checked. Making your listing invisible... Unless the person uncheck the category that the search engine automatically check. Which nobody will do. Clearly on purpose from ebay. Noticed that after 2 weeks listed without a single view on a game with demand and fairly priced. 

As a trading cards seller i'm very happy with expedited lite. Even in buyer shoes i can get better deals now because most sellers now ask $7 instead of $22 shipping. But not being able to use it for other items that fits lettermail is very frustrating, this cannot be justified. We're getting robbed. If i was a seller selling mainly small items meeting criterias, but not eligible, i would freak out. Canada post must wake up. Sales are slower because of their excessive rates, it's bad for everyone.

@rocketscollectibles 

You can add expedited lite service on any item as long as it is under the 200 grams. The critical thing is to add before filling in the weight. eBay hides services (at times) if the weight is pre-filled. 

-Lotz

Message 161 of 181
latest reply

As lotz has said any item under 200 grams and within size criteria can be sent this way. You don't need to try to change your category to try and fool the system. I've sold Barbie clothes, listed in doll clothing category and it allows me to post it, ship it, no problem (and they've been delivered, I've been billed). And it's in the category I want my buyers to find me!

Message 162 of 181
latest reply

Crazy. Wasted 2 weeks testing and being invisible. Ebay should adjust their rule because they clearly states it's for specific categories. A lot probably don't know they can use it because of that.

The critical thing is to add before filling in the weight. eBay hides services (at times) if the weight is pre-filled. 

Not sure to fully understand here. I'm personally using 'standard shipping' and free. Will i be able to select the service after order is placed when i purchase label? That's how i work and how my whole store is set. 

Message 163 of 181
latest reply

I use calculated shipping but I would think (hope) it should work the same way.

When you choose "Purchase Label" from eBay here the page should still bring you to same one I see where the item info and size/weight is there (you can change it if needed) and the shipping options are usually listed from lowest price to highest price, just make sure the "Expedited Lite" is the one chosen (if size/weight qualifies it should be first since it's the cheapest). I had to adjust one of mine because buyer chose two items and it did 2X the weight/size which put it over (it didn't actually go over because the packaging did not double) and it allowed me to put in the correct combined info. But like I mentioned I use calculated, so I hope "standard" will apply. If it is within the weight and size I think it will. Let us know if it works!

Message 164 of 181
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Crazy. Wasted 2 weeks testing and being invisible. Ebay should adjust their rule because they clearly states it's for specific categories. A lot probably don't know they can use it because of that.

The critical thing is to add before filling in the weight. eBay hides services (at times) if the weight is pre-filled. 

Not sure to fully understand here. I'm personally using 'standard shipping' and free. Will i be able to select the service after order is placed when i purchase label? That's how i work and how my whole store is set. 

@rocketscollectibles 

What I meant by that statement is when creating a listing you leave entering parcel measurements prior to choosing services you want to use. This issue was noted a few months ago. Expedited USA would be routinely missing.) If you fill in the measurements first, possible options do not display. Hope I've clarified.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1689175262263.png

-Lotz

Message 165 of 181
latest reply

Yes you can still use expedited lite even if you are not using calculated shipping.

Lotz is referring to a glitz on the listing page when using calculated shipping.

Message 166 of 181
latest reply

I do not use calculated shipping,  and I sell exclisively on Ebay.com (and not in the "collectibles" at all). Still, I can use the expedited lite - already printed 10 labels, or so.  For larger or longer parcels I use ChitChats Flex, which is still considerably cheaper than 4-level CPC.  

Message 167 of 181
latest reply

@38e_avenue 

Do you use ChitChats solely for shipping to U.S.? You say it's cheaper than Canada Post?

And what about shipping domestically within Canada, is ChitChats cheaper than Canada Post?

Are they cheaper than Canada Post for International destinations?

(Yes, I know I can read their web site - I've already looked there. I just thought that since you use them and have done price comparisons, you'd be an ideal person to ask.)

Message 168 of 181
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I use calculated shipping but I would think (hope) it should work the same way.

When you choose "Purchase Label" from eBay here the page should still bring you to same one I see where the item info and size/weight is there (you can change it if needed) and the shipping options are usually listed from lowest price to highest price, just make sure the "Expedited Lite" is the one chosen (if size/weight qualifies it should be first since it's the cheapest). I had to adjust one of mine because buyer chose two items and it did 2X the weight/size which put it over (it didn't actually go over because the packaging did not double) and it allowed me to put in the correct combined info. But like I mentioned I use calculated, so I hope "standard" will apply. If it is within the weight and size I think it will. Let us know if it works!

As an FYI for anyone who creates listing using the app Expedited Lite in Canada it is now available. In the past it was only on the PC version and will work  with all listings that meet the weigh/size limit criteria. You would need to use your better judgement for shipments going to the great white north to know it would be the best value or not. It may be cheaper to use the new small prepaid box option. 

-Lotz

Message 169 of 181
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@38e_avenue 

Do you use ChitChats solely for shipping to U.S.? You say it's cheaper than Canada Post?

And what about shipping domestically within Canada, is ChitChats cheaper than Canada Post?

Are they cheaper than Canada Post for International destinations?

(Yes, I know I can read their web site - I've already looked there. I just thought that since you use them and have done price comparisons, you'd be an ideal person to ask.)

I'm using Stallion Express for Canadian packages, their lowest cost Canadian service is an excellent service (they do not service remote or obscure rutral locations), cheaper and faster than CP Expedited (usually by a lot).

Recent shipment, 465g to Medicine Hat from Toronto, $11.41, delivered in 3 days, the same package to Montreal would be about $9 with 2 day delivery.

They offer all the same US services that ChitChats offered, usually for slightly lower cost. I also use them for all my Overseas packages either via APC or PostNL.

https://ship.stallionexpress.ca/register/i1oZkN

Stallion has a couple of drop off locations in the "downtown" area.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 170 of 181
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I'm using Stallion Express for Canadian packages, their lowest cost Canadian service is an excellent service (they do not service remote or obscure rutral locations), cheaper and faster than CP Expedited (usually by a lot).

Recent shipment, 465g to Medicine Hat from Toronto, $11.41, delivered in 3 days, the same package to Montreal would be about $9 with 2 day delivery.

They offer all the same US services that ChitChats offered, usually for slightly lower cost. I also use them for all my Overseas packages either via APC or PostNL.

What does "via APC or PostNL" mean? You don't send just via Stallion Express?

It's unfortunate that they don't have any drop off locations in downtown Toronto, just east end, west end and uptown/midtown, nothing in downtown core.

Do you offer free shipping to eBay buyers? If not, how do you know what to charge? I just started using eBay's Calculated Shipping, so that as long as I input the right weight and dimensions, the buyer should automatically be charged the right shipping cost for the option he/she chooses.

Message 171 of 181
latest reply

APC is a US consolidator that interfaces with USPS services ISAL and IPA.

PostNL is the Dutch Postal Service.

These are the two carriers Stallion is currently using for International (well they also offer expensive FedEx and UPS).

I always charged for shipping, Overseas includes a healthy handling charge, the rates vary a lot from country to country (eg: Australian is almost double what the UK is), I work on average costs when setting overseas rates in my listings. I do not lose money even when including eBay fees and packaging expenses and my rates are lower than what my US competitors can offer if they are using USPS or eBay's own EIS service.

These days it's pretty much break even at best on what I can charge US Buyers given the increasing domestic USPS rates and the sad state of the CA$.

I was dropping off at the mid-town location, initially driving from the west end and then via TTC/subway (senior fare within the two hour limit, cheaper and faster than driving plus I get some exercise). Since they opened the Landsdown/Bloor drop off I drive because it's only 5 - 10 minutes for me. I have 5 day handling so I usually go every 3 or 4 days depending on sales.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 172 of 181
latest reply

It's cheaper. Most of my packages are 250g - CP charges 11, while ChitChats charges 7.50-8.00. To Canada - nothing is cheaper than new Ebay Lite, but for larger items (+200g) still ChitChats is cheaper. They cooperate with Intelcom, which is at half of CP price, or even less. International, ChitChats is always cheaper for tracked services (but not a lot). For example, today I shipped a package  to Italy. Weight - 500 g, paid 29 with Ebay (tracked Packet), Chitchats offered the same for 25.  I finally used Ebay/CP because the item was rather expensive (+200).  I had some busy days before Xmas, when shipping with ChitChats allowed me to save 140 dollars DAILY on shipping charges. 

Message 173 of 181
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

It's cheaper. Most of my packages are 250g - CP charges 11, while ChitChats charges 7.50-8.00. To Canada - nothing is cheaper than new Ebay Lite, but for larger items (+200g) still ChitChats is cheaper. They cooperate with Intelcom, which is at half of CP price, or even less. International, ChitChats is always cheaper for tracked services (but not a lot). For example, today I shipped a package  to Italy. Weight - 500 g, paid 29 with Ebay (tracked Packet), Chitchats offered the same for 25.  I finally used Ebay/CP because the item was rather expensive (+200). 

For the package to Italy, why did you use Canada Post (bought via eBay Shipping Labels) rather than cheaper ChitChats?

When using a shipper other than what eBay's Shipping Labels supports (I think supports just Canada Post and FedEx), are you able to enter ChitChats tracking number into eBay for the item, so that eBay will show the item as shipped and will mark it as delivered when the tracking shows that?

I'm not a store. I have maybe a few dozen items to sell and I don't want to overspend on shipping.  I also want tracking, so that I will have proof of delivery in case of any buyer dispute. I like that eBay's Calculated Shipping option and its Shipping Labels buy function makes it simple. But, eBay's labels may not be the cheapest, and even when FedEx looks cheap, after delivery you can be hit with additional charges from FedEx (as happened to me last week).

Message 174 of 181
latest reply

When you set up a Chit Chats account, you can link it to your eBay store. It works in a similar way to eBay's label tool. You import the orders to Chit Chats and the information related to the order is already added. You do not need to input any information other than the package dimensions. 

When you send something with Chit Chats you get two different tracking numbers. You get both a Chit Chats tracking number and a Canada Post or USPS tracking number. 

If I recall, the Canada Post or USPS tracking number sometimes does not update properly until the package is in the hands of the actual carrier. I have not used Chit Chats for Canada Post in a while.

You can set up Chit Chats so that it adds the tracking number automatically to the transaction when you print the label. For USPS, I usually prefer to put the USPS tracking number because it is what US buyers are used to. It doesn't always give accurate information for the first day or two, but once the item crosses into the US it is the exact same as USPS. 

Chit Chats also has different services that use alternate carriers instead of Canada Post like the ones already mentioned in this thread.

Keep in mind, you can send lettermail with tracking as well. It costs $9.75 on top of the lettermail rate. If you don't want the hassle of going to the post office, you can order pre-made Registered Mail stickers that each have a unique tracking number. All you have to do is stick these to a lettermail package and include the postage in the form of stamps (which is a lot of stamps), and you can drop it in a regular mail box. While this used to be very useful for sending smaller items nationally with tracking, since most items that qualify for lettermail will be under 200g, you will probably find that Expedited Lite is cheaper. 

Message 175 of 181
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

For the package to Italy, why did you use Canada Post (bought via eBay Shipping Labels) rather than cheaper ChitChats?

Both had tracking, but Canada Post offers return, which works really well in case something goes wrong. Because the item was expensive (around 240 dol), additional 4 dollars did not make a real difference. 

Concerning the tracking - after you connect your Ebay account to ChitChats, tracking uploads autimatically.  

Message 176 of 181
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

When you set up a Chit Chats account, you can link it to your eBay store. It works in a similar way to eBay's label tool. You import the orders to Chit Chats and the information related to the order is already added. You do not need to input any information other than the package dimensions. 

When you send something with Chit Chats you get two different tracking numbers. You get both a Chit Chats tracking number and a Canada Post or USPS tracking number. 

Thanks.

Do you set a fixed price for shipping? If I use Chit Chats or Stallion or something, then I guess my listings cannot have Calculated Shipping, showing proper price to each buyer depending upon their location and their choice from shipping options that I specify?

Message 177 of 181
latest reply

I use a flat rate with a generic shipping service listed like 'Standard International Shipping'. The items that I sell are almost all at a similar weight, so this makes it a bit easier. Generally, it's going to be about $7.50-$9.00 for anything under 200g. 

They have a shipping calculator, and you can explore their rates. The big choke point is somewhere around 400g-450g where it jumps from $10 or less to $15-$20+. 

The variability in rates for Chit Chats is only really an issue for very large and heavy packages (think 10kg-20kg), where the price to send the package can vary by a significant amount. For smaller packages, you're usually only looking at a swing of $1-$2, which is very easy to work around with flat rates. The other thing is that for heavier packages, Canada Post might offer a similar price to Chit Chats. 

You can create pre-made shipping policies under the business policy tab in eBay. Then you don't have to set the shipping price each time. (https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/business-policy/business-policies?id=4212) - If you plan to list a lot of items, this would be the way to go. If you are going to sell a wide variety of items of all different sizes, it might be best to create a policy for each weight or each type of item (for example sports cards, CDs, t-shirts, etc), or just average it out. 

Message 178 of 181
latest reply

I use a flat rate with a generic shipping service listed like 'Standard International Shipping'. The items that I sell are almost all at a similar weight, so this makes it a bit easier. Generally, it's going to be about $7.50-$9.00 for anything under 200g. 

Thanks for the detail. I appreciate it.

Do you ship only to U.S.? Rates to International destinations outside U.S. and Canada seem to vary a lot.

The variability in rates for Chit Chats is only really an issue for very large and heavy packages (think 10kg-20kg), where the price to send the package can vary by a significant amount. For smaller packages, you're usually only looking at a swing of $1-$2, which is very easy to work around with flat rates. 

Variability based on what? The destination state/address in the U.S.?

They have a shipping calculator, and you can explore their rates.

I've  been trying to compare to eBay shipping rates, but the eBay Shipping Calculator seems rather broken. It won't show FedEx rates for US destination, even though there's a FedEx tab to select, and for Canada Post some seem wrong.

Stallion Express seems cheaper than Chit Chats for some things, but there's no drop-off location downtown Toronto, so not practical for me. Chit Chats has 

Thanks, I really appreciate your insights as I try to get myself set up for shipping to various destinations at reasonable rates. I think Chit Chats may serve part of my need.

Do you find Chit Chats cheaper than eBay's Canada Post or FedEx rates for Canada domestic destinations? I mean of course for heavier items, since eBay/Canada Post's Expedited Lite is good for under 200 g.

Message 179 of 181
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle 

Here is a stand alone tool for checking shipping. Eventually the discounted rate option hopefully will be attached to listings but for now it is not. The discounted rate options shows up on the 2nd page after you have entered your info. There may be slight variences for discounts depending on the city you use for a delivery address. Note. No option to enter a zipcode. As an fyi if you use expedited lite service as an example, from my postal code to my postal code 200 grams displays as 7.30 so in theory that should be the lowest rate based on that weight.. Rates will vary depending on final GST/Fuel surcharge being added based on postal code it is going to.  Unfortunately the tool does not break down discounts and surcharges. 

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

-Lotz

Message 180 of 181
latest reply