Frustrated with underpaid shipping

I keep getting messages to say I owe for underpaid shipping. I mailed 2 packages last week, I measured very carefully and then add a cm to each measurement and added 10 grams to the weights, and both have come back with underpaid postage. I am wondering how much I need to add each time to make sure I am covered. I repeat, I measure and weigh very carefully.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@vintagenorth wrote:

But if you use the Canada Post website and log in with your Venture One card and then swipe the card at the post office shouldn't it be the same cost? I think it would only be different if you compare Shippo or PayPal which could have further discounts compared to Canada Post business rates.

Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) has 5 different rates. Over-the-counter, and 4 online levels based on your volume of shipping labels in the previous 12 months (under $2500, $2501-5000, $5001-7500, and over $7500). *

PayPal currently only has additional discounts for Small Packet Air (USA or International). Everything else should match the online rate you get from the Canada Post website.

eBay (via Shippo)l has additional discounts for Expedited Parcel (Canada or USA), Tracked Packet USA, and Small Packet Air (USA or International). Everything else should match the online rate you get on the Canada Post website.

* - PayPal and Shippo labels now count towards the Canada Post volume levels.

Didn't Canada Post recently switch that to adjusting a user's tier depending on the previous quarter's shipping volume? Or was that what it used to be? The 'quarter' versus '12 months' determination stuck out in my mind due to there being a fairly significant discrepancy between last quarter and first quarter for many online vendors. Like, you might achieve Tier 3 in the last quarter but can only use it in the first quarter at which point you might have nothing significant to ship. Then in the second quarter when sales performance picks up again, you're back to Tier 1 because you didn't have the volume you did in the last quarter of the previous year. 

Did the issue identified in this post resolve itself? Whatever became of it? What answers were gotten?

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

I called Canada Post and they checked the dimentions on one of the packages and she told me that one one of them I was 2 cm out. I know for sure that I measured carefully, got my husband to check it, and added one cm to each measurement. She told me that the measurements are done by laser.

That would have meant that I was actually 3 cm out on the one, and even adding a cm to the other 2 should have made it more than the actual amount, but there is no way to dispute these charges. She told me the measurements that I had claimed and what the laser measured.

The last expedited package I mailed by Snap Ship, so far no undercharge claimed, but I don't know that it would make a difference.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

They go through a machine like these. http://www.cubiscan.com/   It wont be wrong

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

One thing the lady at CP said was that if the top is a bit bowed, it can add to the dimension. I usually measure the width at the edge of the box, now I will do it in the middle, I think that could have been the problem.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
... Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) has 5 different rates. Over-the-counter, and 4 online levels based on your volume of shipping labels in the previous 12 months (under $2500, $2501-5000, $5001-7500, and over $7500). ...

Didn't Canada Post recently switch that to adjusting a user's tier depending on the previous quarter's shipping volume? Or was that what it used to be? The 'quarter' versus '12 months' determination stuck out in my mind due to there being a fairly significant discrepancy between last quarter and first quarter for many online vendors. Like, you might achieve Tier 3 in the last quarter but can only use it in the first quarter at which point you might have nothing significant to ship. Then in the second quarter when sales performance picks up again, you're back to Tier 1 because you didn't have the volume you did in the last quarter of the previous year. 

"At the end of your first year, and after that at the end of each quarter, we'll review your shipping volumes and upgrade or downgrade your savings level based on your shipping volume in the preceding 12-month period. "

from www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page?

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Oooooh. So. Okay. I've had a Solutions for Small Business (formerly VentureOne) account from the beginning, so that's the reason I'm evaluated quarterly. Thank you. I never thought to check there might be different rules for different users depending on tenure.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Can I ask you something else? Does Canada Post tell you when they move you between tiers? I assume so.

Also, does the purchase of lettermail stamps or Light Packet accrue toward levels as well? 

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Can I ask you something else? Does Canada Post tell you when they move you between tiers? I assume so.

Also, does the purchase of lettermail stamps or Light Packet accrue toward levels as well? 

I have had email updates when the tier level got changed, otherwise nothing.

Lettermail and Light Packet do not count (since they are not considered "parcels"). Small Packet does count.

If you sign in to your account on Canada Post they now have a dashboard which displays the last 90 days of parcel purchases (the $ amounts are taxes excluded).

It will even let you see your current level and amount spent (an easily overlooked link).

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/savinglevel?category=parcel

-..-

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
... Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) has 5 different rates. Over-the-counter, and 4 online levels based on your volume of shipping labels in the previous 12 months (under $2500, $2501-5000, $5001-7500, and over $7500). ...

"At the end of your first year, and after that at the end of each quarter, we'll review your shipping volumes and upgrade or downgrade your savings level based on your shipping volume in the preceding 12-month period. "

The terms of use have been updated on the Canada Post website:

"We’ll review your eligible volumes quarterly. If as a result of a quarterly review we determine that you are on track to exceed your Annual Volume, we may apply a higher Savings Level (resulting in more of a discount) to your account. If we determine that you are not on track to achieve your Annual Volume, we may apply a lower Savings Level to your account (resulting in less of a discount). However, we won’t lower your Savings Level more than once every twelve months, and not within the first twelve months of the date on which we provided you with your Solutions for Small Business customer number."

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=legal_terms_of_use

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

I am getting the same thing from my end but only in the last couple of weeks. It didn't happen before now. Once maybe in the last two years. I measure and weigh things carefully and that's 3 in a week lately.
I also find the calculator almost always overcharges buyers on shipping when we use the calculator so then I refund them the difference. I was told by ebay that they don't have anything in place to track this. I have to do it myself and let them know at the end of the month so that they can adjust my fees. So we pay fees on whatever the buyers pay.
Something is off with Canada Post website and ebay that it keeps on making errors like this.
Message 30 of 38
latest reply

No its coming from paypal or shippo. You can't print another label until the underpaid one is paid. I was wondering about that. But when I went into my paypal account the next time around it let me know I had to pay the underpaid postage of 74 cents.
Message 31 of 38
latest reply

I am getting them from Shippo so doing my labels through paypal. But same problem. Just got a notice of an underpayment. This is just recent that this started to happen.
Message 32 of 38
latest reply

You ‘keep getting’ what? This thread is more than a year old and it meandered some. Are you having problems with ‘underpaid postage’ notices from PayPal?
Message 33 of 38
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2017 containing out of date information.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Canada Post notifies your label provider that you underpaid and they in turn charge you.  It is Canada Post who is ultimately charging you. Make sure that when you measure your parcels that your length, height etc is measured at the widest point,  if the center of the package has a bit of a bulge it might make your measurement a cm or two off and their machines  will catch it.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

The problem is with the Canada Post website.

When I calculate the cost of postage for a Canada Destination I start with Regular Parcel.

Expedited Parcel is obtained when  .... Show minimum online savings ..... is clicked.

The minimum savings should be 5 %.  and this is what shows up at a postal outlet...

The minimum on the website is always markedly higher than 5 %....  and this results in an estimate for postage that is lower than  what is presented at a postal outlet.

When I first saw this problem   Canada Post was contacted....  Talking to then was like talking to a brick wall without ears.

If postage is always calculated using the Canada Post website, then postage based on this website  will always be lower than that determined at a postal outlet.

This applies to shipping within Canada.

--------------------

There also is a problem with the cost of shipping to the US when calculated on Canada Post's website.  It was not possible to figure out what was happening for shipping to the US.

I was able to make a type of adjustment  with $2.00 handling cost  and a bit of careful estimation....  

------------------------------------------------------

I use flat rate shipping ....

for Canada It is based on shipping from Winnipeg to Victoria BC....  I do make refunds if the cost of postage paid by a buyer  is greater than $2.00,   which is the handling fee....

For the US,  it is flat rate shipping, which  is based on shipping from Winnipeg to Arizona...  Area 4 in the US

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

I rarely ship within Canada, but for the few times I have I seem to have been dinged while using Paypal to ship Canada Post quite often.  I have a calibrated scale and always round up my measurements.  The biggest problem I have with the Underpaid Shipping charge is the lack of impeachability .  There's no information as to what the "error" was.  You just have to pay it and be happy with it.

I've since changed to shipping directly from Canada Post's website and not had any issues since (other than their lackluster service and high prices).

Let the Zombie thread live on!

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 38 of 38
latest reply