'False positive' feedback: leave as is or reply to it?

So... this happened. I have a feeling I already know what to do about it (nothing) but wanted to solicit some opinions.

Do I: Ignore or follow-up with a reply?

Usually, I would accept this as constructive criticism since many things I sell might be considered 'a bit on the pricey side for what they are' but in this case, it was a Best Offer counter of $15 on a $10-original offer for a literal one-of-a-kind error card priced at almost $34 which is a legitimate price for a one-of-a-kind error card. I let it go for almost 60 per cent discount to be generous. So the accusation it was pricey rankles in this particular case. 

If I were to entertain the thought of posting a reply, I think it would only draw attention to it, and also serve to make it appear that I am particularly thin-skinned. 

Opinions?

The user was a bit persnickety in other Feedback Left For Others but nothing that shouted red-flag to me. I'd like to hear from some other users about what they would do when faced with something like this. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 1.29.22 PM.png

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: 'False positive' feedback: leave as is or reply to it?

Not much you can say without sounding adversarial.  It was a positive, and your DSR was not affected, so it's probably just best to ignore it and move on.  Buyers are from all economic backgrounds, so what seems expensive to some, to others it's a good deal.  Not wasting time shopping in a crowded mall is already a time/ money saver.  Cheers.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Personally, I would leave it.

As you said, replying would call attention to it, perhaps unnecessarily. If I was a potential buyer and read that, to me it wouldn't reflect on you as a seller but them as a buyer. Everyone's idea of what's "a little expensive" varies, and whether or not it was actually intended for you, I feel that it doesn't reflect negatively on you as a seller either way. Plus, you often say you price to take into account (among other things) the high quality of service you provide, so if the buyer doesn't recognize that, again that's on them not you.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I think if I reply the buyer got a one-of-a-kind item for 60 per cent less than the asking price plus a free gift and that they didn't even pay the full price of the cost of their own postage, I'm the one that will end up looking instead like a Big Jerk. Still, the feedback annoys me. I guess you can't please everyone. Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I agree with the others, don't reply. It's likely that other buyers will notice the buyer's comment only if you do add a comment.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I think if you replied along those lines, you would be inundated with similar offers on all your items from the bottom-feeders.  I suggest you simply block the buyer if it bothers you, and move on.

I recently had a buyer who left false positive feedback.  It was a complicated scenario and I talked to CS to try to have it removed.  They would not remove it, but insisted that I HAD TO leave a comment.  I decided not to, I did have a serious drop-off in sales, but have decided just to ride it through.  I think if I comment, this buyer would also comment using other feedback to do so.  The person seems unpredictable based on several other actions taken, and nothing positive can come from getting into a "**bleep**-for-tat" situation.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

i agree with all the above, i would not take the time to respond,  you can do everything right and still be wrong.. personally i would block the buyer, as it appears that isn't a customer i would want as a return customer.. next time it could be worse..just my opinion..

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Not a malice feedback i'd say

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Based on the belief that Buyers Don't Read, I'd ignore it and let the Positive green donut outshine the negative words.

If anyone does read it, and notices it was a Best Offer, they are as likely to agree that the buyer was 'persnickety'. (Best word today!)

But I suspect that most customers only read the negative and neutral comments for potential problems, not the positive ones.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

You've got to look at your feedback with outsider eyes -- because those will be the eyes that are looking. The viewers won't have the inside story.

And in this case just leave it alone, because it does not really come across as particularly negative comment.

"A little expensive for what it is ... but I still bought it" is how I'd read it with my buyer eyes.

Also, since it's positive, once it's gone from your first page of feedback most folks won't ever see it. When I look at feedback, I check the first page, then a closer look at any negatives or neutrals (not the positives).

To satisfy your annoyance level just block the buyer. No comment required.

-..-

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I always (this is just me) take feedback with a grain of salt. I've worked retail for over 20 years and let's be honest with ourselves, many folks are one fry short of a happy meal and are more than willing to take their frustrations about life out on you.

I've read negative feedback and can usually tell when it was deserved or if it was pretty clear that buyer didn't do the required homework etc. 

I've had offers before where folks would give an offer that was insulting and in the comments (for the offer) they would basically say it was garbage. Of course, you can tell English is a second language, so the sentence isn't as smooth as perhaps it was in their mind. 

I've found the best course of action is leave be. If I feel an offer is insulting, I let it expire. No need to reply. If I reply I might be tempted to say something that would get me in trouble later, or as they say, poke a sleeping bear.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I recently had a buyer who left false positive feedback.  It was a complicated scenario and I talked to CS to try to have it removed.  They would not remove it, but insisted that I HAD TO leave a comment.

This is strange... they will remove a false-positive from a buyer's feedback, but not on a seller feedback page? It's really unfair if that is the case!

As for the main topic, I agree that I would leave it like that. My first instinct would be to reply (so I completely understand you!), but after a few days, I guess I would change my mind. So better let a few days pass and see how you feel. 😉

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I have also found that to be the case.

A few years ago, I had a buyer who left a false positive because the mobile device carries over the exact text left from a previous feedback and she accidentally left it for me also when it was only the prior seller she was annoyed with but it was left with a positive feedback dot. It was confirmed also to be an error via ebay Messages and still ebay Customer Service refused to remove it. Also, because it was positive feedback, it was ineligible for a feedback removal request. It was left to the buyer to call Customer Service and ask for the removal which she never did do. So I left a reply to that one. It looked like a lame excuse but there was nothing else I could do.

On the other hand, I also had a buyer leave neutral feedback for me by mistake which he had also left for another seller of a similar item (also confirmed via ebay Messages) and sent him a revision which he forgot about. Ebay Customer Service did remove that neutral.

Either the rules are changing, or it depends wholly on who you get for a CSR when you call. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Not only would they not remove it, but it was clear that the comment did not even apply to the transaction it was left for, it was a comment about a previous transaction for which positive feedback was left, and a CS rep and a supervisor both declined to remove it on those grounds as well.  Since then, the buyer has opened and closed a SNAD request within an hour, opened and closed a return request within 5 minutes (both for an old transaction) and messaged me multiple times with nonsense.

Take-home message:  the universe is a strange loop, and some days are better than others.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

My view too is that unless the FB is truly nasty and erroneous, replying will just draw more attention to it.  As it stands, it's just a buyer's opinion, the kind of griping customer nobody can ever please.  I think any fair-minded buyer who does bother to peruse your overall FB will see it as such. 

After a few more sales, the comment will get shunted below the scroll line on the page and no one will pay any attention to it.  I'd just ignore it, take a deep breath, and move on. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But I suspect that most customers only read the negative and neutral comments for potential problems, not the positive ones. 

That's a very good point, which -- when I think about -- agrees with the kind of checking I do as a buyer.  If I'm considering buying an item from a seller with whom I've never done any business, I take a look at:

(a) their overall FB score;

(b) their ID, to see how long they've been on eBay and whether (or how many times) they've changed ID; 

(c) I do a quick check through the neutral FB comments first, because I feel buyers who leave neutrals rather than hair-trigger negatives are more likely to have fair and rational complaints.  If I see any complaints repeated, I move on; and 

(d) I check the negatives, not so much the loony remarks, but again to look for repetition of problems.  For example, more than one complaint about no delivery, or not as described, and that's it -- back button. 

I think anyone who has been on eBay for a while will recognize there are "difficult" people who will complain even when they get a bargain.  It boils down to personal opinion or perspective, and happens everywhere -- other online venues as well as B&M retail.  

I agree with the earlier comment made that the FB by this buyer, taken together with the "positive" dot, is essentially neutral when seen from the viewpoint of an uninvolved party.  

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The buyer responsible for my 'false positive' is blocked so that diminishes my irritation but it will only be satisfied when another positive feedback (or two) is left, knocking the offending remark from the top one quoted by eBay in other areas like the Best Offer dialogues.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@nvigate.systems wrote:

If I reply I might be tempted to say something that would get me in trouble later, or as they say, poke a sleeping bear.

Another good point.  If I'm not mistaken, I've seen 3-level comment "wars" on eBay FB pages, i.e. buyers who leave follow-up comments that are worse than their original, fairly neutral remark.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/respond.html

Just focus on making a few more happy customers to bump this person down out of sight.  

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

If I may say one more thing on this subject, I think eBay carries much of the blame for creating unreasonable buyer expectations by constantly advertising 50%, 60%, 70% or more off just about everything under the sun on its landing pages.  

In that sort of world, a 60% discount may be seen by some buyers as the norm, and hence barely acceptable at best.  

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@nvigate.systems wrote:

If I reply I might be tempted to say something that would get me in trouble later, or as they say, poke a sleeping bear.

Another good point.  If I'm not mistaken, I've seen 3-level comment "wars" on eBay FB pages, i.e. buyers who leave follow-up comments that are worse than their original, fairly neutral remark.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/respond.html

Just focus on making a few more happy customers to bump this person down out of sight.  

Ah yes, the ones where they call each other a scammer and liar and fraud and claim it was the other one who was being rude even though it's pretty clear from their feedback chain that they both are...

I love the back button on my browser.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply