Has anyone else noticed very slow sales over the last month and a bit?

I have two ebay sites

Westcoastart2 (sells art listed mostly on ebay.ca)

and

Avionsunantiques (sells antiques, listed mostly on ebay.com with some on ebay .ca).

With Avionsunantiques most listings are Good Until Sold, with some unreseved auctions starting at $9.99.

Recently I've noticed even the unresevered auctions have got very little interest (few fews, few watchers, and very low outcomes)

Both sites - which sell different items into different markets are affected with a near shut down of sales (and offers).

Both have 100% feedback.    Nothing usual has occured at my end.    I've tried lowering prices - which didn't seem to have any impact on watchers or sales or offers.

I just did my Quarterly HST/GST and noticed a much higher number percentage of British Columbia Sales (where I'm located) than ever before.     Almost as if a regional exposure change may be occuring on ebay - ie increase in sales in your own province, with a drastic decrease everywhere else.

I suspect some ebay algorthum may have changed.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Yes - it's dead or dying, not sure which!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes these complaints started in October 1995 and have continued every day since.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 you have a great sense of humor, I spit out my drink 😅

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, it's been bad lately. Especially sales to my Canadian buyers. My US sales are only down a bit.

It may have something to do with people traveling again and spending money elsewhere. I really hope it picks up for the holiday season, but I fear Amazon and the big box stores will be the winners there. People are even predicting black Friday will be a dud...
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I received a catalogue from Amazon today, a physical copy dropped in my mailbox. Has a bunch of toys ahead of the Holidays season, no pricing though, just pictures and names of different toys by category. first time I see this, I am not a Prime member, the catalogue was generic ("to the home owner") not addressed to my name, dropped at every house on the street I presumed.

I remember a couple years ago (pre-pandemic) there was a huge advertising campaign by eBay focusing on Brand New Brand Name items sold on the platform (trying to dispell the stereotype that eBay is all old used stuff), the biggest subway station in Toronto was plastered floor to ceiling with eBay advertisements.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I just wrote a long and detailed reply, and when I when I pressed reply, I got this error

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  •  
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

My original reply pointed out some of the other errors that seem to be happenning.    I'm not going to retype them all.    But I thought it ironic there is an ebay problem here too

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This has happened to me a few times in the last couple years. If I'm writing anything "large" before I "post" it I cut and paste the text into a "new email" just incase this happens, so I can cut and paste it back in again here. A few times now it has saved me having to remember/retype everything.....

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

That has happened to me as well, usuaully i just don't even bother trying to reply to the thread at that point.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@westcoastart2 wrote:

I just wrote a long and detailed reply, and when I when I pressed reply, I got this error

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  •  
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

My original reply pointed out some of the other errors that seem to be happenning.    I'm not going to retype them all.    But I thought it ironic there is an ebay problem here too

If you know which post you were specifically responding to and re-open sometimes, but not always it can be still there as a draft. This has been an ongoing issue for many months with posting and general messaging. Happens too with the dreaded cut and paste HTML errors. Trying to fix and resend gets blocked or you will receive the most annoying too many messages error. Even if you have only sent 1 or 2 messages that day.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

🐱😅LOL!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I don't think this is unique to eBay...seeing it on many other sites also (well except maybe for Amazon where I don't think sellers there are complaining too heavily)...

My other selling venue has seen a dramatic decrease in interest/sales over the past 7 months(with over 1400 items listed on my other selling venue that are spread across 2 stores), there have been 5 sales in total on that site since 1st of June) and am now giving eBay a go again(had not listed on eBay since mid-April)...

the only site that has given me any qty of sales lately, has been Facebook Marketplace.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I can't relate for october i personally had my best month since i'm selling on eBay (july-august), but after averaging 1.5 sales/day on around 20 days,  suddently it turned randomly into only 1 in the last 7 days. Even i kept listing at the same pace. Ebay is very weird sometimes, that's hard to understand 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Team Racoons,

That's a very small sample set (3 months). I would expect somebody just starting to grow his sales month over month over that period. The people complaining are decade long sellers with 1,000+ listings, you and I are not there yet.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

FB Marketplace just a bunch of no show low ballers, you can have them, I'll gladly pay the eBay commission not to deal with those people

Message 15 of 15
latest reply