Express Post vs. Priority

I'm shipping an expensive item to Hong Kong and I've been comparing Express Post and Priority.  I need a signature.

I can't see any real difference between the two services.  Is anyone here familiar with the practical differences between the two services?  They look pretty much the same to me.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I've never used Priority but from what I've heard, it gets handed over to a courier service (Fedex?) unlike Xpresspost which would be delivered by the post office.  I suspect that the Priority would have higher brokerage fees for your buyer.

Are you certain that Xpresspost does receive a signature in Hong Kong?  I believe that a signature is not always a requirement in some countries although I would think that HK post is fairly efficient.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I haven't read otherwise so I'm expecting that they get a signature.

I'll use ExpressPost.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Priority Worldwide is currently handled by FedEx for Canada Post. Signature included.

Xpresspost International has signature as an option.

Canada Post's view about the free port of Hong Kong:

https://www.canadapost.ca/common/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=H...

-..-

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Shoot....... I shipped via Express thinking that the signature was part of the service as usual.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I know you're almost right on about these things but I'm pretty sure I read that signature was an option with Priority and part of the service with Express.

Did I get that backwards?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Also, when I bought the label I didn't see an option for Signature.

I can always pop over to Insure Post and add more insurance if XPresspost doesn't come with a signature.

Not expecting problems from the buyer but I've had a lot of trouble with China.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I put this exact question to the manger of my local postal counter a few weeks ago and what she told me was what pj has already said: Priority gets handed over to a courier for that end-service, meaning no postal boxes and higher brokerage fees. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

wrote:

... I'm pretty sure I read that signature was an option with Priority and part of the service with Express. Did I get that backwards?

https://www.canadapost.ca/common/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

"Signature is automatically included in the service at no additional charge and is provided when available for Priority Worldwide,  and Xpresspost – International Prepaid Envelopes. Signature is available for a fee for Xpresspost – International items to specific destinations, when chosen at the time of shipping."

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Shoot.  I just paid $90 for shipping via XpressPost because I wanted the signature.  I may just as well have shipped vie Expedited for half the cost.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Oh ho ho. I also had assumed Xpresspost always meant Signature Conformation was available either embedded or as an addiotnal service to purchase. For this reason it is the only international postal service which I offer for my listings of the highest value, as per requirements of Paypal Seller Protection. But this passage makes it sounds slapdash, like maybe it's there for a certain destinations and maybe it's not. Am I reading that correctly?

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Looks like.

Check out that link that dennis posted.  The countries that get signatures are checked and a lot are left unchecked.

Kind of sleazy on the part of CPO.  I hate getting sucked in like that.  May as well ship expedited.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Hong Kong. Priority is the one with Signature Confirmation and not Xpresspost. 

This has been a real learning experience for me, I was operating under incorrect assumptions all this time. 

Fortunately, Xpresspost and Prirorty Pack are essentially the same price so a seller can pick and choose which to use if they know ahead of time to look for it.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 6.05.15 PM.png

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Yup, but do you really want to saddle buyers with courier handling fees?  Those fees can be staggering.

In my book that's not an option either.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

That begs the question: What exactly does that signature mean?

The item gets scanned upon delivery so what exactly does the signature add to it.......... other than buyers claiming that an item didn't arrive when it did?

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

It seems the problem here is that eBay and PP will refund the buyer if there's a claim that the item didn't arrive even though it was scanned upon arrival for items over about $800.

Makes me think that there's no point in buying additional insurance because it's unlikely it would do any good.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

If you are looking for the assurance of Signature Confirmation so that you can meet the requirements of Paypal Seller Protection, third-party insurance is irrelevant to the issue.

If I, as a seller, need a signature on delivery to maintain the Paypal requirement for Seller Protection, I'm utilizing whatever means necessary to gain it, regardless of whether it is courier or postal. Courier-level brokerage fees aren't a factor I would go out of my way to add to any transaction where it wasn't absolutely required by the user agreement; I'm not going to stiff a buyer with higher-than-necessary brokerage fees simply to satisfy my paranoia. If, however, the transaction is valued at $826 CAD and it's destined for a country where Priority is the only service available with the required signature, that's the way it's going to go, period. No hesitation or questions asked. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

wrote:

Looks like.

Check out that link that dennis posted.  The countries that get signatures are checked and a lot are left unchecked.

Kind of sleazy on the part of CPO.  I hate getting sucked in like that.  May as well ship expedited.

There is no expedited international. 

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Just because it hasn't been mentioned specifically the cost of the signature on expresspost international packages is $2.50

I just sent a box yesterday that needed a signature, I had to phone my postie to find out, I also thought it was already included but it wasn't....
Message 20 of 24
latest reply