FedEx International Economy Question

I think FedEx International Economy to Canada from the U.S. is to be avoided due to high brokerage fees.

Is the reverse true? If I send a $70.00 item via FedEx International Economy to the U.S. from Canada will the customer be charged a brokerage fee?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: FedEx International Economy Question

FedEx is very cagey about their charges to sender or receiver.

But US residents have duty free allowances of some $800US (~$1000Cdn) so without duty no duty processing fees.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I recently used FedEx, hesitantly, for the first time... $65 item to the US and no brokerage fee, according to the recipient. But I've had to pay brokerage fees coming the other way. I don't trust the likes of FedEx, and UPS is abominable. UPS tried to charge a $79 brokerage fee for a $106 item from the US. I took the information to the CBSA office here, completed a self-assessment form, and voila... $0 fee. Returned to UPS with this document and collected the package. (It was the UPS receptionist who told me how to do this.)

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I usually use stamps which I get at a discount but expedited parcel is almost $30 while fedex through eBay is under $18. It is only a $65 item. I just want to be sure there will be no extra charges to the recipient in the US.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

UPS tried to charge a $79 brokerage fee for a $106 item from the US. I took the information to the CBSA office here, completed a self-assessment form, and voila... $0 fee.

Since July 2020, Canadians have had a duty free allowance on US imports of $140 and a tax free allowance of $40.

If your example was before then, we were paying duty and sales taxes on any item valued over $20. (This is still true of countries not in the CMUSA agreement.)

And while Canada Post charges $9.95 for "customs brokerage" private couriers charge $25 and up for the same assessment and collection service.

Another example of how public services work cheaper than private ones.

I totally agree that using a courier will lead to higher customs brokerage fees for Canadians.

But.

Our US customers have a duty free allowance of $800 US (~$1000Cdn) so the question rarely comes up.

EBay does charge them their state sales taxes, but we are all familiar about how that works.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Fedex is horrible, I've shipped 1000's of pairs of used sunglasses through every other courier. And now try FedEx once and they need this drop ball certificate, which I've never even heard of..
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@museumrarities wrote:

And now try FedEx once and they need this drop ball certificate, which I've never even heard of..

Isn't it great that there’s this thing called the internet that you can use to find out more about drop ball certification? 🤪 It seems to be a US FDA requirement.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@museumrarities wrote:
Fedex is horrible, I've shipped 1000's of pairs of used sunglasses through every other courier. And now try FedEx once and they need this drop ball certificate, which I've never even heard of..

You'd think someone who has "shipped 1000's of pairs of used sunglasses" would be aware of U.S. FDA regulations regarding importing medical devices into the country.

Just because you've gotten lucky with American customs in the past doesn't mean you can remain ignorant when they decide to enforce their policies.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply