GTC Photos Missing Fiasco Final Offer Or...?

Is the (generally considered by sellers and quietly, many of the rank & file, as insulting) offer of 500 listings and a few pennies per affected listing eBays "best & final" offer? 

I forgot how to send the bat-signal to staff that participate on this board so if you could please copy/paste and add what needs to be added..............   Thanks much.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

snoopwiz wrote: Is the (generally considered by sellers and quietly, many of the rank & file, as insulting) offer of 500 listings and a few pennies per affected listing eBays "best & final" offer? 

I forgot how to send the bat-signal to staff that participate on this board so if you could please copy/paste and add what needs to be added..............   Thanks much.

tyler@ebay

@happy_pigeon

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

At least you got a offer.... I didn't even get an email regarding the matter, after spending a weekend fixing images for 30-40 listings.

I'm speechless...... 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I received my email on Aug 2, giving me a whopping 10 days to use up their offer of 500 listings. Considering THEY lost the photos, I would have expected a tad more empathy.  The letter is as follow. 

We’re Sorry for Recent Issues with Good 'Til Cancelled Listings
Recently, a number of technical issues impacted some sellers, causing them to lose images associated with their Good ‘Til Cancelled listings. In many cases, we were not able to retrieve the lost images.
Many of you reached out through our community platform and other channels about this issue. While we were working hard behind the scenes to resolve the issue, we could have done a better job of communicating with you.
Sellers make up the backbone of eBay, and we’re committed to making this right. In addition to crediting you back for insertion fees on the impacted listings, we’d like to offer you 500 zero insertion fee listings*, to use until August 12.
Activate the offer now

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience these issues may have caused you, and wish to thank you for being a part of the eBay seller community.
Sincerely,
Andrea Stairs
General Manager, eBay Canada & Latin America

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the copy and paste.... But I should have been reading that message from my message box.

I received my email on Aug 2, giving me a whopping 10 days to use up their offer of 500 listings. Considering THEY lost the photos, I would have expected a tad more empathy.

eBay really dropped the ball on this one.....

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

What was the phrase Marie Antoinette apparently coined?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

"Let them eat cake".... LOL.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I wonder if most everyone affected by eBay having lost their GTC photos are now fully satisfied with Ms. Andrea Stairs offer or just know that by pushing back, as has been the case since, well forever, is futile?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I wonder if most everyone affected by eBay having lost their GTC photos are now fully satisfied with Ms. Andrea Stairs offer or just know that by pushing back, as has been the case since, well forever, is futile?

What did Judge Smails say to his son, Spaulding Smails when they came to the fast food shack located near the golf course? (Caddyshack 1980)

"You'll get nothing and like it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNJq_wI1ns

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

More a final insult than a final offer!

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I have a little under 2000 listings. The number of pictures varies from 1 to 12. I have no idea which are missing pictures. I can’t replace the images without rescanning which is a huge job for big lots of stamps. Checking all the listings I have and fixing the ones that are bad would take a couple of months of 40 hour weeks.

This will cost me sales.

My compensation 500 “free” listings! Let’s see…for my $60 per month subscription I get 1000 fixed price listings on .ca and 1000 on .com plus 500 auctions in my category on each site. So 3000 listings for $60.00. So I get $10.00 worth of “free” listings for damage that would take months of work to fix! And to add insult to injury eBay would make more money on the sales from the extra listings.

Reasonable compensation would be a couple of years of free store subscription free or perhaps 50,000+ free listings to use any time in the next 5 years, or purchase all the listings they messed up.

eBay you messed up big time! Offer something that reflects that!

This is why turbolister which gave off-line backup should not be phased out as is being done.

I had planned to continue with eBay as I have for the next 5 years and then over a few years wind down and end as I am getting older.

With TL going and such shabby compensation offered for their major disruption I will start my wind down now.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Admittedly, one heck of a way to treat one's backbone though. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

In recently checking out some random items, finding a very large quantity of listings with ZERO photos. (Blank in search results.) I wonder how many sellers are actually aware their items are missing their photos? And because of the photo issue these listings will not display. It's the gift that keeps on giving!!!

-CM

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I was not affected by this as I don't have GTC listings so my opinion comes as a 3rd party outsider looking in.

To me what is concerning is that right after the compensation announcement there was a promotion for basically the same thing.  Granted not everyone was invited however at the end of the day there were people who recieved the same 500 listings who were not affected by the GTC problem.  

Customer A - Store subscriber, affected by GTC issues --- Gets 500 free listings

Customer B - Non store subscriber, casual ebay lister -- Also gets the same 500 free listings via the promotion.

I know there were probably some people who fall into both customer A & B however how can you offer compensation that is exactly the same as one of your promotions?  I would love to here the counter argument from ebay as to why they feel the compensation is adequate?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

"I would love to here the counter argument from ebay as to why they feel the compensation is adequate?"

Such an argument would make as much sense as a Flat Earth argument. It is not an offer; it is a gross insult!

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@snoopwiz wrote:

Is the (generally considered by sellers and quietly, many of the rank & file, as insulting) offer of 500 listings and a few pennies per affected listing eBays "best & final" offer? 

It is entirely what you an expect from ebay these days when sellers are viewed as completely disposable (see recent comments from VP Shervin Moghaddam here). At the very least sellers who were disproportionately effected (I don't count myself in that group) should have had 1 month of store fees credited given those were hit hardest by this were sellers with stores and a large number of listings. Throwing free listings at sellers costs ebay nothing, hence that is what was offered, and even that wasn't offered to everyone effected.

Paying actual money hurts GMV in the form of refunded store fees hurts GMV so no chance that would happen unless you escalated up the totem pole. It's unfortunate that ebay doesn't value their sellers given the direct contribution they make to eBay's bottom line. From a corporate point of view the response to this was abysmal in the time taken and remedies offered. If I can't trust ebay with something as simple to manage as an image asset, why on earth would I trust them to handle actual money? 

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Quote from eBay Canada CEO below

"Sellers make up the backbone of eBay, and we’re committed to making this right". 

Chiropractors across our great nation are cringing.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I lost photos from 44 listings. It would/will take me 15 to 20 hours to relocate and re-upload them all.

I’m woefully unsatisfied by the compensation offered. I still can’t believe ebay: (a) allowed this to transpire (b) handed it back to affected sellers to fix and (c) thought 500 free listings was an adequate ‘I’m sorry’ offering.

And ebay wants us to trust them to handle our money directly. Hah.

Yet until sellers organize themselves into lobby groups, we’re just noise. You or I can holler about it until we turn blue, we hold no influence in this. It’s as if there needs to be a sellers association.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply