FedEx charged additional fees for "fuel" and "misc" after delivery

Last week I used eBay's Shipping Labels function for a package to go from Toronto, Canada to Arizona, USA. eBay showed that FedEx International Economy would be cheaper than Canada Post, so I selected FedEx for CAD $17.62. I printed that label on Aug. 30 and dropped it at a FedEx counter same day. It was delivered Sept. 1 or Sept. 2. As of Sept. 5 eBay still showed that I would be charged CAD $17.62

Now, Sept. 7, I'm being charged additional FedEx charges. During eBay support chat, eBay rep says the new fees are: fuel surcharge $4.07;  and  misc fee $4.60.
That's $8.67 on top of the $17.62 that eBay showed when I purchased/printed the shipping label. That's a big percentage increase.

The eBay rep told me that this situation is common, that FedEx often adds fees well after delivery.

The Shipping Labels feature is not useful if we cannot trust it to give us accurate quotes. There's no way to accurately compare options if any shipment can have extra fees tacked on after delivery.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

Last week I used eBay's Shipping Labels function for a package to go from Toronto, Canada to Arizona, USA. eBay showed that FedEx International Economy would be cheaper than Canada Post, so I selected FedEx for CAD $17.62. I printed that label on Aug. 30 and dropped it at a FedEx counter same day. It was delivered Sept. 1 or Sept. 2. As of Sept. 5 eBay still showed that I would be charged CAD $17.62

Now, Sept. 7, I'm being charged additional FedEx charges. During eBay support chat, eBay rep says the new fees are: fuel surcharge $4.07;  and  misc fee $4.60.
That's $8.67 on top of the $17.62 that eBay showed when I purchased/printed the shipping label. That's a big percentage increase.

The eBay rep told me that this situation is common, that FedEx often adds fees well after delivery.

The Shipping Labels feature is not useful if we cannot trust it to give us accurate quotes. There's no way to accurately compare options if any shipment can have extra fees tacked on after delivery.

devon@ebay 

There have been a few reports (Fedex) of this lately. Sellers need to know they got paid the correct amount before shipping because there is no way to recover if a bill gets amended after shipment.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

devon@ebay 

There have been a few reports (Fedex) of this lately. Sellers need to know they got paid the correct amount before shipping because there is no way to recover if a bill gets amended after shipment.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! We have been seeing reports of this as of late and earlier this week the Shipping team met with FedEx to go over some of the issues. I will keep you updated for any future changes that are set to come from it. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! We have been seeing reports of this as of late and earlier this week the Shipping team met with FedEx to go over some of the issues. I will keep you updated for any future changes that are set to come from it. 

devon@ebay 

Appreciated Devon.  Unfortunately there were problems with the original roll out with Fedex almost a year ago when buyers were unable to see correct discounted options for these rates. ( At sellers discretion.) Makes it extremely difficult for many sellers to trust the current direction with AI when much older longtailed issues should have priority and are nowhere closer to being resolved. 

-Lotz

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Just in the last few weeks?   The US boards have complained for years that FedEx  adds on extra charges.  Is it not possible for the ebay calculator to include all charges at the time of the sale? 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I agree with @pjcdn2005   . If you look at those archived Boards  pre-GS P , UPS was criticized for high customs brokerage fees, FedEx was also being criticized for egregious charges after delivery.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I agree with @pjcdn2005   . If you look at those archived Boards  pre-GS P , UPS was criticized for high customs brokerage fees, FedEx was also being criticized for egregious charges after delivery.

Much of this is caused directly by listings not being transparent as to who will be the end mile delivery service. If buyers knew it advance it would definitely change who they buy from. Like Holiday Inn used to include in their ads...."The best surprise is no surprise." When it comes to eBay listing shipped from the USA, Eis or International priority have become vague misnomers. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I thought this thread was about shipping fees, not customs brokerage fees.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

We're supposed to stay on topic? 😧
FedEx was adding to shipping fees then as now, but those long threads, over 5000 posts, were about everything.

And the basic shipping which the innocent seller saw, was pumped with other fees including customs brokerage at the doorstep, or worse, invoiced weeks later.

There are also complaints about FedEx on the dotCOM boards from time to time, where brokerage doesn't come into it.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply