Has anyone made a claim for a damaged item through shipinsurance?

Hi guys, I have a return request from a costumer in the USA for a damaged item received.

I have to send a return label through shippo. The original method of shipping was express post. Would it be fine to use expedited to get it back or I have to to use the same service.

The item is quite expensive over 2000.00 dollars. Will custom know this is a return and don't slap any fees or taxes on it?

Has anyone dealt with putting a claim through shipinsurance?

What should I expect. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Has anyone made a claim for a damaged item through shipinsurance?

@rio1953 wrote:

Hi guys, I have a return request from a costumer in the USA for a damaged item received.

I have to send a return label through shippo. The original method of shipping was express post. Would it be fine to use expedited to get it back or I have to to use the same service.

The item is quite expensive over 2000.00 dollars. Will custom know this is a return and don't slap any fees or taxes on it?

Has anyone dealt with putting a claim through shipinsurance?

What should I expect. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Since it's being shipped back from the US there is no "express/expedited".

Your USPS options are First Class International Package or Priority International, you probably want to use Priority (and would have to if it's over 4lbs).

You need to ensure that the customs declaration specifically states that it is returned goods.

I've never used ShipInsurance but my understanding is that virtually any third-party insurance is better than carrier insurance.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

My understanding is that I can buy this return label through Shippo. How do I send to the costumer. I really need all the help that I can get on this. Thanks.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

My understanding is that I can buy this return label through Shippo. How do I send to the costumer. I really need all the help that I can get on this. Thanks.

You send the buyer a PDF file of the label.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

You do understand that this is a USPS label you will be sending right?

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

I have purchased a return label from Shippo and the process is pretty straightforward.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I went on shippo and on the original shipping order I have the option to buy a return label.

Is that all I have to do? Would shippo than send the label to them or should I send it through eBay as part of the opened claim?

Thanks 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Braces and belt.

Even if Shippo promises, you can also send it as a pdf to the buyer.

He can't use it twice (unless he needs two boxes which is unusual).

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

When you create the return label use as much leftover address lines as you can in sender and recipient to put in capitals "MERCHANDISE RETURN". And stress to the buyer to put that in the customs declaration too.

We had one once that none of this mattered and customs got us for taxes and duty on our own item anyway despite having "MERCHANDISE RETURN" written in 6 places all over the package. We had to pay it or they were going to send it back to the buyer in 5 days. We then had to get all our paper work and submit a claim for our $ back. We got it back about 2 months later and it included the $10 that was charged by canada post.

They sent us a cheque for about $200

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

When you create the return label use as much leftover address lines as you can in sender and recipient to put in capitals "MERCHANDISE RETURN". And stress to the buyer to put that in the customs declaration too.

We had one once that none of this mattered and customs got us for taxes and duty on our own item anyway despite having "MERCHANDISE RETURN" written in 6 places all over the package. We had to pay it or they were going to send it back to the buyer in 5 days. We then had to get all our paper work and submit a claim for our $ back. We got it back about 2 months later and it included the $10 that was charged by canada post.

They sent us a cheque for about $200

@maximus7001 

@rio1953 

Other way for return shipper to mark and keep customs happy so you don't get charged taxes... Canadian goods returned to supplier. For items to be repaired.... Canadian goods returned to supplier for repair. From past experience we just had buyer include copy of original label/customs if they still had on hand. (Suffices as proof)

-Lotz

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Problem being is that you cannot count on the buyer to do anything correctly that is this important at this point. Making so that at the very minimum the return package will have it in 2 places right on the shipping label in capitals and that cannot be ommitted or forgotten.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I have been charged taxes and fees on this return package.

Can you please tell me which documents do they need to start the process to get my money back?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

On the back of the customs form that showed the amount owing there should be information on how to recover those taxes.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

I have been charged taxes and fees on this return package.

Can you please tell me which documents do they need to start the process to get my money back?

Link for claiming tax back.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

-Lotz

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Did the buyer put "RETURN MERCHANDISE" anywhere on the item?

Did you put "RETURN MERCHANDISE" anywhere on the return label you sent the buyer?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

My 'guess' is that putting 'return merchandise' on item only works if the package is sent through the postal system. I have a feeling that when sent by courier, they will still collect the taxes etc.  Of course that's just a 'guess'. Perhaps someone else knows for sure?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Yes a courier will charge. Never ever use a courier for cross border coming to Canada unless the item value is $19.99 CAD or less. They will hit you for sure.

Going to USA is ok if the item is valued under $800 CAD.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Usually, having an item returned to you negates the insurance.

(You can't have your cake and eat it too.)

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

What cake are you talking about. The item is returned because it got damaged.

The claim was made for that reason.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Didn't know that. Live and learn everyday.

Another lesson, expensive, learned.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Yes a courier will charge. Never ever use a courier for cross border coming to Canada unless the item value is $19.99 CAD or less. They will hit you for sure.

For what it's worth, the tax-free limit for items sent by courier from the United States has been C$40.00 since the new free trade-agreement was enacted.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply